Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Who is the hidden coach? (5 Viewers)

Boondock_St_Sker

That Dude
Elite Member
A lot about the Performance Nutrition is based on individual athlete and the fueling/recovery methods used. Foods consumed prior to a game, in game fuel, post game recovery are essential to peak performance of athletes.

I haven't seen anything ground breaking from Coggin to suggest that she is an elite RD, Dave Ellis on the other hand developed in game fueling tactics to keep the team hydrated and performing (at a nutrition level) better than what I've seen from Coggin...just my opinion

DrumMonkeyRobot

Cornerback
Elite Member
A lot about the Performance Nutrition is based on individual athlete and the fueling/recovery methods used. Foods consumed prior to a game, in game fuel, post game recovery are essential to peak performance of athletes.

I haven't seen anything ground breaking from Coggin to suggest that she is an elite RD, Dave Ellis on the other hand developed in game fueling tactics to keep the team hydrated and performing (at a nutrition level) better than what I've seen from Coggin...just my opinion
Can you give examples of what you've seen to suggest Ellis is superior at "in-game fueling tactics?" Can you describe, in detail, what Croggins is doing vs. what Ellis was doing?

BluesBucksNHuskers

Running Back
Elite Member
I’m pretty ignorant on this but would I be wrong to assume that just general knowledge about nutrition for athletes and the impact macros have on different aspects of performance has progressed light years in 30 years?

I just have to assume it’s progressed a bit since I was doubling up sweatshirts and spitting jolly rancher juice into a bottle to make 135 pounds 20 years ago.

Walter Sobchak

Master of smoking meats and trees
Elite Member

This is true for the most part, but can you honestly say the team is worse off at in game hydrating and fueling than when he was here? Because my eyes say no, it's been better with Kristen. The players agree, they weren't really big fans of Dave

dom91932

Cornerback
Elite Member
Here is the article:

LINCOLN, Neb. — When Marcus Satterfield joined Matt Rhule as Nebraska’s offensive coordinator 17 months ago he told the Huskers’ new coach about a nutritionist that he should try to hire. Instantly, Rhule’s curiosity jumped.

“Satt’s one of those guys who is all football,” Rhule said.

If Satterfield was talking about nutrition, Rhule figured he had discovered something special. So Rhule reached out to Kristin Coggin, who had spent the past six years at South Carolina — including the 2021 and ‘22 seasons alongside Satterfield.

Jump to a morning scene this week at the new Osborne Legacy Complex. Nebraska football players filed in and out of Coggin’s office, situated at a corner of the main intersection on the ground floor, adjacent to a large refueling station between the gleaming weight room and recovery headquarters.

At 33, Coggin, the Huskers’ director of performance nutrition, commands respect in her chair. The daughter of a dietician and retired U.S. Army Reserve major general, she’s paid like a boss at $190,000 per year, and Nebraska apparently got her at a bargain. Coggin is the best in her business, according to Rhule.

“She’s phenomenal,” he said. “That’s not hyperbole. She’s that good.”

Coggin directs a staff of five full-time nutritionists, including performance chef Julian Franklin and chef Jordan Eubanks. They work with the football program exclusively. Their task begins with the creation of specialized feeding plans for every player on the roster. But there’s much more to it.

“Not everyone is going to make it to the next level,” Coggin said. “Not everyone is going to have to work out or run anymore. But they’re always going to have to eat.”

Her staff dives deep into educating football players about nutrition. Athletes learn to prepare food. Cooking demonstrations for visiting recruits serve as a preview of players’ time in the program.

Coggin is known to arrive at work before 4 a.m. on mornings when the Huskers practice.

“She’s amazing in that there’s no detail too big or too small,” Rhule said. “She has a personal relationship with all of the players. She has a personal relationship with most of their families. She’s as passionate about what she does as Donovan Raiola is about O-line play, as Tony White is about tackling.

“I’ve never had anyone like her work for me. I literally don’t have to worry about anything in that world. I don’t think you could find a player on this team and mention her name who wouldn’t say, ‘Oh, my God, this is what she means.’”

Coggin tends equally to the nutrition needs of Nebraska coaches and their families. When Rhule visited Scotland in March, Coggin asked him to text her pictures of his meals. When a group of Muslim players observed Ramadan, Coggin made an eating plan to fit their fasting schedules.

She pushes secondary coach Evan Cooper to simply eat more food. She reminds Rhule to refuel between meals. Coggin understands the food allergies of everyone connected to the program.

“Relationships don’t stop when you leave the office,” Coggin said. “Nutrition never takes a break. We are constantly working on things to make this place even better.”

Soon after Rhule received the recommendation from Satterfield, he brought Coggin to Lincoln for an interview. In that conversation, Coggin said she saw that their visions and standards aligned.

“It was like, ‘Wow, this man supports everything that I’m about,” Coggin said. “Why would I not want to work for him?’”

Rhule asked her what she would need to do her job better than anyone in the country. Coggin grabbed a pen and paper and wrote it out for him.

The complexity and cost of her plan stunned Rhule, never mind the commitment to execute it. But he appreciated Coggin’s candor and confidence.

Rhule carried the request to athletic director Turd Alberts.

“I was nervous to take it up there,” Rhule said. “But to Turd’s credit, he did it.”

Coggin learned about ambition along the path to Nebraska from her mentors in the nutrition and dietary environment. Born and raised in Pulaski, Tenn., she attended Tennessee — where her father and her brother went to school — and walked on the rowing team.

The sport was new to her. But she earned a scholarship after one semester. When diagnosed with Celiac disease and treated for the autoimmune disorder triggered by the body’s reaction to gluten, her athletic performance jumped.

She began in college as an engineering major and later applied to dental school. But Coggin found her calling in athletics after working with Allison Maurer, a sports nutritionist at Tennessee.

Coggin earned a degree in psychology and another in nutrition. A dietetic internship in California followed. She worked with respected nutritionist Becci Twombley at USC. Coggin’s first full-time job at Alabama in 2015 connected her with Amy Bragg, who helped bring NCAA reform that allowed nutritionists to work in step with student-athletes to create personalized eating plans.

In 2017, Coggin left Alabama to run her own program at South Carolina.

Along the way, she observed former Tennessee basketball coaching legend Pat Summit and worked with a list of coaches that included Lane Kiffin, Butch Jones, Steve Sarkisian, Will Muschamp, Shane Beamer, Avery Johnson, Dawn Staley, Frank Martin and Nick Saban.

“If you want to be the best,” she said, “you’ve got to work with the best.”

As much as coaches impacted Coggin, relationships with players resonated more deeply. Her list of favorites includes Raekwon Davis at Alabama and Gamecocks Deebo Samuel, Javon Kinlaw, D.J. Wonnum, Jaycee Horn, MarShawn Lloyd and Xavier Legette, selected last month in the first round of the NFL Draft.

Many of Coggin’s former players stay in touch with her. The same type of connections are blossoming at Nebraska.

“She’s opening doors for the guys on our team to see the parts of their lives that some of them might not have known they had,” Rhule said.

For instance, Coggin said she expects that defensive lineman Elijah Jeudy will build on his Nebraska experience to work as a chef.

This spring, under Coggin’s direction, Nebraska held 11 cooking demonstrations for its football players and two “Chopped” competitions, playing off the Food Network show on which individuals receive a basket of ingredients and work to create something tasty from it.

By early this summer, Nebraska’s new training table on the second level of the Osborne Complex will open. It’s there to serve all student-athletes — not just football players — and it will feature an expanded demo kitchen in addition to numerous upgrades over the existing facility.

Food consumption is serious business for Division I athletes. In whatever way Coggin can make it fun and educational, she will. But she’s also as tough as any coach on the staff.

“I tell the players all the time,” Coggin said, “don’t think I won’t call your mom.”

On a normal practice day, Coggin’s recommended breakfast for an average Nebraska player includes five or six eggs, three or four pancakes, bacon, fruit and yogurt. After practice, it’s time to down a 900-calorie protein shake, then she wants them to eat again every two hours from 12:30 to 8:30 p.m.

Her staff monitors water consumption, too. For each player, one gallon per day, plus electrolyte-laced sports drinks, is the minimum.

“It gets repetitive,” Coggin said. “They eat a ton of food. Some of them get tired of eating. And it looks different for all of them. But they have to be consistent.”

For a picky eater like Riley Van Poppel, it can be challenging. He’s a 280-pound defensive lineman who would like to add another 10 to 20 pounds during his collegiate career. Van Poppel arrived at Nebraska a year ago around 270 pounds.

He lost a few pounds while playing as a true freshman. So now, he’s making progress.

“I’m a plain guy,” he said. “On sandwiches, I like meat and cheese, not much else. Same with my burgers. I could eat steak and potatoes all day. My biggest struggle is with greens, the veggies, and trying to get bigger but also slim down my body fat.”

Coggin got him to do something Van Poppel’s mother could not — mix spinach into his post-workout shakes.

Alecia Van Poppel is amazed by Coggin’s work with Riley. In 18 years at home, she could hardly get him to try a vegetable.

“I’m like, ‘What?’” Alecia Van Poppel said. “‘He’s eating greens?’ She’s getting him to eat broccoli and teaching him the leaner side about food? I love that.”

Riley’s older siblings played volleyball and baseball at smaller colleges. The thought of sending Riley to a big football program scared his mom. She worried that he’d get lost in the mix.

“Who’s going to take care of him?” she said. “But once I met coach Rhule and his staff, that put me at such ease. He answered some really honest questions I had for him about these situations that a mom thinks about. Where does he turn to?

“So I felt comforted in that way. And I continue to be comforted by the communication.”

Coggin tries to attend every meal that’s served during recruiting visits. Her message to parents when she meets them: “We genuinely do care about these kids. It’s scary to leave them, but we’re going to teach them some skills. And then I am like (his) mom away from home.”

Coggin’s office in the new complex sits near Corey Campbell and Mitch Cholewinski in strength and conditioning and sports science. They meet at least once a week and share data on every player, often involving athletic medicine, sports psychology and player development in the conversations.

Riley Van Poppel said he marvels at Coggin’s dedication to the Huskers’ nutrition.

“I think she’s unbelievable,” Van Poppel said, “her and her staff as well. It’s hard for me to eat what I need, but they’re always recommending new things. They’ll sit down with me and plan out a weekend. And (Coggin) is always there.

“Even if you don’t want her there, she’s there.”

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
“Even if you don’t want her there, she’s there.”
wedding crashers GIF by hero0fwar

Boondock_St_Sker

That Dude
Elite Member
Full disclosure, I'm basing what I know of Coggin off what I'm being told by my daughter who worked for Dave and has been around Coggin. I'm biased b/c my daughter learned a TON from Dave.

All the stuff I'm reading above was done by Dave initially, I think once the Frost Effect took hold, Dave started to see the writing on the wall and kind of gave up. Still did his job but probably knew something was going to happen.

I'm not doubting Coggin's ability to lead the Nutrition Staff and if she has the respect of the players more than Dave did...GREAT!!

But like has been eluded to...food is food. It's getting the players to buy in to what you're selling and if she's better at that than Dave was...I'm on board.

Like I said, I'm biased and honestly didn't think you sumbitches were going to have such a YUGE reaction...lol

CornHub

Offensive Lineman
Full disclosure, I'm basing what I know of Coggin off what I'm being told by my daughter who worked for Dave and has been around Coggin. I'm biased b/c my daughter learned a TON from Dave.

All the stuff I'm reading above was done by Dave initially, I think once the Frost Effect took hold, Dave started to see the writing on the wall and kind of gave up. Still did his job but probably knew something was going to happen.

I'm not doubting Coggin's ability to lead the Nutrition Staff and if she has the respect of the players more than Dave did...GREAT!!

But like has been eluded to...food is food. It's getting the players to buy in to what you're selling and if she's better at that than Dave was...I'm on board.

Like I said, I'm biased and honestly didn't think you sumbitches were going to have such a YUGE reaction...lol
My understanding is Dave Ellis is a genius and is absolutely the best at nutrition for sports performance. However, Ellis often times didn't take into account whether or not the players wanted to eat the food he required them to eat. Often times players would throw away what he had made and go buy Canes. Nutritious food is worthless is the players won't eat it.

Walter Sobchak

Elite Member
Can you expand on this? I'm actually curious and this is a serious post
I used to work at the Cornhusker Marriott as exec sous chef and chef de cuisine. The team stays there before every home game and we did all the friday night meals, snacks, breakfast on gameday, pre game meals, etc... so we had regular meetings with Dave and the nutrition staff under Frost, and with Kristin/coach Rhules nutrition staff. Dave wanted literally 80 plus hand made items for every meal, would come into the kitchen and start changing his mind on stuff as we're making it to the specs he agreed to 72 hoyrs prior. Kristen was awesome, very demanding but also very cool to work with. Gordon Thomas also, really solid guy.

^^This is correct, especially the part about seeing the writing on the wall and kinda saying fuck it. Frosts last year was super weird to be around, especially seeing him try to sneak in a side door at 5am to go back to his room and shit. I let his ass in the north doors of the basement ballroom (same room blozo went balistic on shortbus in) and he looked like total shit lol still drunk I think.

I just feel Kristin is far more professional and cares more about the players. Dave was good too but seemed more focused on things not involving husker football and that were more personal business type dealings, especially in 2022

Stan Raymond

Cornerback
It's a results-driven business. If the players ignore one of them and look like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag it doesn't really matter how knowledgeable they are, they failed at their job
I think the biggest difference between Frost's and Rhule's Strength and Conditioning staff and Nutritionist is the culture difference. The players want to be together and improve more under Rhule's staff than Frost's. It's not so much the individual S&C coaches or Nutritionist are better, but the whole development concept from eating, lifting and practicing is preached about by all involved and is something that all that interact with the players believe in and are adamant about. I think the culture is making the difference not the talent of the S&C coaches or the Nutritionist. It's about the player's buy in to the development, the difference between the S&C coaches and nutritionist is small, but the difference between players believing and doing it is great.

Lionsfan93

Running Back
Recruiting Analyst
Nebrasketball
tPB OG
Coggin is NOT better than Dave Ellis
I have a buddy who's daughter worked for the previous nutrition staff and was let go when Coggin came onboard. He was furious that they were making a change to the nutrition staff. His words were literally, "These kids eat like kings up there! Steak, fries, mac and cheese....whenever they want and as much as the want!"

I didn't have the heart to argue with him...

Walter Sobchak

Elite Member
I have a buddy who's daughter worked for the previous nutrition staff and was let go when Coggin came onboard. He was furious that they were making a change to the nutrition staff. His words were literally, "These kids eat like kings up there! Steak, fries, mac and cheese....whenever they want and as much as the want!"

I didn't have the heart to argue with him...
Well, he was right, they did eat like kings haha. It was apparent looking at our team...

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds