Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

UNL + UNMC To Combine Research $ - Part Of Push To Rejoin AAU (1 Viewer)

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
AAU status probably isn't even that controllable anymore, but Little Tone can't unilaterally kick schools out. Maybe Nebraska's juice isn't worth the squeeze but color me skeptical that as long as Nebraska continues to be near the top of the conference in tv ratings for basically everything they put on TV of Nebraska sports that we're at any serious risk of being removed

This is exactly right.

Scheduling now isn’t about fairness. It is about content creation. That’s why you’ll see Nebraska continue to get tougher schedules than teams like Cockeye.

Tell_Sackett

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
I actually think they're less of an issue now in the Power 2, FOX/CBS/NBC/Peacock days. FOX execs do not care about your schools research dollars.

I actually think this is the UNL admin using this as a cudgel to get some of his academic initiatives supported. He's intentionally playing up the "Big Ten could move on from us" thing. Which is basically a lie.

I mean MAYBE there's some sort of effort in the B1G admins to get some schools to up their (academic) game. But they just let in Oregon, and they're dead last in several of the key academic categories so I kind of doubt that. If this was a big deal they wouldn't have let Oregon in. Oregon's worse than NU in almost every key academic factor that they supposedly value: research dollars, admission rate, test scores. Their endowment is lower than ours too.

I don't know if anyone saw this from TOS, but it looks like the BIG is warning Nebraska regarding AAU status.
View attachment 35091
Stanford should have been PAC target #1 if the AAU is their number one factor.

That said, I hate not having it, particularly when it was essentially removed due to a technicality from my understanding.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
AAU status probably isn't even that controllable anymore, but Little Tone can't unilaterally kick schools out. Maybe Nebraska's juice isn't worth the squeeze but color me skeptical that as long as Nebraska continues to be near the top of the conference in tv ratings for basically everything they put on TV of Nebraska sports that we're at any serious risk of being removed
Also with CFB moving to a professional/minor league model, I'm wondering why the AAU would be a factor at all.

It's already a sham that these CFB players are considered "student athletes"....it's only going to be more so in the next 5 yrs.

Maybe this has something to do with the W2/employee model that the B1G is going to adopt?

I'm kind of surprised by this because I believed that FOX essentially ran the B1G at this point and they'd never recommend dropping Nebraska. As others have mentioned, not only are we good for ratings but we single handedly hold up BTN & BTN+ throughout the entire year.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Also with CFB moving to a professional/minor league model, I'm wondering why the AAU would be a factor at all.

It's already a sham that these CFB players are considered "student athletes"....it's only going to be more so in the next 5 yrs.

Maybe this has something to do with the W2/employee model that the B1G is going to adopt?

I'm kind of surprised by this because I believed that FOX essentially ran the B1G at this point and they'd never recommend dropping Nebraska. As others have mentioned, not only are we good for ratings but we single handedly hold up BTN & BTN+ throughout the entire year.
The big ten toot sniffers can pretend they care about academics all they want, but when it comes down to a dollars and cents calculation, I'd shit my pants if there is one that is unfavorable for Nebraska that doesn't also put at least 2/3 of the conference at risk

Frogsker30

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Fuck me if im wrong but... Nebraska has been overall athletic success then Maryland, Rutgers, northwestern one could argue Illinois, and the whoosiers. We also bring in more revenue then them.

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG

HCFord1

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
Gun to my head it was taken out of context regarding future members
This was my first thought reading it. Seems to be a priority list for expansion rather than a requirement list retaining membership. If you're trying to be taken seriously as an athletics conference, you don't kick out Nebraska and retain Rutgers.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds