Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Official 2023 Nebraska Baseball Thread (1 Viewer)

Osborne1992

Linebacker
Elite Member
His last 2 outings weren't in the middle innings and he did quite well which gained the coaches confidence hence why he went in last night. Sears' ERA was 30+ 3 weeks ago and 0 since. Can't continue to hold a high ERA against someone, especially a bullpen arm where it takes many outings to reduce, when they're showing signs of being the guy everyone thought he'd be. And that's what he did, till last night's choke job.

Neither Worthley or Gutierrez have been in that situation and I wouldn't run either of them out last night. That likely changes going forward though. Schanaman, Perry & Bunz were unavailable. You also mentioned Ornelas, who coincidentally walked 2 and hit another a week ago against Omaha in 1 inning of work. Yikes.

Don't bounce the ball, twice, and this conversation doesn't happen. It's that simple.
Simply agree to disagree. I'd have gone with someone more consistent than Sears regardless of experience in that situation. Bolt doesn't have a closer for weekend and mid-week games and that's on him and Christy. Good discussion.

Osborne1992

Linebacker
Elite Member
Funny thing about this "don't throw a guy with a 15 ERA", it sure worked for Pickle Smoochers with Cade Lommel. Talented & experienced pitcher, has struggled this year but did well last night.
FIFY "Don't bring in a guy with a 15 ERA with 2 guys on base, 1 out, and up 1 in the 9th inning giving up .500 batting average and control issues" We hit the ball hard the last 2 innings but they were just right at guys and their 3b made a hell of a play, unfortunately. Context matters.

PonyBoy

Linebacker
Insider
Simply agree to disagree. I'd have gone with someone more consistent than Sears regardless of experience in that situation. Bolt doesn't have a closer for weekend and mid-week games and that's on him and Christy. Good discussion.

They do have a closer, one that's been inconsistent & unavailable last night. That's fine but don't list 6 guys where 3 of them are unavailable, a 4th walked 2 and hit 1 in an inning of work a week ago and the other 2 are true freshmen. I can just hear it now, one of the two true freshmen were brought in, didn't get the job done and it's the same discussion. Captain hindsight is king with sports.

FIFY "Don't bring in a guy with a 15 ERA with 2 guys on base, 1 out, and up 1 in the 9th inning giving up .500 batting average and control issues" We hit the ball hard the last 2 innings but they were just right at guys and their 3b made a hell of a play, unfortunately. Context matters.

Context matters? How about have an idea before responding:

Cade Lommel, who had the 15+ ERA, didn't throw the last 2 innings. He threw 1 out in the 3rd, the 4th, 5th & 6th. So what we did against 2 different pitchers in the 8th & 9th inning, is absolutely irrelevant. Servais went with an experienced arm that has struggled in every outing this year (8 H, 13 BB/HBP in 4 2/3 IP) and he threw strikes. What a different that makes!

Speaking of context, Sears' last 2 outings his BAA is .333 with 4 punches, 1 BB, in 2 innings of work. Context works both ways, not just to fit your argument.

Osborne1992

Linebacker
Elite Member
They do have a closer, one that's been inconsistent & unavailable last night. That's fine but don't list 6 guys where 3 of them are unavailable, a 4th walked 2 and hit 1 in an inning of work a week ago and the other 2 are true freshmen. I can just hear it now, one of the two true freshmen were brought in, didn't get the job done and it's the same discussion. Captain hindsight is king with sports.

Context matters? How about have an idea before responding:

Cade Lommel, who had the 15+ ERA, didn't throw the last 2 innings. He threw 1 out in the 3rd, the 4th, 5th & 6th. So what we did against 2 different pitchers in the 8th & 9th inning, is absolutely irrelevant. Servais went with an experienced arm that has struggled in every outing this year (8 H, 13 BB/HBP in 4 2/3 IP) and he threw strikes. What a different that makes!

Speaking of context, Sears' last 2 outings his BAA is .333 with 4 punches, 1 BB, in 2 innings of work. Context works both ways, not just to fit your argument.
It may look like hindsight except I said to my wife "this isn't good" when Sears came in to pitch in the 9th. I thought it was a mistake going to Sears in that situation and that Bolt has some fault for choosing him to finish the game. Obviously, Sears is at fault for sucking dick but you think it's 100% on Sears and that's your opinion. Again agree, to disagree. I'm not changing your mind and vise versa. Have a good day!

PonyBoy

Linebacker
Insider
It may look like hindsight except I said to my wife "this isn't good" when Sears came in to pitch in the 9th. I thought it was a mistake going to Sears in that situation and that Bolt has some fault for choosing him to finish the game. Obviously, Sears is at fault for sucking dick but you think it's 100% on Sears and that's your opinion. Again agree, to disagree. I'm not changing your mind and vise versa. Have a good day!

Sorry, the hindsight comment was in general, not intended at you directly. Yes, it's 100% on a 4th year, 22 year old college pitcher to throw strikes. Just like he did his previous 2 outings.

This shouldn't even be a discussion for crying out loud.

I believe Bolt is at fault for leaving Walsh in to face the LHH he ended up hitting. I would've went with 1 of the true frosh for 1 hitter then bring in Sears.

Last edited:

Snockered69

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
oh no pressure
Fail New York Knicks GIF by Indiana Pacers

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
Ghey boi Illinois team trying to score runs in the 3rd

They’ve got two on with no outs

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
6-4 now

This team of non-heterosexuals from Illinois trying to make a game out of it

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds