Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Post Spring thoughts...GITT (1 Viewer)

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
QBs

Felt like they were Ok.. Sims looked like a solid QB, but nothing massively jumped off the page.

Haarberg feels like the kid I thought he was. Great athlete but lacks accuracy and mental side to play at D1 level. Betts missed a TD because Haarberg was late.

Torres looked like our best QB prospect we have had. Had some good accuracy arm strength and got rid of the ball on time.

Purdy looked good, but is he a guy who will wet the bed in the fall?

RB

Felt like the Johnsons had good bursts. Don't love either as an every down back.

Grant looked like he was a well coached RB. A lot of what drove me nuts last year was gone.

Ervin had a nice run for a TD, but didn't have a ton of space. I felt he physically looked like the best.

Allen looked rusty from missing reps from his injury.

TE

Looked good but felt underused from what I thought they would do.

Gilbert needs to catch the fucking ball. Had about 30/40 yards on drops and was a 3rd down conversion.

Fidone felt like they were limiting him.

Bonner looks like he will be a weapon. He will be a pain in the ass for DCs given his versatility. How this staff saw him and thought he would be able to be that role is incredible. Needs to get better at blocking, but he looked physically the part.

WR

Kemp looks like a poor man's Wandale. Looked like they hit him on that spear concept they love. @slattimer did I see that right?

Washington looked solid.

After those two...... Crickets. Really need Betts, IGC or somebody to emerge.

OL

I felt like this group has improved nicely.

Benhart I think missed one block but other than that looked good. Needs to ratchet up the intensity.

Nouili looked good, but had some misses you would like to see cleaned up. He also needs to find a home. They played him at 3 spots.

Turner was frustrating. Game felt fast for him. Another guy you would like to see find a home at OG and stick.

Really need Teddy to hold down that left side.

Scott, Piper, Luto looked fine. I didn't watch them very much.

OL as a whole had some nice blitz pick ups. Which was encouraging for me considering how aggressive the defense was. QBs need to be better at throwing hot or adjusting protection.

This would make me lose my shit if I was a coach ^^^. This was a sack, but was 100% on the QB not doing his job.

Also seemed like they simplified the run game. IZ lead, split zone, counter/power and OZ. I also thought they had a nice glance 3rd level rpo concept.

DL

Felt like the young guns were good in pass rush situations. They probably need another year or two of S&C to stand up in the run game.

Going to need a disrupt via scheme to stop the run. I don't see many guys who will consistently win 1-1s in run game. So you will need to stunt them and use scheme to create advantages for them.

Jeudy felt like he was ready for B1G play.

Tagaloa seemed like he was making a bunch of plays. Need to watch him more.

Buckley looked the part physically and seemed like he was around the ball a ton.

LBs

Butler felt oddly quiet.

MJ looks like he will be one of the biggest gets from this past year.

Other than that, nobody overly stood out. Felt like the group was moving well and got to the ball. Reason why a lot of the "fumbles" Were recovered by the defense.

DBs

Seemed like they dominated the WRs. Didn't really watch them a ton though.

QBs: Gotta be Casey, Sims, and Torres heading into Fall. Smothers and Purdy just seemed overshadowed.

RBs: Ervin will be number one heading into Fall, but Grant and RJ. Can see Allen leaving.

TE: I think running routes with the top two QBs will be good for Fidone and Gilbert. Should get them on the same page.

WR: Washington and Kemp are top two. I think Betts will also get better with running routes with the top two QBs.

OL: I'm not great with OL measuring in skillsets, but they did look better. Not the best defensive line to measure against, but I think White gave them enough to think on their feet.

DL: Young pups look good and looking forward to them developing.

LB: Where the hell is Borders? MJ will be a good one. White should be excited to have him in the fold and probably designing plays around him.

DBs: Man, we're talented here.

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
I've been resisting the urge to mention the similarities. Maybe the whole uncertainty of being eligible is playing with his head. Hard to remain focused when you are waiting on some guy to give you a stamp on a piece of paper that will determine your future.
Manning did very well at the JUCO level and had the measurements to back it up. We saw what Gilbert can do at LSU and some of Georgia's spring practices. I think it's reps he will need. Running routes with the QBs during the summer should help out and Fall practices will only be more valuable from there.

2010sarenevercoming

5 Star Punter
Elite Member
I've been resisting the urge to mention the similarities. Maybe the whole uncertainty of being eligible is playing with his head. Hard to remain focused when you are waiting on some guy to give you a stamp on a piece of paper that will determine your future.
The story on Gilbert from pretty much everyone has been his consistency. Great when he's on, a mess when he's off. We saw an off day on Saturday. Time will tell which kind of days he's stacking up over these months, but I wouldn't come down too hard on a side based on the one scrimmage.

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev đź‘»
Elite Member
We're better off than we were a year ago. That being said...

Our OL is fucking trash. Absolute trash. Corc and Benhart are going to be abused over and over and over again just like they have in the past. Pinning our hopes on Teddy providing some stability feels like madness to me. The guy had what, two decent/good games as a tFr before he broke? Then the next year he didn't look as good before getting broke AGAIN. If we're looking for any sort of miracle to be produced by the OL coach that presided over the worst fucking OL in Nebraska history last year, we're going to have our hearts broken.

Gilbert won't do much if he's even allowed to play.

We might be in trouble at WR. Don't really have anyone that can stretch the field vertically. Kemp and Washington are good, but are possession guys.

I'm thinking 6-6 regular season right now.

vailhusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
I'm sure Gilbert will have more support than Manning had from the last regime.

Hopefully they can do for him what they have been able to do for Sherman. If haven't seen his post game interview his sister said that was the first time in a long time that she had seen him smile so much.

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I think people are focusing too much on the negatives. this is the first spring game we've had in a long time that wasn't formatted to make the starters look good so naturally it's going to raise more concerns than normal

having said that the OL still looks like the weakest part on the team. part of me hopes Dylan commits to UGA soon just so we can immediately shitcan his uncle and find someone better

Eaton Beaver

Prime Time
Elite Member
I think people are focusing too much on the negatives. this is the first spring game we've had in a long time that wasn't formatted to make the starters look good so naturally it's going to raise more concerns than normal

having said that the OL still looks like the weakest part on the team. part of me hopes Dylan commits to UGA soon just so we can immediately shitcan his uncle and find someone better
I'm not sure it's all on the coaching. The interior line looked better, but damn we need some new blood at tackle in a hurry. Hopefully one of these new coaches has a eye for picking them out. Teddy is the most important offensive player this year and without him our turnovers will double cause of pressures.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Curious, why?
I don't know. Just in a wait and see mode with him. Just don't have a great feeling one way or the other.

I liked the DC hire much more than I liked the OC hire.

You know when Rhule hired Satterfield as the OC at Temple it was because Nick Rolovich backed out. That would have been a bad ass hire.

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
I think this is where I am at.

I think offense might be "fine" this year, but I have always been bullish on White.
I don't see us blowing people out but I'm much more excited about the offense this year than in the past. I-formation, run the ball, play-action pass, don't turn the ball over, and we can win some games.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I don't see us blowing people out but I'm much more excited about the offense this year than in the past. I-formation, run the ball, play-action pass, don't turn the ball over, and we can win some games.
Yeah blowing games open will either need the defense to get the offense short fields or one of the RBs to start housing it regularly at least in year 1

HCFord1

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
We're better off than we were a year ago. That being said...

Our OL is fucking trash. Absolute trash. Corc and Benhart are going to be abused over and over and over again just like they have in the past. Pinning our hopes on Teddy providing some stability feels like madness to me. The guy had what, two decent/good games as a tFr before he broke? Then the next year he didn't look as good before getting broke AGAIN. If we're looking for any sort of miracle to be produced by the OL coach that presided over the worst fucking OL in Nebraska history last year, we're going to have our hearts broken.

Gilbert won't do much if he's even allowed to play.

We might be in trouble at WR. Don't really have anyone that can stretch the field vertically. Kemp and Washington are good, but are possession guys.

I'm thinking 6-6 regular season right now.
Hopefully Betts can regain what he showed early on in his career because he absolutely could be a guy who can stretch the field

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Eh, I need to see more of it... Can't say I am overly excited about it.

Also hard for me to say it wont turn the ball over when Sims has been a turn over machine and then the spring looked the way it did. The spring game wasn't an anomaly they struggled with fumbles all spring.

betsch

Safety
Eh, I need to see more of it... Can't say I am overly excited about it.

Also hard for me to say it wont turn the ball over when Sims has been a turn over machine and then the spring looked the way it did. The spring game wasn't an anomaly they struggled with fumbles all spring.
And that's the 1 thing you can't do if your line sucks and you have an average offense :(

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds