Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Recruiting thread 2024

Greg Smith • InsideNebraska
Senior Recruiting Analyst
@GregSmithRivals

Follow the Trail is back! There is still a lot of news, offers and activity to track right now with Nebraska football recruiting. Let’s use this space to keep track of things that are happening on the recruiting trail for Nebraska on Tuesday, Jan. 17.

>> Monday was a very news-filled day for Nebraska. Wide receiver Isaiah Garcia-Castenada is reportedly coming back to Nebraska to help bolster the receiver room. That’s on top of the widely reported news that Zavier Betts is also coming back to the team.

The Huskers got another transfer addition when MJ Sherman decided to join the team. Steve Marik has three thoughts on what that addition does for the program.

>> Huskers special teams coach Ed Foley is out and about in the Omaha Metro today. He swung by Omaha North, which is the home of 2025 defensive lineman Tyson Terry. The outstanding wrestler spoke with me over the weekend to give the latest in his recruitment.

**Foley also went to Omaha Central. That's the home of 2024 OT Caleb Pyfrom who recently told the Cockeye site that the Cockeyes are his leader.**

>> Offensive coordinator Marcus Satterfield also visited Bellevue West. The Thunderbirds team is loaded as usual. 2024 prospects QB Daniel Kaelin, WR Isaiah McMorris and WR Dae’vonn Hall are of interest there.

>> Foley and Satterfield also went to Omaha Westside where 2024 DB Caleb Benning and 2025 LB Christian Jones play.

>> Wide receivers coach Garret McGuire is also down in Texas. He made a stop at Lake Travis High School. That school always has players that end up playing college football so it’s good for Nebraska to build a presence there. The Huskers don’t have any offers out to players in the program right now, but that will likely change soon.

>> Matt Rhule is down in Dallas and made a stop with tight ends coach Bob Wager and secondary coach Evan Cooper at Parish Episcopal. The school has won four straight state championships. That school is home to 2024 three-star defensive line target Caleb Mitchell Irving.

>> Thanks to poster ‘mattwstash’ on the Insider’s Board, we know that Nebraska was through Blue Valley High in Kansas. Linebackers coach Rob Dvorcek was in the school, but one player to watch at the school is 2024 running back. Price ran for 1004 yards and 13 touchdowns with a 7.1 yards per carry during his junior season. I exchanged messages with Price briefly, and he said he was happy Nebraska came through the school and he'd welcome an offer if it happened.
John Price

The people making these edits need to make the letters of the school logos spell something. In fact, go ahead and throw a new school in there if it helps spell a word.

Here I’d replace Michigan with Eastern Michigan and spell “Townie” to signify a strong factor in his recruitment.

I’m fact, with my method, Eastern Michigan (E) is probably a finalist for a lot more recruits.

The people making these edits need to make the letters of the school logos spell something. In fact, go ahead and throw a new school in there if it helps spell a word.

Here I’d replace Michigan with Eastern Michigan and spell “Townie” to signify a strong factor in his recruitment.

I’m fact, with my method, Eastern Michigan (E) is probably a finalist for a lot more recruits.
You can already spell out "O-TOWN" with these. So he's either N & flying into Eppley, or he digs boy bands from the early 2000s.

According to Dean's chart they are already over by 10 with IGC and Sherman included.
Betts 11.
The 3 visitors are all takes, or they wouldn't be visiting 14.
Portal guys (OL, TE, DL?, ILB?) 16-18?
So, around 20 guys that will have to be gone by Fall.

They are recruiting like there is no limit now, but I can't see them doing it without some sort of plan though they are way to organized for that.
Like others have said there are some tough conversations to be had.
Players have today and tomorrow to still enter the portal then again in May.
Graduate transfers, and Medical scholarships.
They also have the "Riley Rule" for those who want to take it.
NIL vs Scholarships?

Still, it's potentially almost 20 guys that need to go so it will definitely be an interesting watch.

Pos.Fr.RFr.So.Jr.Sr.
QB (6)Richard TorresHeinrich Haarberg

Chubba Purdy
Logan Smothers

Jeff Sims
Casey Thompson
RB (6)Kwinten IvesEmmett Johnson

Ajay Allen
Gabe Ervin Jr.Rahmir JohnsonAnthony Grant
WR (13)Malachi Coleman

Jaidyn Doss

Brice Turner

Jaylen Lloyd
Janiran Bonner

Victor Jones Jr.
Shawn Hardy II
Alante Brown

Tommi Hill

Isaiah Garcia-Castaneda
Marcus Washington

Josh Fleeks

Billy Kemp IV
TE (6)Chase Androff

Brodie Tagaloa
James Carnie

Thomas Fidone

AJ Rollins
Chris Hickman
OL (14)Gunnar Gottula

Brock Knutson

Sam Sledge

Mason Goldman

Jason Maciejczak
Justin JenkinsHenry Lutovsky

Teddy Prochazka
Bryce Benhart

Turner Corcoran

Ethan Piper

Nouredin Nouili

Ben Scott

Hunter Anthony
DL (8)Vincent Carroll-Jackson

Riley Van Poppel

Cameron Lenhardt

Ru’Quan Buckley

Elijah Jeudy
Nash Hutmacher

Ty Robinson
Stephon Wynn Jr.
LB (8)Eric Fields

Dylan Rogers
Seth Malcom

Randolph Kpai

Mikai Gbayor
Nick Henrich

Garrett Snodgrass
Luke Reimer
EDGE (8)Maverick Noonan

Princewill Umanmielen
Jake ApplegetBlaise Gunnerson

Jimari Butler

Chief Borders

Kai Wallin
MJ Sherman
NICK (3)Gage StengerIsaac Gifford

Javin Wright
CB (10)Dwight Bootle II

Syncere Safeeullah

Ethan Nation
Tamon Lynum

Malcolm Hartzog
Javier MortonOmar Brown

Braxton Clark

Tyreke Johnson

Quinton Newsome
S (9)Rahmir StewartJalil MartinKoby Bretz

Kaine Williams

Corey Collier
Myles Farmer

Marques Buford

Noa Pola-Gates

DeShon Singleton
ST (4)Tristan AlvanoTimmy Bleekrode

Brian Buschini
Marco Ortiz
Class Total2211232613
Total22/8533/8556/8582/8595/85
(Bolded players have used their redshirts.)
One thing I have been wondering is how the transfers are handled (along with IGC and Betts). Every recruit that signed with Nebraska would be guaranteed a scholarship, as that is what National Signing Day is for.

But my thought is what if you bring every transfer in as a walk-on and use large NIL deals to get them here - basically pay for schooling and in addition larger sums of money outside of schooling. They would basically be on a single year contract, and my thought is if they came here that way, would that allow them to still keep their 1-time transfer? I am not sure how the rules work. If you transferred and walked-on, would you still get to keep that free use transfer for later? Maybe test the waters, see how things go, and then if it doesn't work out or they think they have better options, they could then transfer again and play right away still. I know we had that one RB that transferred to Vanderbilt and walked on there, but I am not sure if he would have used up his free transfer or if there are rules about if other schools are willing to offer a scholarship or not. If we somehow did handle it this way, then all 9 of the transfers (plus IGC and Betts) would be considered walk-ons and we would still be at 85 scholarships.

There is no doubt we have some non-contributors that need to be shown the door. But up to 20 off of last years roster seems like it would be pushing it. And, I'm sure Rhule and staff have some creative ideas on how to flip the roster while also keeping as many potential guys on the team. I also highly doubt we ever know exactly who is and who isn't on scholarship.

That's the home of 2024 OT Caleb Pyfrom who recently told the Cockeye site that the Cockeyes are his leader.**
Cecily Strong Snl GIF

They would basically be on a single year contract, and my thought is if they came here that way, would that allow them to still keep their 1-time transfer? I am not sure how the rules work. If you transferred and walked-on, would you still get to keep that free use transfer for later?
No, that's not how it works. Transferring means switching schools. Scholarship, walk-on, partial scholly, NIL doesn't matter. If you change schools, that's a transfer.

Wager -

5 Star Composite

Nebraska head coach Matt Rhule and tight ends coach Bob Wager were making the rounds in Texas on Tuesday, and extended a scholarship offer to one of the top tight end prospects in the 2024 class.

2025 Allen (Texas) tight end Davon Mitchell announced that he had received a Nebraska offer, joining Alabama, Florida State, Auburn, USC and a host of programs.

The 6-foot-4, 230-pound Mitchell is a five-star prospect according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite rankings, checking in as the No. 26 overall prospect in the country and the No. 1 tight end.

The offer is notable, too, given Wager’s connections to Texas High School football, having served as a long-time head coach at Arlington-Martin High School.

Mitchell was named a sophomore All-American by MaxPreps after leading Allen with 33 receptions for 726 yards and nine touchdowns.

Last edited:

Michigan
Oregon
Tennessee
Ole Miss
Wisconsin
Nebraska

Illinois

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back