Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Singleton and Brown are our best safety duo since....?

GBR305

Linebacker
I'm trying to remember our last duo that was this good...I was gonna say Gomes and Hagg but I remembered Hagg was a nickel back,

2022: Farmer and Buford (Buford was inconsistent, Farmer is the most unathletic safety to ever start a game at Nebraska)
2021 and 2020: Deontai Williams and Marquel Dismuke (solid but unspectacular)
2019: Bootle/CTB/Eric Lee and Dismuke (solid but Bootle, CTB and Lee were all playing out of position because of Deontai's injury)
2018: Tre Neal/Antonio Reed and Aaron Williams (wildly inconsistent)
2017: Aaron Williams/Joshua Kalu/Antonio Reed/Marquel Dismuke/Kieron Williams/Dicaprio Bootle (that whole season was a smorgasbord of WTF)
2016: Gerry and Kieron Williams (Gerry was good, Kieron Williams was either getting burned or picked off the QB, there was never an in-between with him)

You guys get the point. These guys are playing very good. This Saturday against Michigan will be the true test to see how good they really are though.

Who was with Larry Asante
Matt O'Hanlon who despite his blown coverage against VT played his ass off in 2009. That 10-3 win over OU was some of the finest defending I've ever seen in my entire life and oddly enough reminds me of this year's team in that Zac Lee/Cody Green did absolutely fuck all on offense

I believe some of the defensive play thus far has less to do with talent and more to do with scheme. Personally, I think our talent is okay on that side; but there truly aren’t that many Sunday guys. I think the younger guys do have chances to be though.

Matt O'Hanlon who despite his blown coverage against VT played his ass off in 2009. That 10-3 win over OU was some of the finest defending I've ever seen in my entire life and oddly enough reminds me of this year's team in that Zac Lee/Cody Green did absolutely fuck all on offense
I feel like O'Hanlon was one of the most maddening football players of all time to watch. Obviously did some really good stuff but also some really boneheaded stuff

Wasn't that a blown coverage by Anthony West at corner? My memory could be wrong, but I want to say West should have stuck with the vertical route instead of sitting flats. O'Hanlon gets blamed because he had the deep half on the other side of the field.

Could be wrong.

I'm trying to remember our last duo that was this good...I was gonna say Gomes and Hagg but I remembered Hagg was a nickel back,

2022: Farmer and Buford (Buford was inconsistent, Farmer is the most unathletic safety to ever start a game at Nebraska)
2021 and 2020: Deontai Williams and Marquel Dismuke (solid but unspectacular)
2019: Bootle/CTB/Eric Lee and Dismuke (solid but Bootle, CTB and Lee were all playing out of position because of Deontai's injury)
2018: Tre Neal/Antonio Reed and Aaron Williams (wildly inconsistent)
2017: Aaron Williams/Joshua Kalu/Antonio Reed/Marquel Dismuke/Kieron Williams/Dicaprio Bootle (that whole season was a smorgasbord of WTF)
2016: Gerry and Kieron Williams (Gerry was good, Kieron Williams was either getting burned or picked off the QB, there was never an in-between with him)

You guys get the point. These guys are playing very good. This Saturday against Michigan will be the true test to see how good they really are though.
I think this season has been our best all around Safety play in a long long time. If the old staff was still here we would be stuck with slow poor tackling Farmer starting still. Wonder how he has played at Syracuse? Also for the first time in years I'm not as worried when we put back-ups in at Corner & Safety. They appear to be on the same page with not as much drop off in production as we are use to.

I think this season has been our best all around Safety play in a long long time. If the old staff was still here we would be stuck with slow poor tackling Farmer starting still. Wonder how he has played at Syracuse? Also for the first time in years I'm not as worried when we put back-ups in at Corner & Safety. They appear to be on the same page with not as much drop off in production as we are use to.
Good call in Farmer... I forgot that dude even existed

star wars GIF

Probably whatever duo had Kieron Williams since he knows what a team with swagger looks like and they weren’t too corporate
i had no idea who he was until today. never heard of the guy

though i stopped watching and following the team for a bout 7 years so there's a lot i missed

Wasn't that a blown coverage by Anthony West at corner? My memory could be wrong, but I want to say West should have stuck with the vertical route instead of sitting flats. O'Hanlon gets blamed because he had the deep half on the other side of the field.

Could be wrong.
Honestly, I'm curious if anyone knows the truth here. I was at the game. From the stands it looked like there were in a cover 2 with O'Hanlon and Asante having the 2 deep halves. The WR was on O'Hanlon's side. I don't think O'Hanlon ever saw him, because when Tyrod Taylor threw the pass, the WR was a good 15 yards past him. I've heard multiple times over the years that it was West's fault and not O'Hanlon's.

Could be wrong.

Yes

Could be wrong.
Could have been. I remember O'Hanlon getting some hate after it but not the particulars

I feel like O'Hanlon was one of the most maddening football players of all time to watch. Obviously did some really good stuff but also some really boneheaded stuff
He did what you’re suppose to do as a player which is get better with reps. Besides the V tech play he was lights out his senior year. His junior year was a different story, but our defense as a whole wasn’t that great Pelini’s first year.

He has appeared in four games and has five tackles. He is not on their two-deep.

I believe some of the defensive play thus far has less to do with talent and more to do with scheme. Personally, I think our talent is okay on that side; but there truly aren’t that many Sunday guys. I think the younger guys do have chances to be though.
Probably not as many there as we all hope. That being said, just imagine what will happen when there is more talent out there. I can't even imagine how many sacks they'll get when they don't all have to come from the scheme.

With coach consistently talking about playing the player within that week that gives them the best chance to win.

I mostly believe that. Until Corcoran runs onto the field.

With coach consistently talking about playing the player within that week that gives them the best chance to win.

I mostly believe that. Until Corcoran runs onto the field.
Who do you you think they have that's better? We all knew tackle was one of the thinnest positions on the team heading into the season, then Teddy got hurt again and missed almost all of fall camp. It's scary to think about what's behind Corc that he continues to see the field.

Who do you you think they have that's better? We all knew tackle was one of the thinnest positions on the team heading into the season, then Teddy got hurt again and missed almost all of fall camp. It's scary to think about what's behind Corc that he continues to see the field.
Nobody. It was sort of an in jest, flavor of the day comment on my behalf.

But I do like how coach doesn't seem afraid to mix things up and find the right guys.

But isn’t that kind of the point of the system?

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back