Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Washington torn ACL (1 Viewer)

David Webb

JCTJB
Elite Member
LOL…good stuff. But, given we’ve thrown the ball like 30 times (yes, ridiculous overgeneralization)…lot’s to make up with his loss
I get your point, but here are the actual numbers. Sims and HH have combined for 70 completions out of 130 passes. Washington has 11% of those receptions. They have thrown 5 TDs and he has caught none of those. It’s a depth loss, but no one should act like the passing game is going to get dramatically worse because he is gone.

Tsakoi

Running Back
Elite Member
I get your point, but here are the actual numbers. Sims and HH have combined for 70 completions out of 130 passes. Washington has 11% of those receptions. They have thrown 5 TDs and he has caught none of those. It’s a depth loss, but no one should act like the passing game is going to get dramatically worse because he is gone.
I think it's just the case of death by a thousand little cuts.

No Washington wasn't some high production player, but losing him, Garcia-Castenada, Betts...etc.... just diminishes the overall offense drip by drip. Could a freshman step up? Possibly. Hopefully. But until that happens this is just another wound in an already injured beast.

cwessel76

Run The Damn Ball
Elite Member
tPB OG
Is it the BHWRHG or the BHWWOWRLG (Big Hairy White Walk-On Wide Receiver Loving God)?
Well it’s a polytheistic religion so whoever is appropriate.

I personally pray to the GUSGOLGD god (Get Us Some Good Offensive Lineman God Damnit). So far he has forsaken me.

Cookiemonster

PIIHB
Elite Member
On the upside our wr room should be loaded with experience next year. Snag one big timer off the portal and Washington can be a solid 2 or 3.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
He's a pretty damn good run blocker...
Of all the players on the offense who have been on the field for 100+ running plays he has the highest run blocking grade for the season per PFF. No way Coleman, Doss or Lloyd will be that proficient in the short run (although Coleman has done a pretty good job so far himself). It's a blow to the running game for sure.

nja13

2x All-state FG/PAT holder
Elite Member
Ok I'm willing to forgive Betts again and welcome him back.
Me, too...

this-is-the-last-time-ashwin-ganesh.gif

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG

Injuries pile up, Washington is the seventh Husker to suffer season-ending injury​

Washington's injury is just the latest hit to the Husker receiver room. Nebraska lost Zavier Betts when he left the program just 19 days prior to the season opener, and Isaiah Garcia-Castaneda tore his ACL as well in the opener against Minnesota.
Washington is the seventh Husker to be lost for the season due to injury. He joins Garcia-Castaneda, RBs Gabe Ervin Jr. (dislocated hip) and Rahmir Johnson (dislocated shoulder) and DB Dwight Bootle (shoulder) who were all lost for the season with injuries against Northern Illinois, plus true freshman linebacker Maverick Noonan (knee) who was hurt toward the beginning of fall camp. Also, DL Brodie Tagaloa is out for the season after an off-season car accident left him with a knee injury and significant cuts on his face.
Those are in addition to key injuries on the offense:
>> QB Jeff Sims, who has missed the last four games after suffering a high-ankle sprain against Colorado.
>> FB Barret Liebentritt (elbow) has missed the last two games.
>> WR Jaidyn Doss, who suffered a broken arm in the middle of fall camp but returned for his first snaps versus Illinois.
>> OL Ethan Piper, who has not missed any games but has been playing with a cast on his hand.
On defense:
>> DL Cam Lenhardt, who luckily avoided a serious injury against Northern Illinois and finally returned against Illinois after recovering from an ankle sprain.
>> SAF DeShon Singleton, whose knee injury kept him out against Illinois and will leave the Huskers without him "for an extended period time."
>> LB Luke Reimer, who got hurt in the first half against Louisiana Tech and missed the Michigan and Illinois games after a hospitalization for an unrelated issue.
Rhule said he's never been a part of a team with this many injuries to key guys. At receiver, he says there are a number of guys who will need to step up and take advantage of the opportunities they'll get in games with Washington out.

So, in a previous life on a previous message board, everyone would be slowing turning and pointing fingers and hurling accusations at the S&C staff for improper conditioning that turned our players into:

1) slow moving, swollen river barges or
2) made of glass

Is this just an odd series of co-inki-dinks, or should some questions be asked of Campbell and company about their approach. IIRC, we have "world class" strength, nutrition and recovery resources available for our athletes.

And yes, I realize we play a tough brand of hut hut in a tough hut hut conference and injuries are part of the game. I'm simply asking the question if it's OK to start asking some questions about our approach. I lack the expertise to form a qualified opinion, but anecdotally, it doesn't look great.

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
So, in a previous life on a previous message board, everyone would be slowing turning and pointing fingers and hurling accusations at the S&C staff for improper conditioning that turned our players into:

2) made of glass

Is this just an odd series of co-inki-dinks, or should some questions be asked of Campbell and company about their approach. IIRC, we have "world class" strength, nutrition and recovery resources available for our athletes.

And yes, I realize we play a tough brand of hut hut in a tough hut hut conference and injuries are part of the game. I'm simply asking the question if it's OK to start asking some questions about our approach. I lack the expertise to form a qualified opinion, but anecdotally, it doesn't look great.
it's been such a random collection of injuries I don't think we can make any connection, plus the team overall looks better and moves better. I also think you'd see more injuries spread across both sides of the ball rather than almost all on offense.

if anything I wonder if the more physical practices results in the defense kicking the shit out of the offense most days

Tonkasker

Safety
Elite Member
Cockeye
it's been such a random collection of injuries I don't think we can make any connection, plus the team overall looks better and moves better. I also think you'd see more injuries spread across both sides of the ball rather than almost all on offense.

if anything I wonder if the more physical practices results in the defense kicking the shit out of the offense most days

If this cluster included some OL/DL guys I'd be less hesitant to say it's a S&C issue. Larger bodies are typically your bellwether of a true problem rather than bad injury luck

Irv

Wide Receiver
Elite Member

2) made of glass

I think we can safely say the injuries are a hangover from Old Man Riley's laissez faire and/or communist management style.

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG

2) made of glass

I think we have 2-3 ACLs?

Otherwise it seems like an assortment of random injuries.

If I remember correctly:
Sims - Ankle
Reimer - Staph
Singleton - Knee
IGC - ACL
Washington - ACL
Johnson - Shoulder
Ervin - Hip

KidsSeeGhosts

Quarterback
Elite Member
In particular under the old staff we had a lot of true freshmen with shoulder injuries/leg injuries shortly after coming on to campus before they even hit the field

huskersoup

Linebacker
Elite Member

2) made of glass

The only time fans hold some weight in critiquing S&C training is when you have a wide array of soft tissue injuries. (Which we have had issues years past)

Otherwise it is just bitching to bitch

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
The only time fans hold some weight in critiquing S&C training is when you have a wide array of soft tissue injuries. (Which we have had issues years past)

Otherwise it is just bitching to bitch
Not my intention to bitch. As stated in my post, I'm asking the question if it's OK to start asking questions about our approach. I also noted I lack the expertise, and I'm seeking the opinions of qualified posters who might have some insight into these injuries.

The consensus seems to be they're not S&C staff related, which is reassuring. In hut hut - as in real life - shit happens, either randomly or as assigned by The Simulation™

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds