Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Breaking New Secondary Coach: John Butler

This looks like an upgrade to me. Huskers just got better. Fuck it.

100% THIS. I don't know what Rhule promised him to get him here or what the back story is, but we 100% upgraded the secondary coach position. This guy is elite.

As far as recruiting goes...since we have a professional in charge, he is not going to let guys hang around if they can't carry water in recruiting their position group.

100% THIS. I don't know what Rhule promised him to get him here or what the back story is, but we 100% upgraded the secondary coach position. This guy is elite.

As far as recruiting goes...since we have a professional in charge, he is not going to let guys hang around if they can't carry water in recruiting their position group.
The days of having 30 DBs and a good part of them being projects is probably coming to an end.

They were still in purgatory in ‘14 and their defense got significantly better

The NCAA lifted their penalties in '14.

Coaching might be an upgrade
Coaching, development, potential future DC, I agree.
Recruiting, talent identification, unknown right now.
Pretty spot on, but it’s a huge loss. Butler may be a better coach, but I don’t think Rhule trusted anyone more on his staff than Cooper. Butler can’t replicate that relationship and that trust. And if coaches are known for playing the guys they can trust over talent, you know that’s how they operate with their coaches, too. It’s gonna take some time to build that with Butler.

I’m also curious how much say, if any, Tony White had in this hire. Butler is gonna be reporting to White a lot more than he’ll be reporting to Rhule.

Pretty spot on, but it’s a huge loss. Butler may be a better coach, but I don’t think Rhule trusted anyone more on his staff than Cooper. Butler can’t replicate that relationship and that trust. And if coaches are known for playing the guys they can trust over talent, you know that’s how they operate with their coaches, too. It’s gonna take some time to build that with Butler.

I’m also curious how much say, if any, Tony White had in this hire. Butler is gonna be reporting to White a lot more than he’ll be reporting to Rhule.
Change is good. So a guy that he trusts that is not a better coach than the one they just hired is better? Help me understand. It blows me away we can’t all be on the same page on this shit

The thing I try and remember is that Cooper wasn't always an on-field assistant coach under Rhule. At Temple he had a Director of External Operations role, and after a year at Miami, he came back with a Director of Player Development. It wasn't until Baylor that he got the chance to have an on-field role. Before that time, Rhule had coaches like Fran Brown working the secondary along with Phil Snow coaching safeties. If Cooper was that big of an asset even back then, it's possible to still replace some of his capabilities in a separate position.

At the time of his resignation, Cooper had definitely evolved into a multifaceted component in Rhule's operation, leaving him without A. a defensive backs coach along with B. a film-burning recruiting wunderkind.

I think it's fine that Butler's hire is a damn perfect solve for just A. It could very well be an upgrade there. And it also potentially solves for an eventual C. when Tony White leaves.

As for B., this hire didn't need to solve for that. Rhule could make additional hires to attempt to replace Cooper's recruiting eye. Maybe the team is at a point where they no longer need to look for diamonds in the rough. Or maybe Garret McGuire sees this as an opportunity to take on a bit more responsibility and start burning through more Texas high school film. That's an assistant that will likely be seeing additional responsibilites through his career. Maybe Rhule hires Bill Busch as an assistant special teams coordinator or assistant defensive backs coach, or just general "defensive assistant" title and gives him Foley's recruiting hallpass.

And/or perhaps Rhule hires a couple more high school head coaches and works them into his on-field assistants with the intention that yes, these guys have headsets during games and practices, and will likely become full time assistants under Rhule in due time, but they're primary directive for now is to become experts on every god damn player in the state they came from.

Cooper's departure can be a loss, but there's multiple ways to make up for his departure. Butler looks to fix a big portion of that and fix an eventual future problem. Meanwhile, the 10-assistant ceiling being eliminated gives Rhule 1,000s of ways to solve for B.

Change is good. So a guy that he trusts that is not a better coach than the one they just hired is better? Help me understand.
Butler may be a better coach, but Cooper was Rhule’s right hand man. He gave him a ton of responsibility and freedom. Butler ain’t replacing that on day 1. I hope that makes sense, I can’t explain it any simpler if not.

I also don’t want to discredit Cooper’s ability as a coach, because a lot of dudes got better under his watch. Singleton and T. Hill specifically.

To be clear, I’m sure our secondary will be fine and play at a high level. I just think Rhule is going to have to spend more of his hours doing stuff that he once delegated to Cooper. Or find someone else to groom who can eventually take that over.

The thing I try and remember is that Cooper wasn't always an on-field assistant coach under Rhule. At Temple he had a Director of External Operations role, and after a year at Miami, he came back with a Director of Player Development. It wasn't until Baylor that he got the chance to have an on-field role. Before that time, Rhule had coaches like Fran Brown working the secondary along with Phil Snow coaching safeties. If Cooper was that big of an asset even back then, it's possible to still replace some of his capabilities in a separate position.

At the time of his resignation, Cooper had definitely evolved into a multifaceted component in Rhule's operation, leaving him without A. a defensive backs coach along with B. a film-burning recruiting wunderkind.

I think it's fine that Butler's hire is a damn perfect solve for just A. It could very well be an upgrade there. And it also potentially solves for an eventual C. when Tony White leaves.

As for B., this hire didn't need to solve for that. Rhule could make additional hires to attempt to replace Cooper's recruiting eye. Maybe the team is at a point where they no longer need to look for diamonds in the rough. Or maybe Garret McGuire sees this as an opportunity to take on a bit more responsibility and start burning through more Texas high school film. That's an assistant that will likely be seeing additional responsibilites through his career. Maybe Rhule hires Bill Busch as an assistant special teams coordinator or assistant defensive backs coach, or just general "defensive assistant" title and gives him Foley's recruiting hallpass.

And/or perhaps Rhule hires a couple more high school head coaches and works them into his on-field assistants with the intention that yes, these guys have headsets during games and practices, and will likely become full time assistants under Rhule in due time, but they're primary directive for now is to become experts on every god damn player in the state they came from.

Cooper's departure can be a loss, but there's multiple ways to make up for his departure. Butler looks to fix a big portion of that and fix an eventual future problem. Meanwhile, the 10-assistant ceiling being eliminated gives Rhule 1,000s of ways to solve for B.
Good stuff. We will be fine.

My concern with Cooper is that he was lauded over and over by Coach Rhule for his ability to identify hidden gems.

Yet, here we were going into last December’s signing period and again going into the summer borderline desperate to land a transfer CB.

Why is that? Lack of development? What is the ROI on the hidden gems identified by Cooper?

Jalen Lloyd is one. The LB recruit out of Stillwater unrecruited by the state schools didn’t last his first semester IIRC. Any others?

My concern with Cooper is that he was lauded over and over by Coach Rhule for his ability to identify hidden gems.

Yet, here we were going into last December’s signing period and again going into the summer borderline desperate to land a transfer CB.

Why is that? Lack of development? What is the ROI on the hidden gems identified by Cooper?

Jalen Lloyd is one. The LB recruit out of Stillwater unrecruited by the state schools didn’t last his first semester IIRC. Any others?
Takes more than a year, man. Sheesh.

The test will be if some of these 3 stars he recruited/identified eventually turn into draft picks. Time will tell. And maybe now there’s a better coach in place to develop those guys that are raw.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Picture grid mode

You can control the structure where you can open/close images in the grid forum list.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

Close radius

You can use the radius at the corners of the blocks according to your taste by closing/opening it.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Backgrounds are not available!

Background checks are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Back