Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Official 2023 Nebraska Baseball Thread (1 Viewer)

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Angry Inside Out GIF by Disney Pixar

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
huskers 0-2 vs shitty UNO and shitty Creighotn teams

Snockered69

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
couldn’t see the game but why run Walsh out in the 9th? Dude hasn’t gone 6 let alone 7 this year. Sounds more like coaching more than anything.

Snockered69

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
And then bring in a guy with a sub 13 ERA… Walsh pitched pretty well, actually. Brockett was terrible to start.
Yeah judging by the stats I could tell he did but it’s common baseball knowledge that 1) facing a lineup for a 3rd time isn’t favorable 2) you had a guy who hasn’t gone that long all season and fatigue probably was gonna play a role.

Osborne1992

Linebacker
Elite Member
Yeah judging by the stats I could tell he did but it’s common baseball knowledge that 1) facing a lineup for a 3rd time isn’t favorable 2) you had a guy who hasn’t gone that long all season and fatigue probably was gonna play a role.
100% this. Bolt was desperate and hoping he'd close it out. Fact is hope isn't a successful tactic and bringing in Sears, who has been wild this year and batters are hitting .500 against him, with guys on base was absolutely the wrong choice. Perry, Worthley, Ornelas, Schanaman, Gutierrez, and Bunz would have been better choices. Just needed 1 decent inning out of those guys to get a win. Starting to lose faith in Bolt which sucks but he reeks of desperation.

PonyBoy

Linebacker
Insider
I didn't catch the 8th, but if he still had his command there I am fine with giving him a shot until somebody gets on.

He had his command in the 8th; 5-3, E6, F9 & F8 on a total of 15 pitches. He retired 18 straight. 20 of 21 entering the 9th, the only guy that reached was on Matthews error.

No way you pull him after that. Lead-off single is okay, they had 2 LHH's coming up in the next 3 and we're up 2 fucking runs. He retired Sailors, their lead-off, so we're at 1 out with 1 on. Maybe at this point we go to someone else, hindsight.

Brett Sears lost this game. He was a 3rd team All American in 2022 at a JUCO. He threw 2 pitches not even close to the zone. They literally landed in the others batters box. That's not coaching, that's a 22-year old in his 4th year of college ball choking in a game we couldn't afford anyone to choke in. Bad, bad loss and it falls solely on the shoulders of Brett Sears.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
He had his command in the 8th; 5-3, E6, F9 & F8 on a total of 15 pitches. He retired 18 straight. 20 of 21 entering the 9th, the only guy that reached was on Matthews error.

No way you pull him after that. Lead-off single is okay, they had 2 LHH's coming up in the next 3 and we're up 2 fucking runs. He retired Sailors, their lead-off, so we're at 1 out with 1 on. Maybe at this point we go to someone else, hindsight.
Yeah I am not going to die on the hill of when he should have been pulled. I can 100% see your logic.

I don't think there is a problem with having him in the 9th. I can also see pulling him after a guy gets on. I would have probably had a quicker hook given how we were on borrowed time with him.

Brett Sears lost this game. He was a 3rd team All American in 2022 at a JUCO. He threw 2 pitches not even close to the zone. They literally landed in the others batters box. That's not coaching, that's a 22-year old in his 4th year of college ball choking in a game we couldn't afford anyone to choke in. Bad, bad loss and it falls solely on the shoulders of Brett Sears.
I couldn't believe how bad he missed.

Osborne1992

Linebacker
Elite Member

Sears lost us the game with his play and Bolt lost us the game with his choice of Sears over almost anyone else in the bullpen. Both can be true at the same time. Sears has been wild to start this year cuz he tries to throw it as hard as he can without accuracy. His balls aren't even close to the strikezone and when he does throw strikes, its right down the middle. Hence why batters are hitting .500 against him.

PonyBoy

Linebacker
Insider
Sears lost us the game with his play and Bolt lost us the game with his choice of Sears over almost anyone else in the bullpen. Both can be true at the same time. Sears has been wild to start this year cuz he tries to throw it as hard as he can without accuracy. His balls aren't even close to the strikezone and when he does throw strikes, its right down the middle. Hence why batters are hitting .500 against him.

Anyone else, from a bullpen that's been inconsistent so far? Nah, Sears put together 2 decent outings his last couple appearances so you go with your most electric, experienced arm that may have turned a corner. Don't bounce the ball 6' from the plate and we leave with a dub.

We didn't have Schanaman or Perry available so your earlier suggestion doesn't work either. Bunz is still a once a week guy at this point and they'd rather have him for conference play. I believe that changes soon though and he should be able to stretch out to 2 appearances a week.

Osborne1992

Linebacker
Elite Member
Anyone else, from a bullpen that's been inconsistent so far? Nah, Sears put together 2 decent outings his last couple appearances so you go with your most electric, experienced arm that may have turned a corner. Don't bounce the ball 6' from the plate and we leave with a dub.

We didn't have Schanaman or Perry available so your earlier suggestion doesn't work either. Bunz is still a once a week guy at this point and they'd rather have him for conference play. I believe that changes soon though and he should be able to stretch out to 2 appearances a week.
Bullpen has been very inconsistent all year, I agree. However, I'd choose a different pitcher to close a game against a rival than a guy with a 12.00 ERA and guys hitting .500 against him. I agree maybe some of those guys weren't available but I still listed 3 other pitchers who I'd trust over Sears. He needs to pitch in middle innings when the game is not on the line to gain more confidence for the coaching staff to trust him but Bolt seems to be guessing at this point. Agree to disagree. Just hoping some guys in the bullpen step up like Walsh did.

PonyBoy

Linebacker
Insider
Bullpen has been very inconsistent all year, I agree. However, I'd choose a different pitcher to close a game against a rival than a guy with a 12.00 ERA and guys hitting .500 against him. I agree maybe some of those guys weren't available but I still listed 3 other pitchers who I'd trust over Sears. He needs to pitch in middle innings when the game is not on the line to gain more confidence for the coaching staff to trust him but Bolt seems to be guessing at this point. Agree to disagree. Just hoping some guys in the bullpen step up like Walsh did.

His last 2 outings weren't in the middle innings and he did quite well which gained the coaches confidence hence why he went in last night. Sears' ERA was 30+ 3 weeks ago and 0 since. Can't continue to hold a high ERA against someone, especially a bullpen arm where it takes many outings to reduce, when they're showing signs of being the guy everyone thought he'd be. And that's what he did, till last night's choke job.

Neither Worthley or Gutierrez have been in that situation and I wouldn't run either of them out last night. That likely changes going forward though. Schanaman, Perry & Bunz were unavailable. You also mentioned Ornelas, who coincidentally walked 2 and hit another a week ago against Omaha in 1 inning of work. Yikes.

Don't bounce the ball, twice, and this conversation doesn't happen. It's that simple.

PonyBoy

Linebacker
Insider
Funny thing about this "don't throw a guy with a 15 ERA", it sure worked for Pickle Smoochers with Cade Lommel. Talented & experienced pitcher, has struggled this year but did well last night.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds