Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Singleton and Brown are our best safety duo since....? (1 Viewer)

Dear_Leader

Defensive Lineman
Matt O'Hanlon who despite his blown coverage against VT played his ass off in 2009. That 10-3 win over OU was some of the finest defending I've ever seen in my entire life and oddly enough reminds me of this year's team in that Zac Lee/Cody Green did absolutely fuck all on offense
Eric Hagg, Dejon Gomes, Asante. they played a 4.2.5 or something similar to our 3 safety set now. helluva back 3.

COYS

Linebacker
Honestly, I'm curious if anyone knows the truth here. I was at the game. From the stands it looked like there were in a cover 2 with O'Hanlon and Asante having the 2 deep halves. The WR was on O'Hanlon's side. I don't think O'Hanlon ever saw him, because when Tyrod Taylor threw the pass, the WR was a good 15 yards past him. I've heard multiple times over the years that it was West's fault and not O'Hanlon's.
I am good friends with Matt O. He says it was a cover 4 call and West blew the coverage. He obviously took the heat after the game and wasn’t going to deflect the blame to his teammate.

I am biased, but he was a damn good safety for us and had an amazing year. It irks me like no other as I have been with him in public on numerous occasions and all Husker fans do is bring up that V Tech play. That’s unfortunately his legacy for many and it wasn’t even him that made the mistake.

Mr.Bojangles

Offensive Lineman
I'm trying to remember our last duo that was this good...I was gonna say Gomes and Hagg but I remembered Hagg was a nickel back,

2022: Farmer and Buford (Buford was inconsistent, Farmer is the most unathletic safety to ever start a game at Nebraska)
2021 and 2020: Deontai Williams and Marquel Dismuke (solid but unspectacular)
2019: Bootle/CTB/Eric Lee and Dismuke (solid but Bootle, CTB and Lee were all playing out of position because of Deontai's injury)
2018: Tre Neal/Antonio Reed and Aaron Williams (wildly inconsistent)
2017: Aaron Williams/Joshua Kalu/Antonio Reed/Marquel Dismuke/Kieron Williams/Dicaprio Bootle (that whole season was a smorgasbord of WTF)
2016: Gerry and Kieron Williams (Gerry was good, Kieron Williams was either getting burned or picked off the QB, there was never an in-between with him)

You guys get the point. These guys are playing very good. This Saturday against Michigan will be the true test to see how good they really are though.
Kinda hard to say when most of those duos had zero pass rush and were just sitting ducks.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds