Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

So there's one spot left... (1 Viewer)

Skerz4Life50

Cornerback
Elite Member
So the previous "OC" coach was also the WR coach and they had a separate QB coach. Now the current OC is the QB coach and they have a separate WR coach. So you still haven't replaced Held...but you also haven't named a special teams coordinator (and they may not)
Not sure there is anything to it at this point, but on Huskers.com and the staff directory, Whipple is only listed as OC. It doesn't show QB coach. Maybe they are still trying to figure out that part? I would assume with his history of developing QBs, that is a no brainer, just thought that was a little odd at the moment to have not given him that title as well.

*Edit - just for comparison, last year they had Lubick listed as both OC and WR.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Not sure there is anything to it at this point, but on Huskers.com and the staff directory, Whipple is only listed as OC. It doesn't show QB coach. Maybe they are still trying to figure out that part? I would assume with his history of developing QBs, that is a no brainer, just thought that was a little odd at the moment to have not given him that title as well.

Yeah I'd be shocked if he wasn't the QB coach. He's essentially coached QBs for the past 28 years.

ac husker

Safety
Elite Member
What I think will initially happen is Busch gets the STC spot and Beckton shifts to coach RBs.

What I am speculating is that a guy like Fisher moves on and Busch slides in to coach DBs and we hire Ron Brown to coach RBs and Beckton goes back to TEs.
But then we’re back to no STC after Fisher leaves.

MtnHusker

Legend
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
If nothing else having Busch, Tuioti, Dawson & Beckton give us some flexibility as they can coach numerous positions if a coach leaves after this tumultuous season. Busch could replace Fischer if he is poached. Dawson could slide to D Line if Tuioti is poached. Chinander could coach Outside Linebackers if Dawson left. The football world with high dollar coaching moves and the Transfer Portal has sure changed since our run in the 90's. Hard to hold a staff together or develop players who transfer out because they think they should be playing from Day 1

Irv

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Knowing what we know at this moment, I think you have to go with Busch to get somebody else on staff who can recruit.

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Busch can double up.
That doesn’t seem much different from what we have now. Is it just that Busch has more times as ST coordinator than Dawson that makes it different? Better track record I’d assume?

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
That doesn’t seem much different from what we have now. Is it just that Busch has more times as ST coordinator than Dawson that makes it different? Better track record I’d assume?

Personally, I don’t think you have to have a dedicated guy. Just doing that doesn’t solve the problem. I’d like a whole staff approach to specials like we did in 2014 with Bo taking responsibility on game day to make it a much bigger deal than it is now.

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Personally, I don’t think you have to have a dedicated guy. Just doing that doesn’t solve the problem. I’d like a whole staff approach to specials like we did in 2014 with Bo taking responsibility on game day to make it a much bigger deal than it is now.
It was interesting, I was listening to some radio show last night and they were talking about HC s being more like CEOs with a larger focus on recruiting specifically. I think it stemmed from some things Marcus Freeman said the other day about needing to be NDs lead recruiter.

A bit off topic but interesting to see how all this stuff evolves moving forward especially considering it appears Frost will be taking more of a CEO-type roll.

I think I’ve been pretty neutral on whether ST needs a full time coordinator. What it needs is emphasis. Hopefully that’ll change.

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
What I think will initially happen is Busch gets the STC spot and Beckton shifts to coach RBs.

What I am speculating is that a guy like Fisher moves on and Busch slides in to coach DBs and we hire Ron Brown to coach RBs and Beckton goes back to TEs.
Can you tell someone to move Dawson on instead? Please and thank you.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
If RBs are the "easiest" group, maybe just add them to Beckton and give him a nice pay raise? When he is coaching the RBs, TEs could be with either Mickey or Raiola working on other aspects of their game?
Beckton has done a good job with that TE room. Hate to take that from him. I'd rather see Mickey Joseph take on the RB's with the WR.

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I like Dawson, good coach. I hate to lose any of those defensive guys. They have a good thing going over there. But if it were forced on me it would be Ruud.
I don't mind him. Drives me nuts that he was tasked to be the savior of ST this past year and it looked like it did. Of all the scenarios we have - Peace out Dawson. Use that NFL pension you left us for.

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
You don’t think OLB play has gotten better under Dawson?

View attachment 6061
It has, but it isn't like it we're getting great OLB play either (Chins handles Nickel aka JoJo).

The vast majority of the improvement is because Nelson isn't a tFr anymore and we're not trotting Alex Davis out there anymore. In addition, OLB recruiting under Dawson has been underwhelming, if not downright bad.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds