Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

So let's talk salaries... (1 Viewer)

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
What does it take to get a good OC in the Big 10? What do you need to do for the defensive side to keep them around?

Nebraska probably needs to be in the $5 Mil - $6 Mil Range in AC pool to be serious contenders for elite recruiters and coordinators. Which is right where they are if they allocate the savings from Frost's contract to the AC Pool.

Michigan pays their DC $1,000,000 and their OC $900,000 (he's listed as OC/WR)
Ohio State pays their DC $1,400,000 and OC $1,400,000 and Larry Johnson $1,133,000. FWIW their OC is listed as OC/TE coach

Michigans AC Pool in 2021: $5.47 Million (down from $6.27 Million in 2020 as part of restructured deals)
Ohio States AC Pool in 2021: $7.651 Million
Nebraskas AC Pool in 2021: $4.55 Million

Let's start with the pool of money Nebraska has after firing 4 coaches and Frost taking a pay cut and assume that is the budget they are working with:
$2,775,000

They could start with the defensive side and Beckton
Chinander makes $800K bump him to $900K
Fischer makes $500K bump him to $550K
Tuioti $375K bump him to $425K
Ruud $225K bump him to $300K
Dawson's Contract automatically bumps from $500K to $550K 1/1/2022

I could see Beckton getting a bump. Possibly going to WR/TE and not just TE. He goes from $400K to $450K

That's $375,000 in raises

So with that they are left with a pool of $2,400,000

I'm assuming they take away Dawson's STC title and hire a guy that concentrate's on that and that Beckton takes over WR/TE
OC/WR or TE or something - $900K
OL - $550K
RB - $300K
STC - $300K

That leaves around $350,000 to play with if they need to give more to the OC, Chinander, OL coach or even Fischer to keep him around. If it were me I'd give Fischer more than $550K.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
Why does that need to happen?

Are you asking me why Fisher needs a raise? Or why he should get a title? Or why he should get both?

I am of the opinion the whole defensive staff should get merit increases as they’ve done their jobs at high levels this year. Fisher is a dude who will absolutely have options between thanksgiving and the coaches convention. So if you give him a title, it justifies a higher raise to attempt to fend off the wolves.

Fargo Husker

Quarterback
Elite Member
Quick thought, Fisher should get a title and a raise. “Passing defense coordinator” or “associate head coach” which would justify the bump.
I was thinking the same thing. Heck, with Held gone you might as well slap Recruiting Coordinator on there too.

HCFord1

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
Are you asking me why Fisher needs a raise? Or why he should get a title? Or why he should get both?

I am of the opinion the whole defensive staff should get merit increases as they’ve done their jobs at high levels this year. Fisher is a dude who will absolutely have options between thanksgiving and the coaches convention. So if you give him a title, it justifies a higher raise to attempt to fend off the wolves.
I've already agreed in another thread that he needs a raise, but I don't see what giving him a meaningless title accomplishes. You can give him whatever raise you'd need to anyway since he'd be doing the exact same job next season.

Savedatmoney

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
tPB OG
I've already agreed in another thread that he needs a raise, but I don't see what giving him a meaningless title accomplishes. You can give him whatever raise you'd need to anyway since he'd be doing the exact same job next season.
Sounds cooler

Fargo Husker

Quarterback
Elite Member
Those predictions seem reasonable. For curiosity’s sake here’s some context for those predictions:

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider

I agree with your thought and I don’t have a good answer for you other than “It’s just how these things work.”

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Those predictions seem reasonable. For curiosity’s sake here’s some context for those predictions:
Well I guess a million dollars gets you a stripper gf named pole assassin and a pet monkey

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Why does that need to happen?
I am on my phone but I will type up a story of exactly why that stuff happens when I get home
So I know a guy that was promoted at a university. There were 3 people that worked at this particular job. Guy in charge, a #2 (let’s call him Tom) and a #3 (let’s call him John).

Tom left for a different job

So guy in charge promotes John to 2 and backfills position (call him Joe)

This move doubles John’s salary. And Joe is paid what John used to be paid.

HR at University says “wait why are Joe and John paid differently? They have the same title” Guy in charge says because John is #2 and has seniority, Joe is new and is less experienced. HR says “They can’t have the same title and pay them differently especially when Joe’s skin color is X and John’s skin color is Y.” So instead they change John’s title to “Assistant guy in charge” to justify the difference in pay.

HCFord1

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
So I know a guy that was promoted at a university. There were 3 people that worked at this particular job. Guy in charge, a #2 (let’s call him Tom) and a #3 (let’s call him John).

Tom left for a different job

So guy in charge promotes John to 2 and backfills position (call him Joe)

This move doubles John’s salary. And Joe is paid what John used to be paid.

HR at University says “wait why are Joe and John paid differently? They have the same title” Guy in charge says because John is #2 and has seniority, Joe is new and is less experienced. HR says “They can’t have the same title and pay them differently especially when Joe’s skin color is X and John’s skin color is Y.” So instead they change John’s title to “Assistant guy in charge” to justify the difference in pay.
Yeah I have colleagues that talk to me about that type of thing all the time. HR prevents them from giving one employee a raise and not giving it to others, etc. But there’s nobody else at UNL with the title defensive backs coach so I just don’t really get it. I have no problem with giving Fisher a new title, but I think it’s the money and actual job responsibilities that he’ll actually care about.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Yeah I have colleagues that talk to me about that type of thing all the time. HR prevents them from giving one employee a raise and not giving it to others, etc. But there’s nobody else at UNL with the title defensive backs coach so I just don’t really get it. I have no problem with giving Fisher a new title, but I think it’s the money and actual job responsibilities that he’ll actually care about.
Listed as “Assistant Football Coach” to Hr not defensive backs coach.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds