Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

University at Buffalo Book report (1 Viewer)

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
I decided to do one here anyway....

• Just for clarification we are not playing the Bills, but if we were I wouldn't be worried as Josh Allen has historically struggled against the Blackshirts.
  • Passing attack.
    • They have a serviceable QB in Kyle Vantrease.
      • He completed 62% of passes last year.
      • He is usually only asked to throw it about high teens or low 20s if things are going right. In 2 of the 3 games he wasn't in this area they either lost or was a 1 score game.
      • They really like throwing the ball on 1st down or I should say getting vertical on 1st down. They went 10/11 for 204 of their 254 yds came on 1st down vs Wagner. Their 1st TD came on a 1st down bomb to Ruiz.
    • They don't have anything that is overly impressive at WR IMO. They are similar to NW WRs in how they just run good routes and catch the ball, but lack athletic ability.
  • Rushing attack
    • This is where they want to make their $
    • They lost over 50% of their returning production when Patterson left.
    • Marks and Cook had a good game. Marks averaged 6.62 yds a carry last year. Marks is the guy who they want to have as their bell cow.
    • Their OL is gutted. They return 2 good OL. MACs top OT in Jake Fuzak and OG Jake Klenk. Both are seniors. Otherwise the rest of their OL is a gut job. I will say I feel their replacements are well coached.
    • They will be running a spread power.
  • Defense
    • Their best player in James Patterson. All MAC LB. 3 year leading tackler of Buffalo.
    • They have a stud DE (Riggins) who missed all of 2020. Their play by play guy said he would get close to K. Mack's sack record there.
    • Pass rush for Buffalo is a good unit. They averaged almost 3 sacks a game, but had 2 games that weighed that down. They were consistently getting 4 sacks a game.
    • Rush D was OK
    • Secondary was good enough to help them win last year. I do feel there will be opportunities here if we hold up in pass pro. Kent State put up 343 yds against them for 3 TDs and a 167 passer rating. Kent State was one of the teams that didn't take sacks against Buffalo only allowing 1
  • 2020 Fun stats. Came across these in my research...
    • – 3rd Quarter Scoring: Buffalo 91 – Opponents 13
      – Field Goals: Opponents 7-of-12 – Buffalo 1-of-4
      – Sacks: Buffalo 20 for 127 yards – Opponents 1 for 9 yards
  • HC Maurice Linguist
    • Their new HC was the Dallas DB coach. Has an interesting resume. Shocked he didn't have a stop at Nebraska.
    • 1631161521021.png
  • Buffalo is also just 1-9 all-time against Big Ten opponents, with the lone win coming in 2018 against a hapless Rutgers squad that finished the year 1-11.
My take

This strikes me as a very senior team that is well coached. They want to run the ball and play action pass vertically off of it. They have WRs we should be able to lockdown on the edge if we keep them off schedule. If they stay on schedule all bets are off, but they won't beat you here.

I worry about our OL vs their DL. Big plays will be there in the passing game, but we need to protect 2AM.

This is a team I think that I feel is maybe slightly better in terms of talent than Illinois, but depth will be a problem for them. At the end it comes down to Nebraska executing. We have more talent,, but not enough talent to beat ourselves.

Keys
  1. Stop Buffalo rushing attack. Do this and their offense capabilities go down.
  2. Protect 2AM. I think you do this by staying on schedule, running the ball and not shitting your pants on the OL.
  3. Frost needs to have a good handle on the game. This is a dangerous team. We need to execute and not let little mistakes become big ones.
Picks to click.
1. 2AM - I there are some big opportunities for him to make big plays if we can stay on schedule on offense.
2. Give me Heinrich. With them running the ball the way they do I expect him to be very busy.

Prediction
31-21

Sources

Segment 7

Analytics basically saying it is a dead heat

Conversation with a friend

***Additional info ***

98 degrees outside during the game is the high. I think this buffalo team has some nice pieces but they don't have the depth. If we can stick with a similar offensive game plan we had vs FU I expect this buffalo team to be gassed at the end.

1631229773128.png

Last edited:

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Just think how much more bang for their gift card Hyvee could be getting if they sponsored the better Dean
damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad

MrKnightedHusker

Linebacker
Elite Member
Thanks for the primer, really like it.

Two things that will be interesting for me to watch:
  • how well Buffalo players react to playing in front of the biggest crowd of their lives (and hopefully loud a bit hostile)
  • if the Buffalo team is wired up with their new shiny coach - they have the vibe of a team playing together and getting the most out of each other - and they have nothing to lose by laying it all out on Saturday

Daddy

Running Back
Elite Member
Really good write up Dean. Thanks for doing that.

I'd also like to point out that there are 2 Nebraska kids who play for Buffalo. Jack Hasz and Nolan Gorzynka (SP?) both play OL. Haszy graduated from Prep and played at Cockeye Western. Had a few D-2 offers and some FCS walk on offers out of HS. Bet on himself and it paid off when he signed with D1 Buffalo. He got some PT last week but I don't know that he will this week. I'll be rooting for him though. Great kid, great family. His dad Roger served in the military and deployed during Desert Storm and both of his siblings were standout athletes in their own right. Don't really know much about Nolan. I think signed with Buffalo out of high school, but not sure on that one.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Really good write up Dean. Thanks for doing that.

I'd also like to point out that there are 2 Nebraska kids who play for Buffalo. Jack Hasz and Nolan Gorzynka (SP?) both play OL. Haszy graduated from Prep and played at Cockeyes Western. Had a few D-2 offers and some FCS walk on offers out of HS. Bet on himself and it paid off when he signed with D1 Buffalo. He got some PT last week but I don't know that he will this week. I'll be rooting for him though. Great kid, great family. His dad Roger served in the military and deployed during Desert Storm and both of his siblings were standout athletes in their own right. Don't really know much about Nolan. I think signed with Buffalo out of high school, but not sure on that one.
I played ball with I think his older brother Jake before they went over to the other side of the river.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
– 3rd Quarter Scoring: Buffalo 91 – Opponents 13

This one scares me
Yup #1 in the nation in 3rd quarter scoring.

1631200766456.png

Last year Nebraska was 4.8 for context. This year they are averaging 7 points.

Buffalo put up 21 points in the 3rd vs Wagner.

Daddy

Running Back
Elite Member
I played ball with I think his older brother Jake before they went over to the other side of the river.

I think you mean the GOOD side of the river...

I always knew there was something I didn't like about you but I couldn't put my finger on it. I can smell you turds buckets from a mile away.

Kidding aside, Jake was one of my best friends in junior high after they moved and high school. Roger taught my sisters when they were in junior high and made friends with my parents. It's wild to think that the little butthead we used to kick the shit out of is gonna be playing football against Nebraska this weekend. Kid's always been a monster. So proud of him.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
and DONU is maybe the worst 3rd quarter team EVER...

Suspicious Meme GIF by MOODMAN

not trying to be funny, coy or snarky... I like Buffalo to win outright. ML is the play for you degenerate gamblers.
I'm going in to Saturday with this expectation. I'm going to drink a lot, and watch Nebraska suck and lose to fucking Buffalo. That's what I expect to happen based on Frost teams tendency to shit themselves, play down to their competition, not make adjustments, and them probably out play us to begin with. Adrian will turn the ball over, the OL will suck, and I'll be angry drunk. Fuck.

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
I'm going in to Saturday with this expectation. I'm going to drink a lot, and watch Nebraska suck and lose to fucking Buffalo. That's what I expect to happen based on Frost teams tendency to shit themselves, play down to their competition, not make adjustments, and them probably out play us to begin with. Adrian will turn the ball over, the OL will suck, and I'll be angry drunk. Fuck.

perfect excuse to get drunk and eat a fuck ton of Buffalo wings tho

Pay for it all with Buffalo +14

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds