Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Nebrasketball Bubble Watch (2 Viewers)

Seaofred92

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Nebrasketball
Will update after our game tonight but… Minnesota is 74th in NET, which is right on the fringe for a Q2 home game. Depending on the results of tonight’s game, that result will either wind up in Q2 or Q3 and waffle back and forth the rest of the season depending on how Minnesota finishes

Cornicator

Cornerback
Insider
I think Nebraska wins out in the regular season.

Maybe someone can look this up to confirm, but I'm fairly certain Nebraska is 17-4 when Mast and Gary have been full participants together.

Its quite possible that Nebraska is a legit top 25 caliber team with a fully healthy roster.

2010sarenevercoming

5 Star Punter
Elite Member
IMO, we're pretty solidly out of the bubble.

With the caveat that 2 of the 3 remaining games would be pretty bad losses & can get us back there if we stub our toes.

But 3 more dubs between the regular season & conference tourney & we're a lock. 2 more and we're probably still okay.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
IMO, we're pretty solidly out of the bubble.

With the caveat that 2 of the 3 remaining games would be pretty bad losses & can get us back there if we stub our toes.

But 3 more dubs between the regular season & conference tourney & we're a lock. 2 more and we're probably still okay.

If I recall, they pretty much consider the top 40 in NET to be “locks.” I think we are 43rd as of this morning.

2010sarenevercoming

5 Star Punter
Elite Member
If I recall, they pretty much consider the top 40 in NET to be “locks.” I think we are 43rd as of this morning.
I'm not talking about locks from the point of view of college basketball experts with years of bracketology experience.

I'm talking about my own personal lead pipe lock, having done several internet searches over the past couple weeks & staring at some standings & stats pages for many minutes, maybe even a couple hours.

c5f3050a-b3d6-438a-8546-3d31975d78d4_text.gif

HCFord1

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
Will update after our game tonight but… Minnesota is 74th in NET, which is right on the fringe for a Q2 home game. Depending on the results of tonight’s game, that result will either wind up in Q2 or Q3 and waffle back and forth the rest of the season depending on how Minnesota finishes
This may be a dumb question, but as a Nebraska fan I'm relatively new to the ins and outs of bracketology.

If last night's win could potentially become a Q2 win again if Minnesota finishes strong, then why at this point is our road loss to them not considered a Q3 loss?

2010sarenevercoming

5 Star Punter
Elite Member
This may be a dumb question, but as a Nebraska fan I'm relatively new to the ins and outs of bracketology.

If last night's win could potentially become a Q2 win again if Minnesota finishes strong, then why at this point is our road loss to them not considered a Q3 loss?
Quads are divided differently based on whether the game is home, neutral, or away:

Quadrants (Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4) — In order to determine the strength of a team’s wins or losses, the selection committee divides the team’s record into four quadrants on each team sheet. The quadrants are meant to serve as an indicator of how good a team’s wins are, or how bad their losses are. Each quadrant is divided based on a combination of the location of the game — Home (H), Neutral court (N), or Away (A) — and the opponent’s NET ranking.

• Q1: H: 1-30; N: 1-50; A: 1-75
  • Q2: H: 31-75; N: 51-100; A: 76-135
  • Q3: H: 76-160; N: 101-200; A: 136-240
  • Q4: H:161-353; N: 201-353; A: 241-353

BluesBucksNHuskers

Running Back
Elite Member
Question for our bracketology majors.

If Nebraska won out and snuck our way into #2 in the big 10 then let’s say lost in the semis of the Big10 tourney. Could we get up to a 5 or 6 seed?

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider

If Nebraska won out and snuck our way into #2 in the big 10 then let’s say lost in the semis of the Big10 tourney. Could we get up to a 5 or 6 seed?

Far from a bracketologist, but the word is that our ceiling is a 7 seed. I would prefer a 7 or a 10 seed to be honest with you so that way if you do win the first round you avoid playing a 1 seed in the next round.

Seaofred92

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Nebrasketball

There is much less subjectivity to the NCAA Tournament selection process than the CFP selection process. It’s all about who we beat, not necessarily how far we make it in the B1G tournament if that makes sense.

@ OSU is the only Quadrant 1 game left on our schedule this season. The B1G Tournament may provide more of those but in order to move up seed lines you really need to stack Q1 (and to a lesser extent Q2) wins. There are also “tiers” within the quadrants so while winning @ Purdue and @ Ohio State are both Q1 games as an example, winning @ Purdue is received in a much better light

My read is Nebraska won’t get higher than an 8 unless they go out and win the B1G tournament. They’d almost rather stay at 10 to avoid the 8/9 game at that point

kyle23

Linebacker
Elite Member

Here's how I see it:

Purdue is all but locked into the #1 seed.

ILL finishes the year with MN, @WI, Purdue, and @IA. Nebraska is 1.5 games back from ILL and they own the tiebreaker. We would need to win out and have ILL drop two games. ILL owns the head to head tiebreaker.

WI ends with @IN, ILL, RU, and @Purdue. They are only a .5 game up with Nebraska. If we win out and WI drops a game that represents our best chance at a double bye. In the event, it goes to tiebreaker -

We split the series with WI and the next tiebreaker is the record versus the top seed which will likely be Purdue. We own the tiebreaker in this scenario.

NW is a .5 up on Nebraska and ends the year with @MD, IA, @MI ST, and MN. If NW drops a game and we win out I think we secure a double bye. I think this is our second most likely option to gaining a double bye.

Again we split the series with NW. If Purdue ends as the #1 we are 1-0 and NW is 1-1. I think the next layer is winning percentage versus that team which we would then own.

Overall, I think the likelihood of Nebraska sneaking into a #2 seed in the BIG 10 tourney is unlikely, but we have a good chance of receiving a double bye. If that happens we could rise to a #7 seed.

I'm not an expert by any means so take this with a grain of slaw.

Last edited:

BluesBucksNHuskers

Running Back
Elite Member
Here's how I see it:

Purdue is all but locked into the #1 seed.

ILL finishes the year with MN, @WI, Purdue, and @IA. Nebraska is 1.5 games back from ILL and own the tiebreaker. We would need to win out and have ILL drop two games.

WI ends with @IN, ILL, RU, and @Purdue. They are only a .5 game up with Nebraska. If we win out and WI drops a game that represents our best chance at a double bye.

NW is a .5 up on Nebraska and ends the year with @MD, IA, @MI ST, and MN. If NW drops a game and we win out I think we secure a double bye. I think this is our second most likely option to gaining a double bye.

Overall, I think the likelihood of Nebraska seeking into a #2 seed in the BIG 10 tourney is unlikely, but we have a good chance of receiving a double bye. If that happens we could rise to a #7 seed.

I'm not an expert by any means so take this with a grain of slaw.

Yeah thats what I was looking at this morning. We have a pretty favorable shot at a double bye with an outside chance at a 2 seed. I know nothing about how the selection process works but it would seem weird to me that a double bye team in the Big10 being a 10 seed.

stonesak

Wave goodbye now, it's time for you to go
If we keep winning by double digits, our metrics will improve enough to be in consideration for a seven seed.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds