Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Post Spring thoughts...GITT (2 Viewers)

Tsakoi

Running Back
Elite Member
1. It was a perfect spring game IMO because there was a great balance of positives that make us feel better about the fall, but also the right amount of negatives that will keep the players and coaches focused on improving over the summer. Things we can point at as pluses and things we can concentrate on fixing before Minnesota.

2. Jeff Simms and Casey Thompson are our only hope at QB. Need them both to have any success at all. The others just don't seem cut out for this level.

3. I would love to hear @slattimer 's takes on the OL. IMO we should be looking to actively replace Turner Corcoran. Give his spot and NIL money to someone from the portal. He doesn't have it and I've seen enough. Probably the same with his coach who was retained (if it's not obvious by now it should be) only because he gave us a shot at his nephew.

4. Young guys......Thank God almighty for Unmenmielan and Lenhardt. We need young good players at that position. Bonner made me happy at his new spot. Go get it young buck.

5. The ghosts...Where was Betts? Did they just trot Fidone out for a series or two? No young WRs stepped up at all that I can recall. Gilbert didn't spark anything.

6. The portal now looms large. I'm expecting a busy week in that regard. Most of the names we keep mentioning but probably Javin Wright needs to just move on since seemingly his body won't allow him to play. Anybody got news on him? Ajay Allen seems like he's not dealing well with the transition to a new staff and the RB is crowded. Plus you gotta think 2-3 young WRs see the writing on the wall when they are behind Ty Hahn.

Last edited:

Blakejc

Corporate Potato
Elite Member
Of our transfers, Kemp, Scott, Sherman looked like starters.

Sims throws like Uncle Rico and it’s hard for me to unsee.

Bonners role is very creative.

Not counting on Gilbert to do anything. Wish we had a traditional schedule to open the season so Fidone got some cupcake non con reps. Boericher looks good.

Young pass rushers looked good. I lean towards that being an indictment on the OL rather than a compliment towards them.

I will say, the general philosophy of the defense seemed much more aggressive than Chins. That’s exciting.

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Of our transfers, Kemp, Scott, Sherman looked like starters.

Sims throws like Uncle Rico and it’s hard for me to unsee.

Bonners role is very creative.

Not counting on Gilbert to do anything. Wish we had a traditional schedule to open the season so Fidone got some cupcake non con reps. Boericher looks good.

Young pass rushers looked good. I lean towards that being an indictment on the OL rather than a compliment towards them.

I will say, the general philosophy of the defense seemed much more aggressive than Chins. That’s exciting.
Did Chief play? If so, was he any good?

cwessel76

Run The Damn Ball
Elite Member
tPB OG
I was not able to watch the game and haven’t had a chance to do so until likely later today. Sounds like I need a drink in my hands.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Young guys......Thank God almighty for Unmenmielan and Lenhardt. We need young good players at that position. Bonner made me happy at his new spot. Go get it young buck.
It's the spring game but yes, the amount of Princewell, Noonan, Lenhardt, Safuellah, and Stenger that was mentioned over the PA made me feel very good about the direction of the defense over the next few years

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Offense is pretty boring but defense looks aggressive.

Feels like the offense is going to be frustrating to watch this season. A lot of short gains on the ground and QBs who can’t hit the broad side of a barn.

2010sarenevercoming

5 Star Punter
Elite Member
It's kind of a cliche, but the defense is usually well out in front of the offense this early on. So I think we were also seeing a decent amount of that.

Check out a few spring game stat lines from some of the elite teams & see how garbage most offenses looked, before jumping off any bridges.

That being said, I also came away most excited by the defense looking aggressive, & several young guys looking like dudes already.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
QBs

Felt like they were Ok.. Sims looked like a solid QB, but nothing massively jumped off the page.

Haarberg feels like the kid I thought he was. Great athlete but lacks accuracy and mental side to play at D1 level. Betts missed a TD because Haarberg was late.

Torres looked like our best QB prospect we have had. Had some good accuracy arm strength and got rid of the ball on time.

Purdy looked good, but is he a guy who will wet the bed in the fall?

RB

Felt like the Johnsons had good bursts. Don't love either as an every down back.

Grant looked like he was a well coached RB. A lot of what drove me nuts last year was gone.

Ervin had a nice run for a TD, but didn't have a ton of space. I felt he physically looked like the best.

Allen looked rusty from missing reps from his injury.

TE

Looked good but felt underused from what I thought they would do.

Gilbert needs to catch the fucking ball. Had about 30/40 yards on drops and was a 3rd down conversion.

Fidone felt like they were limiting him.

Bonner looks like he will be a weapon. He will be a pain in the ass for DCs given his versatility. How this staff saw him and thought he would be able to be that role is incredible. Needs to get better at blocking, but he looked physically the part.

WR

Kemp looks like a poor man's Wandale. Looked like they hit him on that spear concept they love. @slattimer did I see that right?

Washington looked solid.

After those two...... Crickets. Really need Betts, IGC or somebody to emerge.

OL

I felt like this group has improved nicely.

Benhart I think missed one block but other than that looked good. Needs to ratchet up the intensity.

Nouili looked good, but had some misses you would like to see cleaned up. He also needs to find a home. They played him at 3 spots.

Turner was frustrating. Game felt fast for him. Another guy you would like to see find a home at OG and stick.

Really need Teddy to hold down that left side.

Scott, Piper, Luto looked fine. I didn't watch them very much.

OL as a whole had some nice blitz pick ups. Which was encouraging for me considering how aggressive the defense was. QBs need to be better at throwing hot or adjusting protection.

This would make me lose my shit if I was a coach ^^^. This was a sack, but was 100% on the QB not doing his job.

Also seemed like they simplified the run game. IZ lead, split zone, counter/power and OZ. I also thought they had a nice glance 3rd level rpo concept.

DL

Felt like the young guns were good in pass rush situations. They probably need another year or two of S&C to stand up in the run game.

Going to need a disrupt via scheme to stop the run. I don't see many guys who will consistently win 1-1s in run game. So you will need to stunt them and use scheme to create advantages for them.

Jeudy felt like he was ready for B1G play.

Tagaloa seemed like he was making a bunch of plays. Need to watch him more.

Buckley looked the part physically and seemed like he was around the ball a ton.

LBs

Butler felt oddly quiet.

MJ looks like he will be one of the biggest gets from this past year.

Other than that, nobody overly stood out. Felt like the group was moving well and got to the ball. Reason why a lot of the "fumbles" Were recovered by the defense.

DBs

Seemed like they dominated the WRs. Didn't really watch them a ton though.

Last edited:

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Feels like we might have three 500 yard rushers and no one over 800 yards.
Felt like a bunch of "good" backs, but nobody who is an NFL dude.

I could see Ervin and Ajay developing into that, but they aren't that now. They both look like they have the physical abilities and the feel for being good RBs.

Grant just doesn't have that top end gear I feel. I also don't fully trust him to run within the play yet, even though the spring game was a massive step in the right direction IYAM.

The Johnsons are too small. Could be solid 3rd down back options.

vailhusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
1. It was a perfect spring game IMO because there was a great balance of positives that make us feel better about the fall, but also the right amount of negatives that will keep the players and coaches focused on improving over the summer. Things we can point at as pluses and things we can concentrate on fixing before Minnesota.

2. Jeff Simms and Casey Thompson are our only hope at QB. Need them both to have any success at all. The others just don't seem cut out for this level.

3. I would love to hear @slattimer 's takes on the OL. IMO we should be looking to actively replace Turner Corcoran. Give his spot and NIL money to someone from the portal. He doesn't have it and I've seen enough. Probably the same with his coach who was retained (if it's not obvious by now it should be) only because he gave us a shot at his nephew.

4. Young guys......Thank God almighty for Unmenmielan and Lenhardt. We need young good players at that position. Bonner made me happy at his new spot. Go get it young buck.

5. The ghosts...Where was Betts? Did they just trot Fidone out for a series or two? No young WRs stepped up at all that I can recall. Gilbert didn't spark anything.

6. The portal now looms large. I'm expecting a busy week in that regard. Most of the names we keep mentioning but probably Javin Wright needs to just move on since seemingly his body won't allow him to play. Anybody got news on him? Ajay Allen seems like he's not dealing well with the transition to a new staff and the RB is crowded. Plus you gotta think 2-3 young WRs see the writing on the wall when they are behind Ty Hahn.
Hopefully Gilbert isn't the new Omar Manning.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Here are my takeaways after watching the spring game:
The Good:
  • Freshman DL
  • There appears to be a plan in place
  • There are no excuses for the past just moving forward
  • RB room looks ok
  • TE Room looks ok
  • DB Room looks ok
The Bad:
  • Any QB not named Simms or Thompson
  • OL Depth
  • DT Depth
  • ILB Depth
What I'm worried about:
  • Satterfield
  • Any WR getting open down field
  • Ty Robinson has to be healthy and has to play really, really well

I'm probably one of the more optimistic fans on here. This is probably the worst I've felt about a team going into a season, but I feel good about the long term growth of the team because I do think that Rhule and Co. not only have a plan, but also know how to execute it.

vailhusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
QBs

Felt like they were Ok.. Sims looked like a solid QB, but nothing massively jumped off the page.

Haarberg feels like the kid I thought he was. Great athlete but lacks accuracy and mental side to play at D1 level. Betts missed a TD because Haarberg was late.

Torres looked like our best QB prospect we have had. Had some good accuracy arm strength and got rid of the ball on time.

Purdy looked good, but is he a guy who will wet the bed in the fall?

RB

Felt like the Johnsons had good bursts. Don't love either as an every down back.

Grant looked like he was a well coached RB. A lot of what drove me nuts last year was gone.

Ervin had a nice run for a TD, but didn't have a ton of space. I felt he physically looked like the best.

Allen looked rusty from missing reps from his injury.

TE

Looked good but felt underused from what I thought they would do.

Gilbert needs to catch the fucking ball. Had about 30/40 yards on drops and was a 3rd down conversion.

Fidone felt like they were limiting him.

Bonner looks like he will be a weapon. He will be a pain in the ass for DCs given his versatility. How this staff saw him and thought he would be able to be that role is incredible. Needs to get better at blocking, but he looked physically the part.

WR

Kemp looks like a poor man's Wandale. Looked like they hit him on that spear concept they love. @slattimer did I see that right?

Washington looked solid.

After those two...... Crickets. Really need Betts, IGC or somebody to emerge.

OL

I felt like this group has improved nicely.

Benhart I think missed one block but other than that looked good. Needs to ratchet up the intensity.

Nouili looked good, but had some misses you would like to see cleaned up. He also needs to find a home. They played him at 3 spots.

Turner was frustrating. Game felt fast for him. Another guy you would like to see find a home at OG and stick.

Really need Teddy to hold down that left side.

Scott, Piper, Luto looked fine. I didn't watch them very much.

OL as a whole had some nice blitz pick ups. Which was encouraging for me considering how aggressive the defense was. QBs need to be better at throwing hot or adjusting protection.

This would make me lose my shit if I was a coach ^^^. This was a sack, but was 100% on the QB not doing his job.

Also seemed like they simplified the run game. IZ lead, split zone, counter/power and OZ. I also thought they had a nice glance 3rd level rpo concept.

DL

Felt like the young guns were good in pass rush situations. They probably need another year or two of S&C to stand up in the run game.

Going to need a disrupt via scheme to stop the run. I don't see many guys who will consistently win 1-1s in run game. So you will need to stunt them and use scheme to create advantages for them.

Jeudy felt like he was ready for B1G play.

Tagaloa seemed like he was making a bunch of plays. Need to watch him more.

Buckley looked the part physically and seemed like he was around the ball a ton.

LBs

Butler felt oddly quiet.

MJ looks like he will be one of the biggest gets from this past year.

Other than that, nobody overly stood out. Felt like the group was moving well and got to the ball. Reason why a lot of the "fumbles" Were recovered by the defense.

DBs

Seemed like they dominated the WRs. Didn't really watch them a ton though.

Purdy kind of reminds me of Cody Green, the stars, the measurables, but just couldn't seem to put it all together when the lights came on.

CornHub

Offensive Lineman
It's kind of a cliche, but the defense is usually well out in front of the offense this early on. So I think we were also seeing a decent amount of that.

Check out a few spring game stat lines from some of the elite teams & see how garbage most offenses looked, before jumping off any bridges.

That being said, I also came away most excited by the defense looking aggressive, & several young guys looking like dudes already.
Yep, this right here. We're talking about a brand new system and approach compared to what Frost was running. I'm seeing way too many hot takes from people that literally only got to see the spring game. No singular practice defines a player.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds