Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Trevor Lawrence Jr. (aka Zane Flores) (2 Viewers)

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Between Smothers, Haarberg, and Dicky Torres, I'm not sure what they are trying to do at QB
It is easy.... Before Lubick they wanted an emphasis on running ability. Once Lubick got here they started looking for QBs who were more like....

College Football GIF by Pac12Network

Snockered69

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Give me someone who can sling the rock across the field. Flores is a breed of Milton at UCF imo. Quick solid decision making, accurate with good arm talent. As far as speed, Milton was quicker but it wasn't like he was a blazer.

jw3

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Gretna pulled a Nebraska on special teams...
  • Blocked FG
  • Muffed punt return
  • Bad snap on the punt that was a TOD back to the LOS
Westside should have won this game handedly.

Zane I don't know if he is athletic enough for us, but man he can spin it. A couple of those throws tonight were really big boy throws. It will really depend on who we get as an OC if we get involved. He has really improved a ton.

I imagine you will see him start to get more P5 offers this summer.
am I the only one who can give a fuck less how athletic the boy is? if he can throw it at a Big Ten level, take him.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Give me someone who can sling the rock across the field. Flores is a breed of Milton at UCF imo. Quick solid decision making, accurate with good arm talent. As far as speed, Milton was quicker but it wasn't like he was a blazer.
I'm deeply biased towards guys who can be regular fixtures in the run game. I think it raises the ceiling of the offense in a division that isn't particularly well equipped on defense to stop it.

Snockered69

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
am I the only one who can give a fuck less how athletic the boy is? if he can throw it at a Big Ten level, take him.
IMHO what's old is new again. An offense with a pocket QB that can make accurate throws is harder to defend than the mobile QB. Bama is kind of a bad example because they have 5* QBs and oodles of talent everywhere but in case anybody has been watching Saban has been trending toward Pro Style QBs after dabbling in the dual QB market.

Snockered69

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
I'm deeply biased towards guys who can be regular fixtures in the run game. I think it raises the ceiling of the offense in a division that isn't particularly well equipped on defense to stop it.
JMO but the dual threat QBs tend to just pad stats now days. Defenses have adjusted and the dual threat guy offenses stall out in the red zone because they generally can't throw into tight windows. Also the top 10 offenses in College Football right now, only one offense, has a QB that has run for more than 300 yards for the entire season. They mainly all run when they have to. The top OC's I think see this trend of better QB throwers as the "new age" offense.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
JMO but the dual threat QBs tend to just pad stats now days. Defenses have adjusted and the dual threat guy offenses stall out in the red zone because they generally can't throw into tight windows. Also the top 10 offenses in College Football right now, only one offense, has a QB that has run for more than 300 yards for the entire season. They mainly all run when they have to. The top OC's I think see this trend of better QB throwers as the "new age" offense.
Ya I think you want to have the pass first guy to help keep your QB healthy mainly.

I don't want a statue is my big thing. Not saying Zane is that but I have a bar that is pretty low on athleticism from the QB position.

I do know running the ball becomes very hard if you aren't very very good upfront without QB run game or an rpo game. The numbers aren't there to do it in the end.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I don't think dual threat guys are necessarily deficient in the red zone. I get that lots of top offenses don't have dual threat guys at the helm, but lots of them (I assume) have talent that Nebraska won't have for quite a while. I think competing at the top is a second or third order problem right now and finding a guy who can make some things happen with his legs is something that will help Nebraska compete in the west right now.

I don't think we're fishing in the pond of guys with great arm talent and pocket presence either way so I'd rather take a guy with some passing deficiencies who can run compared to one who can't.

Snockered69

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Ya I think you want to have the pass first guy to help keep your QB healthy mainly.

I don't want a statue is my big thing. Not saying Zane is that but I have a bar that is pretty low on athleticism from the QB position.

I do know running the ball becomes very hard if you aren't very very good upfront without QB run game or an rpo game. The numbers aren't there to do it in the end.
Yeah I'm not in search of a Big Ben for this college team, our Oline would have him split in half by game one..

Btw I adjust my researched stats from total offense to total scoring offense.

20211124_001030.jpg top 10 scoring offenses and their QBs:
Tanner Mordecai 65 carries for 182 yards. SMU

CJ Stroud 25 carries for 0 yards OSU

Bryce Young 57 carries for 14 yards Bama

Kenny Pickett 89 carries for 209 yards Pitt

Sam Hartman 44 carries for 146 yards Wake

Bailey Zappe 39 carries for 28 yards Western Kentucky

Grayson McCall 66 carries for 188 yards Coastal

Stetson Bennett 35 carries for 233 yards Georgia

Desmond Ridder 83 carries for 325 yards Cincy

Caleb Williams and Spencer Raddler 96 carries for 449 yards Oklahoma.

64th Scoring Offense: Adrian Martinez 131 carries for 512 yards

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
He throws a nice ball. Both of these teams look terrible though. I'm an admitted class b homer but both of the teams from last night would give both of these teams problems.
I don’t think so. North Platte rolled Aurora during the regular season. North Platte would get bitch slapped by both of the class A finalists. Class B teams typically don’t have the depth to roll with the best of class A teams.

jaihawk

Running Back
Elite Member
I have heard that the big knock on him is throwing to his left (or at least that was at FNL). I haven't seen any film on the kid, so maybe those that have seen him in oercan chime in.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds