Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Post Spring thoughts...GITT

I can't find any evidence we are seriously pursuing anyone in the portal. @Fargo Husker, have you seen anything? It seems we've seen a small handful of twitter follows. No one has said they have received an offer from us.

Hopefully Betts can regain what he showed early on in his career because he absolutely could be a guy who can stretch the field
I'm not holding my breath. he had a jump ball at the goal line in the spring game that a good WR with his frame catches about 50% of the time, but he looked like he barely made an effort to go get it

I can't find any evidence we are seriously pursuing anyone in the portal. @Fargo Husker, have you seen anything? It seems we've seen a small handful of twitter follows. No one has said they have received an offer from us.
Are there any recruits worth pursuing?

Are there any recruits worth pursuing?
My personal view from what I have seen is No. There is an excellent OG but he will cost a fortune and he has over 20 offers. On the DL there was Bear, but he entered the portal knowing he would commit to USC, which he did.

A case could be made for the Georgia IOL Griffin Scroggs who has been mentioned, but he likely won't be a contributor for at least a year (he has four years left) unless we have a rash of injuries.

I think the great majority of people available so far wouldn't bring much more to the table than what we have already.

Felt like a bunch of "good" backs, but nobody who is an NFL dude.

I could see Ervin and Ajay developing into that, but they aren't that now. They both look like they have the physical abilities and the feel for being good RBs.

Grant just doesn't have that top end gear I feel. I also don't fully trust him to run within the play yet, even though the spring game was a massive step in the right direction IYAM.

The Johnsons are too small. Could be solid 3rd down back options.

I think AJ has the most upside potential. Still think he hits seams better and faster. Seems to have more burst on those kinds of runs.

But it is possible he has attitude issues. Dunno about work ethic - often goes along with attitude issues. But I am just speculating on the little I have seen of clips during spring ball. Who knows, he could hit the transfer portal.

I don't think we have a great RB in the room. Grant looked OK. Ervin looked OK. Rhamir has some burst, but is small/not every down guy most likely. Some pretty decent ones, but not sure we have a guy we can hang our hat on. I could see use having several guys having 300 to 500 yards for the season. Would be best if we had one guy who was a 1000+ yard RB. A lot of it will depend on the OLine of course, which still looks to be a major question mark.

I think AJ has the most upside potential. Still think he hits seams better and faster. Seems to have more burst on those kinds of runs.
Ajay needs some weight & muscle. He seems to get banged up easily.

Offense is pretty boring but defense looks aggressive.

Feels like the offense is going to be frustrating to watch this season. A lot of short gains on the ground and QBs who can’t hit the broad side of a barn.
Think about what we have learned about Rhule. He seems to always have a well thought out plan in place and does things for a reason. I am sure much of what they showed offensively during the game was base offense but I gotta believe he threw in some extra stuff to give the Boat Rower something to prepare for when we face them the first game. And I can guarantee that he didn't show certain aspects of our offense to catch them by surprise. It felt much like his offense at Baylor, which was not boring to watch. Put up good numbers and had some big play capabilities. We finally have adults in charge that are comfortable in their own skin plus seem to have a game plan that they are following. This isn't a coach who is going to complain to the media that Illinois came out in a different defensive front then they were prepared for so half our playbook went out the window.

Ajay needs some weight & muscle. He seems to get banged up easily.

Last season or now? He looked bigger this spring to me than last season. And if he needs to get bigger, is that going to actually help from getting banged up easily? It makes sense it could help, but really depends on how/why he gets banged up.

I just thought he looked like he had more pop a couple of times. Kind of like he looked like he had more pop early last season (small sample size I realize) when he got opportunities before he got hurt.

Think about what we have learned about Rhule. He seems to always have a well thought out plan in place and does things for a reason. I am sure much of what they showed offensively during the game was base offense but I gotta believe he threw in some extra stuff to give the Boat Rower something to prepare for when we face them the first game. And I can guarantee that he didn't show certain aspects of our offense to catch them by surprise. It felt much like his offense at Baylor, which was not boring to watch. Put up good numbers and had some big play capabilities. We finally have adults in charge that are comfortable in their own skin plus seem to have a game plan that they are following. This isn't a coach who is going to complain to the media that Illinois came out in a different defensive front then they were prepared for so half our playbook went out the window.
Can’t completely predict the offense off a spring game that’s for sure.

All these young dline that looked good is kind of a big red flag tho, right,
They were beating g the shit out of the oline
I think it's both. I like that they looked quick and aggressive.

Them having as much success as they did is a red flag on how bad the oline is.

Yeah this seems to be the vibe so far. They don’t seem to be in any hurry to meaningfully pursue anyone.

The only indication of strong pursuit was that Georgia OL that Dean reported we reached out to right away. But still nothing has materialized out of that.

Overall, my prediction for year is the same as it has been for the last couple years: this team will be exactly as good as its offensive line allows it to be.

Overall, my prediction for year is the same as it has been for the last couple years: this team will be exactly as good as its offensive line allows it to be.
Yeah, I can’t bring myself to a headspace where I can confidently predict more than 4-5 wins next season.

Felt like a six win team. I do not think there is enough talent in the offense, but honestly the scheme was pretty solid, harder to execute when the only QB able to read a defense and throw is Sims. Grant seems to be better than last year or at least running up the field and Rahmir is Rahmir. Love Ervin, but I am not sold.

Defense looks really spicy and with all the OL and DL coming in this year, in a couple years this looks to be a pretty damn good team.

At the very least I feel confident that Rhule will not have the team shitting their pants Week 1 and probably won't be carrying a load himself like Frost did.

BrandonMarcello avatar
BrandonMarcelloSTAFF
Posted on 4 hrs, V I P, User Since 149 months ago, User Post Count: 22305
  • 4 hrsVIP
  • 149 months
I'm visiting campus today for a national story (and podcast) on Nebraska football. I chatted with offensive lineman Ethan Piper earlier today. He underwent a minor procedure on his left ankle to remove some bone spurs. Nothing big, just some maintenance. He's on crutches for now.
Thought I'd pass along.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back