Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Who’s Johnny Mitchell? (1 Viewer)

tman87

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Are you seriously too young to remember Johnny? Guy was a fucking stud that should never have come to NE.

Mickey was his qb. Mid to late 80s. Mickey was an awful thrower.

Guess it was 90-91 and 91-92 then went to the draft.

I knew Johnny quite well, spent a lot of time with and around him. There are things I could expand upon.... quite a few of them, but not gonna go there. Not gonna do it with the stories, but he was as talented as they come. Should have been a hall of fame TE in the NFL with the level of talent he possessed. Even without really utilizing his talent as well as he could have, he was still a stud. WR speed, Lebron James size/body type, ambidextrious, strong, huge mitts and could catch anything one handed. Could throw a ball pretty much the length of the field with either hand, saw it many times. He had every bit of talent that any TE has ever had - all time great type of talent. He drove the coaches crazy though, and eventually it was time for him to move on.

He got away with a lot that others wouldn't have (not talking illegal/bad stuff, just stuff non blue chip guys would be booted for - not drugs, roids, etc to my knowledge btw), because T.O. knew we needed his talent on the field. But eventually a coaching staff and team knows it can't continue any longer. That is basically what happened with Johnny at NU, and probably pretty much at every stop he had in the NFL. Is what it is. Blue chippers lived under a different set of rules then (and probably always have, including now). I saw some things that would make you shake your head like "WTF, did that really happen with that guy and he's still on the team?". That is big time college football - Blue Chip talent guys get a LOT of rope.

11husker23

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Is this guy nuts or is he going to take us to our next national championship? Seems a little off his rocker but he’s not a bit wrong about anything he says here. He has the fire and mindset Football coaches need.

When I was about 10 or 11 he was back visiting my friend's dad around the 4th of July and spent a great deal of that time throwing fire crackers and M-80s at me and my friend. He did give us a lot of football cards and signed some of them. I think I still have them somewhere.

tman87

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
I think he was going to go to Miami but Jimmy Johnson went to the NFL and he flipped to Nebraska.

He had enrollment/grades issues I think. We brought in a lot of guys that way. But he was a blue chip recruit/talent, no doubt.

I just deleted a bunch of stuff I said I wouldn't get in to. Probably doesn't matter now, but I'd rather not divulge things on this stuff, even 30 years later. Not gonna go there, even though I am tempted for some reason.

He was a hell of an athlete, that's for sure. Had all the tools.

11husker23

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I just remember him towering over me when I was a kid. He was huge seemed like he could break me in half with one hand.
blinking trailer park boys GIF

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds