Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Post-Spring Game Feelings (3 Viewers)

Expectations Post-Spring Game?

• >10 wins

Votes: 22 13.9%
  • 10-9 wins

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • 8-7 wins

Votes: 82 51.9%
  • 6 wins

Votes: 14 8.9%
  • <6 wins

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Not underselling OL and DL, but QBs win games too - see 2023 Nebraska. Going from poor QB play to good (not even saying great) should be worth at least 3 more wins.
I agree....however, I'm now worried that our P/K combination could actually be so bad that they cost us 3 wins. It's not that crazy when you think about it. We saw during the Frost era that STs can be so bad that it can actually cost you 2-3 wins per year.

We had this issue with Adrian where he'd move the ball pretty amazing between the 20s but it would stall in the red zone. You have to expect some of this with a true FR QB....if Alvano starts losing it mentally that could be a big problem.

If you got Dylan completing 70% of his passes, you need to finish a high % of your drives in a "success." That helps him build his confidence as a young QB. If Alvano is fucking up these drives by missing 40-yarders that's gonna be a big big problem.

tman87

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
I agree....however, I'm now worried that our P/K combination could actually be so bad that they cost us 3 wins. It's not that crazy when you think about it. We saw during the Frost era that STs can be so bad that it can actually cost you 2-3 wins per year.

We had this issue with Adrian where he'd move the ball pretty amazing between the 20s but it would stall in the red zone. You have to expect some of this with a true FR QB....if Alvano starts losing it mentally that could be a big problem.

If you got Dylan completing 70% of his passes, you need to finish a high % of your drives in a "success." That helps him build his confidence as a young QB. If Alvano is fucking up these drives by missing 40-yarders that's gonna be a big big problem.

Alvano definitely has the yips... and that is death for a kicker.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
If you have thought/said "maybe we can use Haarberg as a wildcat QB/Taysom Hill" make a fist and punch yourself as hard as you can in the face
I admit to not watching much NFL (I'm 99% CFB viewing habits). All I know about Taysom Hill is he is the guy who started the 2015 BYU/NU game & left injured about mid-game.

Can you expand on this for non-NFL people like me? I assume you mean bc Taysom Hill is 100x more talented than HH? (I'm guessing)

EDIT: nevermind, you already clarified

KidsSeeGhosts

Quarterback
Elite Member
I figure we'll probably get some wildcat-esque plays with Haarberg. Good change up to have in the back pocket, esp with short yardage plays. His improved passing should help if he only runs a couple option plays a game

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I figure we'll probably get some wildcat-esque plays with Haarberg. Good change up to have in the back pocket, esp with short yardage plays. His improved passing should help if he only runs a couple option plays a game
The only real benefit he'd have in short yardage is that you could block with 10 instead of 9 players, but it's unclear why you'd want to let one of the worst ball security players in CFB touch the ball when he's not even that good of runner.

Tsakoi

Running Back
Elite Member
I can’t think of a single scenario where I want Heinrich Haarberg to throw a pass in our games.
I can.

We are beating Colorado 56-3 in the 4th quarter and we have the ball on their 45 on 3rd & 8. I want Haarbeg to be in the game at that point because Dylan is on the sideline getting a smoker from a cheerleader after throwing 3 TDs and rushing for 2. Danny has also been pulled after leading his own scoring drives. We call a pass play because Rhule has taken something the CU team said "personally" and we are trying to score again.

Lionsfan93

Running Back
Recruiting Analyst
Nebrasketball
tPB OG
1. He fumbles a lot
2. Carter Nelson can do everything Haarberg can better except maybe arm punt so if you want to go gadget play direction, do that instead
3. He fumbles a lot
4. You're taking Raiola off the field

Imo
I just looked it up - Haarberg had 120 carries last year and fumbled 11 times. Almost 10% of his carries resulted in a fumble - that's insane!

That being said, he is a dynamic runner when he isn't fumbling. And I'm not willing to say that Carter Nelson can run like Haarberg can (not yet at least). Nelson isn't even on campus yet and Haarberg is an NFL caliber athlete (no, I do not ever think he will be on an NFL roster). But if Rhule feels like he has the fumbling issue under control, I am all for the occasional wildcat with Haarberg as a change of pace. It has to be situational and he has to be coached to understand the the situation properly. Seems like it is simplistic to ignore the fact that he did make plays for us last year too.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I just looked it up - Haarberg had 120 carries last year and fumbled 11 times. Almost 10% of his carries resulted in a fumble - that's insane!

That being said, he is a dynamic runner when he isn't fumbling. And I'm not willing to say that Carter Nelson can run like Haarberg can (not yet at least). Nelson isn't even on campus yet and Haarberg is an NFL caliber athlete (no, I do not ever think he will be on an NFL roster). But if Rhule feels like he has the fumbling issue under control, I am all for the occasional wildcat with Haarberg as a change of pace. It has to be situational and he has to be coached to understand the the situation properly. Seems like it is simplistic to ignore the fact that he did make plays for us last year too.
I don't think he's actually that dynamic. Over half his yards came against NIU and La Tech and he never really seemed to have great instincts for where to run which is important for short yardage situations.

I don't have data to back it up, but guys who fumble at that rate may get less bad but they rarely get good with ball security.

This is a team that has lost a bunch of close games and to me, it seems like the risk profile is totally off for Haarberg touching the ball outside of if he's the only QB available

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
That being said, he is a dynamic runner when he isn't fumbling. And I'm not willing to say that Carter Nelson can run like Haarberg can
I don't think he's actually that dynamic.
My $.02: Haarberg is a good battering ram runner with really good straight ahead speed. I wouldn't call him a 'dynamic' runner - using dynamic kind of implies that the person has great lateral agility. HH has zero lateral agility. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen anyone that fast who has that poor of side to side quickness. BTW this is why HH takes a million hard hits - he can't juke anybody.

I already know that Nelson is a more dynamic runner than HH. You could see it plainly in the Polynesian Bowl. Nelson is an elite athlete with real quickness AND top end speed.

That being said though, I'd still give Haarberg like 20-30 carries this year. He has 30 train wrecks in him before he gets too concussed. I don't think he'll fumble as much as a straight ahead RB. I think a lot of his fumbles came bc he was QB and he was indecisive about what to do with the ball. If you hand him the ball and say "just run" this year I don't think he'll fumble near as much.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds