Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

The RSS chat is now sponsored, too, and it's glorious (1 Viewer)

David Webb

JCTJB
Elite Member
main-qimg-d73d367e5b4c4494cf29857bb698fc51.webp

Johannes de Silentio

Offensive Lineman
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Honestly, it doesn't matter. Similar to all the signing day outages. They've had ample time and opportunity to not associate themselves with Rivals.
It would be really fascinating to sit down with Callahan and speak candidly about his thoughts on Rivals. I have a feeling, at least privately, he's probably not very happy about what that network has done for his site in comparison to 247 with Schaefer et al. While I don't think there's any question that HOL remains the more popular Husker site, that's been done largely in spite of Rivals lately than because of it. Just think of all the ways 247 beats Rivals:

1) 247 has the more appealing composite ranking, so Rivals is already taken into account, but you get a more holistic evaluation. I won't speak to their respective evaluations one way or another, but that composite is a differentiator for sure.

2) The national and, often, regional guys at 247 eat Rivals' lunch. Steve Wiltfong versus Mike Farrell and Adam Gorney? My God. Just think of how many times over the recent years we've had very important recruiting news broken over on 247 by a national, regional, or team guy and it's only then brought to HOL. It's happened the other way, too, but the ratio must be damn near 10:1 or greater.

3) Whenever I see another media outlet--television, radio, print--using recruiting rankings, it seems like its from 247. I know 247 has some ties with CBS, so that probably helps, but I see them on BTN and places like that, too. It's gotten to the point where if I hear Rivals rankings discussed outside of a Rivals site, I take notice of how unusual that is. That can't be good long-term for growing a site that's largely being sold on the basis of recruiting information. I feel like this gap has really grown over the past five years or so.

4) There is, in general, just much less uniformity and collaboration among Rivals sites. Exhibit A on this is the horrible introduction and execution of the FutureCasts. That's something they had to innovate with due to 247 killing them with the Crystal Ball. Not only did it take years to even get it installed, but usage is spotty and you actually have to work to find out when a new prediction has been made. Beyond just that, though, you frequently have other team sites breaking news on 247, e.g., we found out that Kaden Johnson was gone from Evan Flood at the Wisconsin 247 site. Evan Flood is a known commodity over there. Could you imagine that happening on Rivals? I can't.

So you have all of the above that makes 247 a superior network to Rivals. Rivals has a better-looking format and better message board functionality. That's about it. Everything else is entirely on the basis of HOL being the older, more-established site with a much better board community and then whatever team-specific sport and recruiting coverage Callahan and the guys bring. The problem is that Schaefer et al. aren't chopped liver so the network disparity is really starting to show.

Anyway, that's a bunch of stuff, but I suspect Callahan is acutely aware of all of it. The problem for him is that his subscriber model is based at least partially on having the recruiting portion of it. Losing the Rivals side there would be tough, and it's not like he can switch over to 247. There isn't really a third option. So he's stuck.

Blackshirts_Win_'ships

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG
It would be really fascinating to sit down with Callahan and speak candidly about his thoughts on Rivals. I have a feeling, at least privately, he's probably not very happy about what that network has done for his site in comparison to 247 with Schaefer et al. While I don't think there's any question that HOL remains the more popular Husker site, that's been done largely in spite of Rivals lately than because of it. Just think of all the ways 247 beats Rivals:

1) 247 has the more appealing composite ranking, so Rivals is already taken into account, but you get a more holistic evaluation. I won't speak to their respective evaluations one way or another, but that composite is a differentiator for sure.

2) The national and, often, regional guys at 247 eat Rivals' lunch. Steve Wiltfong versus Mike Farrell and Adam Gorney? My God. Just think of how many times over the recent years we've had very important recruiting news broken over on 247 by a national, regional, or team guy and it's only then brought to HOL. It's happened the other way, too, but the ratio must be damn near 10:1 or greater.

3) Whenever I see another media outlet--television, radio, print--using recruiting rankings, it seems like its from 247. I know 247 has some ties with CBS, so that probably helps, but I see them on BTN and places like that, too. It's gotten to the point where if I hear Rivals rankings discussed outside of a Rivals site, I take notice of how unusual that is. That can't be good long-term for growing a site that's largely being sold on the basis of recruiting information. I feel like this gap has really grown over the past five years or so.

4) There is, in general, just much less uniformity and collaboration among Rivals sites. Exhibit A on this is the horrible introduction and execution of the FutureCasts. That's something they had to innovate with due to 247 killing them with the Crystal Ball. Not only did it take years to even get it installed, but usage is spotty and you actually have to work to find out when a new prediction has been made. Beyond just that, though, you frequently have other team sites breaking news on 247, e.g., we found out that Kaden Johnson was gone from Evan Flood at the Wisconsin 247 site. Evan Flood is a known commodity over there. Could you imagine that happening on Rivals? I can't.

So you have all of the above that makes 247 a superior network to Rivals. Rivals has a better-looking format and better message board functionality. That's about it. Everything else is entirely on the basis of HOL being the older, more-established site with a much better board community and then whatever team-specific sport and recruiting coverage Callahan and the guys bring. The problem is that Schaefer et al. aren't chopped liver so the network disparity is really starting to show.

Anyway, that's a bunch of stuff, but I suspect Callahan is acutely aware of all of it. The problem for him is that his subscriber model is based at least partially on having the recruiting portion of it. Losing the Rivals side there would be tough, and it's not like he can switch over to 247. There isn't really a third option. So he's stuck.
He's stuck now for sure, and it has to be brutal being stuck while easily clearing 200k a year while living in Lincoln. He made his choice, likely a wise one personally, but he doesn't get to hide behind that when the tit he's sucking makes him look like the boob he is.

DuckSker

RedSeaFarts=Sandalwood
Elite Member

Wiltfong put the Dickerson to Oregon crystal ball in about an hour after Sean was saying “i feel good about our chances with him”

It’s crazy how plugged in Wiltfong is nationally.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member

Spot on

RoscoePound

Bench Warmer
Elite Member

Hey now, Dean knows the owner of Tanners personally. You can DM him if you have any service concerns and he will see to it that any issues are taken care of.

Give me a fvcking break...

hothouse_corn

Wide Receiver

Sometimes when your posts are too short, I start to worry your health. I consider this well-thought-out post to be like a @Johannes de Silentio "I'm safe" check-in.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds