Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Nebrasketball 2024-25 Roster Ins/Outs (1 Viewer)

Schedule detail

Aug 31, 2024 at 12:33 PM
  • Unstick thread
  1. Seaofred92 Seaofred92

Bulldog10

Linebacker
Elite Member
So what are your thoughts on this upcoming season? Over or under finishing 6.5 in the Big Ten?
I think we will probably be average & struggle to score at times. Don’t really have anyone who’s ever been an above average scorer. But could be elite defensively, and if so I could see them finishing around sixth. If I was betting on it though I’d hammer the over, I’ve watched enough Nebraska basketball to have any expectations. They’ll probably end up finishing 8-9.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
I think we will probably be average & struggle to score at times. Don’t really have anyone who’s ever been an above average scorer. But could be elite defensively, and if so I could see them finishing around sixth. If I was betting on it though I’d hammer the over, I’ve watched enough Nebraska basketball to have any expectations. They’ll probably end up finishing 8-9.

What would you consider above average?

MtnHusker

Legend
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Gotta disagree with your comment about not having anyone who's ever been above an average scorer. Williams is a gifted scorer. I wouldn't be surprised to see Berke lead us in scoring. He has as much offensive skills as any player we have had in a long time. He was one of the leading scorers for the Turkish team in the Under 20 World Championships which is top level competition. Essegian set a record for 3's while he was at Wisconsin his freshman year. I think he made about the same number Keisei did last season. And I'd add Griffiths to the list of skilled offensive players. I wouldn't be surprised to see him drafted in the next year or 2. Not many players with a combination of his length, athleticism and shooting.

We really only had Keisei, Williams and Mast who I would have considered above average offensively last season.

Bulldog10

Linebacker
Elite Member
Gotta disagree with your comment about not having anyone who's ever been above an average scorer. Williams is a gifted scorer. I wouldn't be surprised to see Berke lead us in scoring. He has as much offensive skills as any player we have had in a long time. He was one of the leading scorers for the Turkish team in the Under 20 World Championships which is top level competition. Essegian set a record for 3's while he was at Wisconsin his freshman year. I think he made about the same number Keisei did last season. And I'd add Griffiths to the list of skilled offensive players. I wouldn't be surprised to see him drafted in the next year or 2. Not many players with a combination of his length, athleticism and shooting.

We really only had Keisei, Williams and Mast who I would have considered above average offensively last season.
Yes it all looks good on paper but none of them have been “the guy” at this level. I think Williams is solid af but not sure he can be your go to option. Im not saying it’s impossible but aside from essegian (who plays 0 defense) none of the additions have been above average scorers at this level before.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
Yes it all looks good on paper but none of them have been “the guy” at this level. I think Williams is solid af but not sure he can be your go to option. Im not saying it’s impossible but aside from essegian (who plays 0 defense) none of the additions have been above average scorers at this level before.

We’ve got a ton of guys on the roster who it is more than safe to project an improvement in production from. The overwhelming majority of our roster has power five experience and many of them in this league.

Gary - Going into his 4th year of p5
Williams - 2nd year of P5
Hoiberg - 3rd year of P5
Berke - 2nd year of P5
Griffiths - 2nd year of P5
Essigan (spelling) - 3rd year of p5
Meah - 2nd year of P5
Ulis - 3rd year of p5
Rollie - 4th year of P5
Morgan - 1st year of P5

Bulldog10

Linebacker
Elite Member
We’ve got a ton of guys on the roster who it is more than safe to project an improvement in production from. The overwhelming majority of our roster has power five experience and many of them in this league.

Gary - Going into his 4th year of p5
Williams - 2nd year of P5
Hoiberg - 3rd year of P5
Berke - 2nd year of P5
Griffiths - 2nd year of P5
Essigan (spelling) - 3rd year of p5
Meah - 2nd year of P5
Ulis - 3rd year of p5
Rollie - 4th year of P5
Morgan - 1st year of P5
I think it would be a safe bet that we won’t see too much improvement from Gary, Williams, or Hoiberg. Berke, Griffiths & Essegian I could see why it’s a safe bet for them to improve a lot but nothings a sure thing. You’re still banking on guys that have never done it before. Meah is meh, there’s a reason he was like our 5th pick of big men in the portal. Rollie and Ulis could be a solid pair but neither have ever scored at a high level.

MtnHusker

Legend
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I think it would be a safe bet that we won’t see too much improvement from Gary, Williams, or Hoiberg. Berke, Griffiths & Essegian I could see why it’s a safe bet for them to improve a lot but nothings a sure thing. You’re still banking on guys that have never done it before. Meah is meh, there’s a reason he was like our 5th pick of big men in the portal. Rollie and Ulis could be a solid pair but neither have ever scored at a high level.
I think you will be hard pressed to find many teams that have added multiple true proven Power5 scorers. The only 1 we added that fits your criteria is Essegian as he averaged almost 12 pts/game as a freshman. Injuries limited his minutes drastically last season, and having AJ Storr playing the same position didn't help his playing time either. Unless you are Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina & Kansas you really can't expect to get a pile of proven Power5 scorers.

This summer Berke was the 2nd leading scorer for the Turkish Under 20 National Team. He also was their leading rebounder, shot blocker and 3 Pt % Shooter. Watch his film and you see a fluid athlete that can score on all three levels. He's going to put up numbers for us and be a mismatch nightmare for opposing teams. Nagging injuries sidelined him last season at UCLA, where many had him projected as a 1 and Done as an NBA Draft Pick.

Meah is there for Blocked Shots, Rebounding & Pick-n-Roll. Help on D and clean the glass. We don't need 5 scorers on the floor. When on the defensive end he averages rebounding 25% of the missed shots. I believe that was one of the highest averages in basketball last season so he should really help limit the other team from having so many possessions with multiple shots.

I'm not expecting big numbers from our PG's but they both excel at distributing the rock and on the defensive end. I think with their addition plus the improved athleticism you will see Fred push the pace more. Rollie has talked about Fred wanting to increase the pace in some interviews. We have depth, length, experience and versatility I've never seen on a Husker Hoops team. I think it will be much like last season where we will have 4-5 players that rotate being our leading scorer as we will not have a primary scorer. If I had to guess I might lean towards thinking Berke would be our leading scorer for the season with Williams right behind him. I can see Berke, Williams, Griffiths & Essegian all regularly taking turns being the high scorer for a game. Also wouldn't surprise me to see all of them average double digit scoring for the season.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds