Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

***Official TPB Farm Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Red Finger

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
Help a kinda cattlemen out platinum board. (Well the platinum board is changing apparently so who knows but...) I have 10 bred heifers I'd like to sell. Anyone know prices now?

I'm asking $1900/head for late February/early March bred heifers. They are sharp. Black, ultrasound preg checked at 60 days and were 60 to 45 days pregnant, and they have a calving ease polled Hereford bull that bred them from a reputation bull seller. From what can gather in Nebraska they are going for 1500-1800 currently. I've got hay if I need to hold for a bred sale in the winter. Wut say you platinum farmers?

Last edited:

HuskerGarrett

If we die, we die
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Help a kinda cattlemen out platinum board. (Well the platinum board is changing apparently so who knows but...) I have 10 bred heifers I'd like to sell. Anyone know prices now?

I'm asking $1900/head for late February/early March bred heifers. They are sharp. Black, ultrasound preg checked at 60 days and were 60 to 45 days pregnant, and they have a calving ease polled Hereford bull that bred them. From what can gather in Nebraska they are going for 1500-1800 currently. I've got hay if I need to hold for a bred sale in the winter. What say you platinum farmers?
Jfc TPB is not changing lol

Adolph Coors

Fat
Elite Member

I'm asking $1900/head for late February/early March bred heifers. They are sharp. Black, ultrasound preg checked at 60 days and were 60 to 45 days pregnant, and they have a calving ease polled Hereford bull that bred them from a reputation bull seller. From what can gather in Nebraska they are going for 1500-1800 currently. I've got hay if I need to hold for a bred sale in the winter. Wut say you platinum farmers?
pics?

10InchCorncob

Defensive Lineman
Elite Member
Dont have a farm , but I will contribute to this thread with stuff like this on BAT:

From a couple of weeks ago
A nice price, IMHO

Lambo Tractor

1964_lamborghini_2r_tractor_1599512980489a97de540aLamborghin_2R-13264-001-web-nologo.jpg
Looking a little low in the front right

Red Finger

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
@scotchfrost9697

Platinum Elite heifers:

33D638E3-89DC-48CB-851E-8CD8C51EBB44.jpeg
0F8D6CC2-0ECD-412E-9BE9-FACDD9241BC4.jpeg
A9E822D8-0DE8-48EF-97A1-4BFA25D62EE5.jpeg
ED5DF68E-AC10-4CF4-A337-3C63899BA6A1.jpeg03AE9C2D-316F-4D31-B811-B0CA4FDC7897.jpeg
76B2B518-730C-4265-94B9-D36B643298FE.jpeg
98268095-D641-49C0-A77F-379A63866263.jpeg

Mid July the were about 950 average in weight. I do need to recheck 2 this Saturday. So I'll get a rough idea of a updated weight. (before the game....OBVIOUSLY)

Maybe next year I'll try branding. If I can get boner alert or the platinum press capital building brand made I think it's something I'm gonna have to seriously look into.

Attachments

• F01160C9-B216-4E60-AE97-DD6E0340264C.jpeg
    F01160C9-B216-4E60-AE97-DD6E0340264C.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Link-

Link Lyman invented the DLine shift
Elite Member
Was going to create a new thread but found this.

I’m curious, how do y’all capture and utilize data? How do you use new tech to be better? Came into a little bit of land and am trying to be smart about it. Grandpa sold the farm back in the 60s, so I don’t have a ton of knowledge but am willing to learn. Anything I should read or listen to?

Poor_and_Stupid

Prolific Beaver Murderer
Elite Member
Was going to create a new thread but found this.

I’m curious, how do y’all capture and utilize data? How do you use new tech to be better? Came into a little bit of land and am trying to be smart about it. Grandpa sold the farm back in the 60s, so I don’t have a ton of knowledge but am willing to learn. Anything I should read or listen to?
First of all, awesome! Can’t beat the farm life even it’s just part time. (Sometimes it’s probably better that way).

Second of all, where to even begin? It can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it, and either way can be successful.

A few quick questions might help me help you. Do you have access to some equipment? Are some of the jobs being custom hired? Also is this in Nebraska? What is the land like and what crops will you be growing?

kyle23

Linebacker
Elite Member
What's the latest on interest rates for land? Rural 1st told me 6-8% on a twenty year note back in the fall.

Poor_and_Stupid

Prolific Beaver Murderer
Elite Member
What's the latest on interest rates for land? Rural 1st told me 6-8% on a twenty year note back in the fall.
Yeah my neighbor was wanting to buy a farm in November and he was told 7%. So he said fuck that.

rr55

Defensive Lineman
Elite Member
Was told 8% in November by the local bank. Went in a couple weeks ago and said by March-April timeframe should be closer to 6.5%. I'm going to jump through all of FSA's hoops to get their 1.5% rate on half of it so that makes the 6.5-7% easier to handle.

Link-

Link Lyman invented the DLine shift
Elite Member
First of all, awesome! Can’t beat the farm life even it’s just part time. (Sometimes it’s probably better that way).

Second of all, where to even begin? It can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it, and either way can be successful.

A few quick questions might help me help you. Do you have access to some equipment? Are some of the jobs being custom hired? Also is this in Nebraska? What is the land like and what crops will you be growing?
Very excited for it.

I’m not trying to complicate it too much but I’m in position that I’m basically paying taxes on it and that’s it. My uncle got the family chunk of ground and he gave me a decent amount just so I’d move out to his neck of the woods to help because none of his kids want anything to do with it and he needs help. .

So I’m starting ground floor. Very little equipment, so I know I’ll be renting the ground and hiring custom jobs for now. My main concerns are making sure we utilize our water access in a non-dumbass way and if we can capture data that informs our seed/chemical application that’d be awesome. So monitoring erosion and moisture levels, while keeping a close eye on plant health/weeds. Are there ways to put sensors in that can do this real-time or is that cost too much of a barrier to entry and you have to go with an agronomist? It feels like this is pie in the sky, but if I start making moves now, who’s to say what that initial investment would look like in 10 years.

Thanks for the reply.

Poor_and_Stupid

Prolific Beaver Murderer
Elite Member
Was told 8% in November by the local bank. Went in a couple weeks ago and said by March-April timeframe should be closer to 6.5%. I'm going to jump through all of FSA's hoops to get their 1.5% rate on half of it so that makes the 6.5-7% easier to handle.
I talked to the FSA not long ago about this and the loan officer said the beginning farmer down payment is up to around 1.8% currently. Still a hell of a lot better than 7…

Ironwardog

Linebacker
Elite Member
Yea that’s a great program, only thing that sucks is if your too successful while your in it they will kick you out and make you go get that half at a bank before your note is finished. They wouldn’t even allow me to apply because I had saved too much money in my first few years, and a good friend of mine got kicked out 3 years in after he sent them his balance sheet for the year. So be careful with them and be prepared!!! Fortunately for both him and I the interest rates were about 3% at that time and I know I set a fixed rate on mine. I had to revert back to my college days and live on Ramen noodles for a while since the down payment was larger lol.

Poor_and_Stupid

Prolific Beaver Murderer
Elite Member
Very excited for it.

I’m not trying to complicate it too much but I’m in position that I’m basically paying taxes on it and that’s it. My uncle got the family chunk of ground and he gave me a decent amount just so I’d move out to his neck of the woods to help because none of his kids want anything to do with it and he needs help. .

So I’m starting ground floor. Very little equipment, so I know I’ll be renting the ground and hiring custom jobs for now. My main concerns are making sure we utilize our water access in a non-dumbass way and if we can capture data that informs our seed/chemical application that’d be awesome. So monitoring erosion and moisture levels, while keeping a close eye on plant health/weeds. Are there ways to put sensors in that can do this real-time or is that cost too much of a barrier to entry and you have to go with an agronomist? It feels like this is pie in the sky, but if I start making moves now, who’s to say what that initial investment would look like in 10 years.

Thanks for the reply.
I do some agronomy work for a few guys on the side. The guy I learned from was pretty old fashioned, and I’ve kept it that way so I’m not really on the up and up when it comes to the latest drone technology and what all the capabilities are. Like if they can see and identify weeds or anything like that. Easiest thing if you have time is to get a 4 wheeler and take a quick look at the fields yourself once a week. If you have any questions on what something is just send me a picture.

For disease pressure, not sure how you’d be able to identify anything early without physically being in the field. If you subscribe to Climate FieldView they will send you field health images of your field. It’s satellite imagery it could possibly help you identify a problem, but in my opinion a lot of damage will probably already have been done if you don’t catch it before you see it on that imagery.

As for moisture they do make fancy moisture probes that will help you schedule irrigation based off what it says is in the ground. Don’t know a lot about them. (I farm dryland hence why I’m a poor.) I think you can rent them but no idea on cost. They might even have a built in rain gauge.

For my crop scouting customers I just probe down to 3 feet and make an educated guess on the moisture. Then I’ll schedule irrigation based on the forecast and crop demand.

I would recommend you have fields grid sampled so your can address any fertility issues and get your pH correct. If your pH is out of wack you can limit the availability of some nutrients.

Dell Husker

Quarterback
tPB OG
I just got into crop insurance early 2023 so I’m going into my first sales/renewal season. I’ll ask TPB, as a producer what’s important for you to know from your agent that I should be aware of? What do you all like seeing as you renew that makes looking at coverages easier?

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds