Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Post-Spring Game Feelings (3 Viewers)

Expectations Post-Spring Game?

• >10 wins

Votes: 22 13.9%
  • 10-9 wins

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • 8-7 wins

Votes: 82 51.9%
  • 6 wins

Votes: 14 8.9%
  • <6 wins

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters

Lionsfan93

Running Back
Recruiting Analyst
Nebrasketball
tPB OG
I’d bet he doesn’t redshirt.
He’ll be the #2 te for pass catching and probably play some wr.
college gameday sport GIF

The WR room looks like it might be a little tougher to crack the rotation than maybe we originally thought. Banks, Neyor, Lloyd and Coleman is as solid of top 4 as we have had in years. Bonner looked like a dude out there, and so did Barney. IGC is also coming back off of injury and is a former starter too. There just isn't a huge need to plug him in at WR.

And he isn't physically ready to be a full time TE in the Big Ten. Boerkircher is a solid #2 TE and they seem high on Lindenmeyer too.

I'm not saying that he will definitely red shirt, but it's not like he is stepping into a void role. He will have to earn it. If I was betting, I'd bet on a RS for him...

Lionsfan93

Running Back
Recruiting Analyst
Nebrasketball
tPB OG
He is a freshman. Mistakes are coming. That is a 100% guarantee. He is the best we have and have had in a very long time. He still needs some work obviously. Telegraphed some passes he can get away with in a spring game not in the BIG 10. Just young. Hell of a ceiling.

OL and DL will be better. Thats is what matters for wins.
Not underselling OL and DL, but QBs win games too - see 2023 Nebraska. Going from poor QB play to good (not even saying great) should be worth at least 3 more wins.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
I've had my guard up about Raiola just because I'm afraid to be hurt I guess, but holy shit. I'm actually surprised that so many people are pulling the old "I dunno, he's going to make a lot of mistakes, temper your expectations, maybe Haarberg deserves to start at first..." schtick.

Raiola was SO much better than the other QBs, so much better than I expected in general, he was doing things I don't know if I've ever seen from an NU QB. Just an absolutely different level of seeing the field, pocket awareness, ball placement, touch on the ball, it all looked effortless. If he's not the starter from game 1, the coaches are playing some kind of mind games. There is no doubt in my mind that he's ready and he's easily our best option. It's gonna be a lot of fun watching him for the next 2-3 years!

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I've had my guard up about Raiola just because I'm afraid to be hurt I guess, but holy shit. I'm actually surprised that so many people are pulling the old "I dunno, he's going to make a lot of mistakes, temper your expectations, maybe Haarberg deserves to start at first..." schtick.

Raiola was SO much better than the other QBs, so much better than I expected in general, he was doing things I don't know if I've ever seen from an NU QB. Just an absolutely different level of seeing the field, pocket awareness, ball placement, touch on the ball, it all looked effortless. If he's not the starter from game 1, the coaches are playing some kind of mind games. There is no doubt in my mind that he's ready and he's easily our best option. It's gonna be a lot of fun watching him for the next 2-3 years!
It's the spring game so the usual caveat applies, but the kid has a command on the offense and an understanding of the game like no QB we've seen in the "modern era" of Nebraska football (take modern era to mean post-Solich where we have tried to pass the ball). In just 22 passes he legitimately made every single kind of throw you want to see a QB make and the reports of him changing things at the line and calling audibles based on the defense indicates a level of trust and understand that you just don't see for freshman QBs.

He will make mistakes because that's what happens to every QB but I would be surprised if he isn't a top 20% QB in college football out of the gate.

Scarlet ObsessioN

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member

I'm pleasantly surprised that people aren't freaking out right now.

It will happen in the fall. When the Huskers are 5-0 or 4-1... it will start to get out of control.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
college gameday sport GIF

The WR room looks like it might be a little tougher to crack the rotation than maybe we originally thought. Banks, Neyor, Lloyd and Coleman is as solid of top 4 as we have had in years. Bonner looked like a dude out there, and so did Barney. IGC is also coming back off of injury and is a former starter too. There just isn't a huge need to plug him in at WR.

And he isn't physically ready to be a full time TE in the Big Ten. Boerkircher is a solid #2 TE and they seem high on Lindenmeyer too.

I'm not saying that he will definitely red shirt, but it's not like he is stepping into a void role. He will have to earn it. If I was betting, I'd bet on a RS for him...
I know the receivers took a lot of shit last year, but there were plenty of times our qbs had open receivers running, and couldnt get them the ball. If Raiola is the real deal which he probably is things are going to change on that front soon.

lee_carvallo_12

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
It’s like you’ve all instantly forgotten the past 20 years and are drinking the off-season koolaid with a fire hose.

I’m hoping for, at minimum, 6 wins and a bowl game. Setting my expectations low so anything above that is pure joy.

I’m squarely in the I’ll believe it when I see it in the W-L column camp. Just not ready to be hurt again, but that will likely change come August (as always).

I really like Rhule and the direction we all think the program is heading, just tempering my expectations.

Sorry if this hurts your feelings
My Cockeye buddy keeps telling me he has us going 7-0 to start the season. I correct him to 5-2 with a couple inexplicable losses. He just doesn't get it.
you-wouldnt-get-it-joker.gif

Tell_Sackett

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
At some point, the law of averages says my pre-season optimism will eventually not be misplaced. If I had to bet a two-win range for next year, I would say 8 to 9.

I'm trying to temper my optimism from the spring game knowing that the quarterbacks knew they could not be hit. But you can absolutely see the potential in Raiola.

Tell_Sackett

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
It’s like you’ve all instantly forgotten the past 20 years and are drinking the off-season koolaid with a fire hose.

I’m hoping for, at minimum, 6 wins and a bowl game. Setting my expectations low so anything above that is pure joy.

I’m squarely in the I’ll believe it when I see it in the W-L column camp. Just not ready to be hurt again, but that will likely change come August (as always).

I really like Rhule and the direction we all think the program is heading, just tempering my expectations.

Sorry if this hurts your feelings
We went five and seven last year with a turnover machine and a tight end at quarterback. If we can't win six this year, we might as well nuke the whole thing and be done.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds