Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Things going well for the Pac12 (1 Viewer)

Ext. 55

Big Poppa
Elite Member
tPB OG
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Are tv markets as big of a deal with now? With streaming and nothing being on the "local channels" anymore anyways is it that big of a deal? I grew up in the Dallas area. I didn't know a single SMU fan. Everybody there either cheers for Texas, OU or A&M with a few Tech/Baylor fans sprinkled in.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Are tv markets as big of a deal with now? With streaming and nothing being on the "local channels" anymore anyways is it that big of a deal? I grew up in the Dallas area. I didn't know a single SMU fan. Everybody there either cheers for Texas, OU or A&M with a few Tech/Baylor fans sprinkled in.
As long as cable is bundled and there are enough fans to be able to stick your conference network on tv packages, yeah they matter.

Given the insane number of streaming services and price hikes on them, I wonder if good ole cable tv will have a resurgence

DrinkItIn

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG
Too bad the B12 is adding the likes of Houston, UCF, Cincy, & BYU. They could have had a nice collaborative with the P12 after OU, TX, USC & UCLA leave.

B12
Cockeye State
Kansas
KSU
Oklahoma State
Baylor
T. Tech
W. Virginia
TCU

P12
Oregon
Arizona
Oregon State
Arizona State
Washington
Colorado
Washington State
Utah
California
Stanford

18 Team League would have worked. There is a lot more football history and cache here than adding Houston, UCF, Cincy, & BYU.

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I have to imagine Boise St is one of the least valuable teams out there to a conference.
I would think that a stronger product would be most valuable to a conference, even over TV markets. Boise is a much more notable program that would have potential to strengthen the conference more than SDSU and SMU.

No one is clamoring to watch SMU football other than SMU alumnus. If it's all about markets, go get San Jose State, they are in the #6 market in the country. University of Pacific is in Stockton, #20 market - even bigger than San Diego...

Premier product should be the goal first, THEN go after markets once you have a stable and consistent product. Losing UCLA and USC and filling their slots with SDSU and SMU makes no sense. You just became a worst conference - 3rd tier at best. Focus should be on closing the gap. SDSU has potential to get there, Boise St would have potential to get there. I just don't see it from SMU as much.

As i typed this I realized...they Pac12 is likely just going to be a lower tier conference when this all shakes out...there really isn't any "big name" to go after. Geographically, they are pretty landlocked in terms of available notable teams. Unless they want to abandon geography entirely and try to coup some of the mid-level teams other conferences are snagging - they really are just stuck with SDSU, Boise, hell try SMU, Wyoming, UNLV, etc...just dog shit comparatively. Their best play might be to call up Montana and throw a hail mary hoping that an FCS school could jump up and compete with the big boys.

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
As i typed this I realized...they Pac12 is likely just going to be a lower tier conference when this all shakes out...there really isn't any "big name" to go after. Geographically, they are pretty landlocked in terms of available notable teams. Unless they want to abandon geography entirely and try to coup some of the mid-level teams other conferences are snagging - they really are just stuck with SDSU, Boise, hell try SMU, Wyoming, UNLV, etc...just dog shit comparatively. Their best play might be to call up Montana and throw a hail mary hoping that an FCS school could jump up and compete with the big boys.
With this in mind - Does the Pac12 have the balls to shrink back to the Pac10 and focus on growing their schools to a premier level. Beef up their non-con schedules. Become giant killers. And make the playoff run through the Pac10 whether people like it or not.

If you can get Stanford, Colorado, Washington (seemingly strengthening), Arizona State all back to what their best has been - then coach Oregon State to stable results off of the platform they've built over the last 2 years, and up the level of Cal, Washington State, Arizona, add that to the power of Utah and Oregon - all of a sudden, the Pac10 might be respectable again. Until then, you're just worrying about how long you get to keep Oregon and Utah before they decide they are too important for your shit conference.

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
With this in mind - Does the Pac12 have the balls to shrink back to the Pac10 and focus on growing their schools to a premier level. Beef up their non-con schedules. Become giant killers. And make the playoff run through the Pac10 whether people like it or not.

If you can get Stanford, Colorado, Washington (seemingly strengthening), Arizona State all back to what their best has been - then coach Oregon State to stable results off of the platform they've built over the last 2 years, and up the level of Cal, Washington State, Arizona, add that to the power of Utah and Oregon - all of a sudden, the Pac10 might be respectable again. Until then, you're just worrying about how long you get to keep Oregon and Utah before they decide they are too important for your shit conference.
the biggest question mark with all this is what happens to recruiting in the LA area. none of the above can happen without those schools recruiting well in LA, but with the USC/UCLA move it might open that area up to the rest of the Big 10

with the rumors of the Big 10 going to a schedule with 3 annual games and 6 rotating games, that gives a huge advantage to whichever schools get USC/UCLA as their annual games. I hope Turd is pushing hard for NU to be one of those

Husker_in_OK

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
PAC12 is screwed but their potential additions make more sense from a market standpoint. San Jose St or Pacific don't make sense because you already have Stanford and CAL in Northern California. PAC12 offering San Diego St makes more sense because you've just lost UCLA and USC in Southern California and they need to do their best at re-establishing the SOCAL market

But really there is just not a lot of formidable options out there right now.. It would have been best for the PAC12 and BIG12 to form an alliance. that's their best hope of being relevant ..

BYU would have made a lot of sense to the PAC12, but BIG12 got to them first .. bad timing for that conference ..

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds