Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Ted Carter comments on the future of the B1G (2 Viewers)

whoboppin

Linebacker
Part of me enjoys the intrigue of this CFB version of “Game of Thrones”, but the rest of me mourns the game and conference affiliations I grew up with. I hope they get it right.
The old Big 8 and Big 12 days were fun, but now I am very pro expansion and want to get this league to 24 or 28. I personally dont give a shit about Big Ten tradition. Maybe its the variety, but I would much rather have this be a national conference and play Miami, Notre Dame, FSU, North Carolina, Washington, and even Stanford then Purdue, Indiana, and Illinois.

With no connection to the Big Ten, it just sounds a lot more fun to play teams we don't play often all across the country under an expanded conference umbrella. I do also very much like old Big 12 rivals in nonconference games as well.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
The old Big 8 and Big 12 days were fun, but now I am very pro expansion and want to get this league to 24 or 28. I personally dont give a shit about Big Ten tradition. Maybe its the variety, but I would much rather have this be a national conference and play Miami, Notre Dame, FSU, North Carolina, Washington, and even Stanford then Purdue, Indiana, and Illinois.

With no connection to the Big Ten, it just sounds a lot more fun to play teams we don't play often all across the country under an expanded conference umbrella. I do also very much like old Big 12 rivals in nonconference games as well.
I get it. From a fan perspective, those matchups you highlighted are intriguing. But at some point, what's even the point of being in a restricted membership conference if they're truly "national" in nature? Why not have the "Top 50" football programs simply break apart and form the NFL-lite, create a new entity responsible for managing the TV contracts / revenue distribution and scheduling?

The athletes are already getting paid, and a new structure would also be responsible for some form of revenue sharing with the athletes themselves. California already has revenue sharing legislation under discussion (they led the way on NIL, IIRC), so it's coming anyway. The NCAA has outlived their usefulness in managing the sport anyway, IMO.

Separate the academic affiliations and the athletics and be done with it once and for all. Non-revenue/Olympic sports can live under their own "regional" affiliations for travel expense containment and Title IX compliance. Let's face it - trying to manage the behemoth entities that major college football programs have become in today's TV revenue world in the same bucket as the rest of the university sponsored sports has been "unwieldy" at best, and a complete clusterfuck for everyone else. The Athletic Directors can breathe a sigh of relief as their compliance issues got a whole lot simpler without football to deal with in the same bucket as women's tennis.

Fuck it. Pull the pin, push the plunger. Let's just get it over with.

Stan Raymond

Cornerback
I get it. From a fan perspective, those matchups you highlighted are intriguing. But at some point, what's even the point of being in a restricted membership conference if they're truly "national" in nature? Why not have the "Top 50" football programs simply break apart and form the NFL-lite, create a new entity responsible for managing the TV contracts / revenue distribution and scheduling?

The athletes are already getting paid, and a new structure would also be responsible for some form of revenue sharing with the athletes themselves. California already has revenue sharing legislation under discussion (they led the way on NIL, IIRC), so it's coming anyway. The NCAA has outlived their usefulness in managing the sport anyway, IMO.

Separate the academic affiliations and the athletics and be done with it once and for all. Non-revenue/Olympic sports can live under their own "regional" affiliations for travel expense containment and Title IX compliance. Let's face it - trying to manage the behemoth entities that major college football programs have become in today's TV revenue world in the same bucket as the rest of the university sponsored sports has been "unwieldy" at best, and a complete clusterfuck for everyone else. The Athletic Directors can breathe a sigh of relief as their compliance issues got a whole lot simpler without football to deal with in the same bucket as women's tennis.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some of that happen. I do expect the SEC and the B1G to eventually break from the NCAA in football.

whoboppin

Linebacker

Thats kind of what I hope happens. The SEC and BIG Ten get to 24-28 teams each and then break off and are essentially the NFC and the AFC of a new college football. I dont think it would be as structed as the NFL, but can be a quasi version of it. Teams would still be able to play nonconference games against teams not within the SEC/BIG league for example.

If I were in charge I would implement the Pod System. It owuld work perfectly with 24 teams. The Conference BIG & SEC become more like the AFC and the NFC. The Division becomes more like what a conference is currently. Then the Pod becomes what the current division is. Id rotate the Pods every 2 years, and after every 6 years rebalance the Pods so they dont become unbalanced. You play everyone in your Conference at least once in 6 years.

Otherwise, I would add a conference title semi final game, and have a 4 team playoff for the top 4 teams to win the conference title.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Yeah like others in this thread it just seems inevitable to me at this point. I don't think the toothpaste is going back in the tube. I preferred when college sports were a quirky unique enterprise, but clearly it's all going to become a semi-pro league of the top 50-ish schools, all driven by TV money, and it'll feel completely different. I'll still love NU football, but I can't imagine I'll ever quite get used to whatever it becomes.

It'll be interesting to see how fans' brains change with the times too, with things like W/L records. When we're playing against ONLY the top 50 schools every year, going above .500 is probably going to be pretty impressive. We won't really be able to compare stats or W/L records to previous eras, because every game is going to be much more difficult, on average, than seasons before the big merge.

Yeah it will be cool and novel for awhile when our schedule looks like:

Wisconsin
at Ohio State
Northwestern
Miami
at USC
at Virginia Tech
Illinois
Michigan State
at Washington
North Carolina
at Michigan
Cockeye

But the hill to climb is gonna be steep as fuck when every season looks like that! Haha. I'm one of the weirdos who likes to be able to work out kinks against lesser foes, and have some easy wins every once in awhile. That will definitely not exist anymore once this all goes down.

DrinkItIn

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG
Yeah like others in this thread it just seems inevitable to me at this point. I don't think the toothpaste is going back in the tube. I preferred when college sports were a quirky unique enterprise, but clearly it's all going to become a semi-pro league of the top 50-ish schools, all driven by TV money, and it'll feel completely different. I'll still love NU football, but I can't imagine I'll ever quite get used to whatever it becomes.

It'll be interesting to see how fans' brains change with the times too, with things like W/L records. When we're playing against ONLY the top 50 schools every year, going above .500 is probably going to be pretty impressive. We won't really be able to compare stats or W/L records to previous eras, because every game is going to be much more difficult, on average, than seasons before the big merge.

Wisconsin
at Ohio State
Northwestern
Miami
at USC
at Virginia Tech
Illinois
Michigan State
at Washington
North Carolina
at Michigan
Cockeye

But the hill to climb is gonna be steep as fuck when every season looks like that! Haha. I'm one of the weirdos who likes to be able to work out kinks against lesser foes, and have some easy wins every once in awhile. That will definitely not exist anymore once this all goes down.

Agreed. My guess would be that if it comes to this, there will be some sort of preseason games against lesser foes—possibly even spring games against lesser foes.

whoboppin

Linebacker

Wisconsin
at Ohio State
Northwestern
Miami
at USC
at Virginia Tech
Illinois
Michigan State
at Washington
North Carolina
at Michigan
Cockeye

I would guess they would still allow nonconference games against teams not in the league at least at first. Maybe move to a 10 game conference schedule and have 13-14 regular season games. They will be like if we are paying these dudes, they can play another 1-2 guaranteed games.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
I would guess they would still allow nonconference games against teams not in the league at least at first. Maybe move to a 10 game conference schedule and have 13-14 regular season games. They will be like if we are paying these dudes, they can play another 1-2 guaranteed games.
Yeah that would be pretty cool. I just wish the NCAA or someone could just take charge and come up with a grand plan for all this stuff. Just tell us fans the ultimate goal. Instead it's been 15 years now of slow motion destruction/reconstruction with conferences, playoffs, NIL, transfers, etc. The constant change has ironically become boring. I understand that it's not that simple haha, but if the first century of college football is inevitably going down the tubes anyway, I kinda wish they could just build the new version from scratch.

Who's in/who's out, commissioner/overarching institution, players as paid employees, player union, set transfer rules, set playoff size and playoff system, set transfer rules, all of that structure HAS to solidify at some point. Kinda crazy that it probably won't happen for another 10 years at least.

Last edited:

Toe

Wide Receiver
the rest of me mourns the game and conference affiliations I grew up with.

IMO it's mostly mourning for a conference that hasn't existed in a long time.

Some say we should've stayed in the Big 12. But to me, the creation of the Big 12 is what kinda wrecked the only traditional game that really mattered: the Oklahoma rivalry. And of course, that wouldn't be recovered if we went back to the Big 12 today. Would anyone really be happier if we played K-State and Cockeye State every year again?

4481.jpg

nja13

2x All-state FG/PAT holder
Elite Member
Well,yeah. That's what he said, isn't it?

Some say we should've stayed in the Big 12. But to me, the creation of the Big 12 is what kinda wrecked the only traditional game that really mattered: the Oklahoma rivalry.
Kinda funny that a major part of conference realignment and scheduling these days is always protected rivalry games that mustn't be interrupted. Where was that sentiment when OU and NU were being broken up? I am guessing that the reason was because Nebraska was so good – best in the country and racking up nattys – and Oklahoma was so bad (3-8 in the first year of the Big 12, losing 37-0 the last year of the Big 8) when the Big 12 was being formed that Oklahoma didn't want to play Nebraska every year, so they didn't fight to preserve the game.

Imagine someone suggesting that happen to the Michigan Ohio State game.

Last edited:

Stan Raymond

Cornerback

Some say we should've stayed in the Big 12. But to me, the creation of the Big 12 is what kinda wrecked the only traditional game that really mattered: the Oklahoma rivalry. And of course, that wouldn't be recovered if we went back to the Big 12 today. Would anyone really be happier if we played K-State and Cockeye State every year again?

4481.jpg
I do miss the old Big 8, but I never liked the Big 12, it was the beginning of a different era of college football. Returning to the Big 12 is a foolish though, it's not the conference that we left. Who wants games against Houston or West Virginia? Big 12 was doomed from the beginning when they made a new conference instead of having the SWC teams join the Big 8, way to much Texas influence in the whole thing that is eventually destroying the conference, but those that voted with Texas get what they sow.

Alum-Ni

Quarterback
Stats Guy
Regents propose placing athletics under the direct supervision of Ted Carter instead of under the university chancellor. Carter would also take UNL's seat on the Big Ten's Council of Presidents and Chancellors.

Two members of the University of Nebraska Board of Regents have proposed making system President Ted Carter responsible for providing policy direction and oversight to Husker Athletics.

Lincoln Regent Tim Clare and Regent Rob Schafer of Beatrice have recommended the change, which would put regents closer to the decision-making process of the athletics office. The proposed bylaw revision will go before regents at a special meeting May 31 as an informational item. It would then be put to a board vote on June 22.

In a joint statement, Clare and Schafer said Husker Athletics is "the single most iconic brand in the state of Nebraska."

"It makes sense for the president of the university system, with a direct line to the Board of Regents, to have oversight of the program that serves as the front door to the university for so many Nebraskans," they said.

The Board of Regents is responsible for hiring the system president. The president, in turn selects campus chancellors whose hires are later approved by the board.

Currently, the campus chancellors are responsible for choosing leaders for various campus offices, including the athletic director.

Intercollegiate athletics programs, particularly those in the so-called Power 5 conference, are large and complex entities "with enormous financial, legal and reputational implications for their entire institutions," the regents added.

"We're in the midst of the most intense period of change in our lifetimes for college athletics. Nebraska needs to stay on the leading edge of this new normal."

Carter will also take over UNL's spot on the Big Ten Council of Presidents and Chancellors, which has oversight of the conference's policies, budget and operations, as well as hiring of the conference commissioner.

The change to regents' bylaws would not affect the athletic departments at the University of Nebraska at Omaha or the University of Nebraska at Kearney.

If approved by the regents in June, the bylaw change would take effect on July 1.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
Regents propose placing athletics under the direct supervision of Ted Carter instead of under the university chancellor. Carter would also take UNL's seat on the Big Ten's Council of Presidents and Chancellors.

Two members of the University of Nebraska Board of Regents have proposed making system President Ted Carter responsible for providing policy direction and oversight to Husker Athletics.

Lincoln Regent Tim Clare and Regent Rob Schafer of Beatrice have recommended the change, which would put regents closer to the decision-making process of the athletics office. The proposed bylaw revision will go before regents at a special meeting May 31 as an informational item. It would then be put to a board vote on June 22.

In a joint statement, Clare and Schafer said Husker Athletics is "the single most iconic brand in the state of Nebraska."

"It makes sense for the president of the university system, with a direct line to the Board of Regents, to have oversight of the program that serves as the front door to the university for so many Nebraskans," they said.

The Board of Regents is responsible for hiring the system president. The president, in turn selects campus chancellors whose hires are later approved by the board.

Currently, the campus chancellors are responsible for choosing leaders for various campus offices, including the athletic director.

Intercollegiate athletics programs, particularly those in the so-called Power 5 conference, are large and complex entities "with enormous financial, legal and reputational implications for their entire institutions," the regents added.

"We're in the midst of the most intense period of change in our lifetimes for college athletics. Nebraska needs to stay on the leading edge of this new normal."

Carter will also take over UNL's spot on the Big Ten Council of Presidents and Chancellors, which has oversight of the conference's policies, budget and operations, as well as hiring of the conference commissioner.

The change to regents' bylaws would not affect the athletic departments at the University of Nebraska at Omaha or the University of Nebraska at Kearney.

If approved by the regents in June, the bylaw change would take effect on July 1.
Are they clipping Turd's wings? But why???

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds