Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

My curmudgeon thoughts after Illinois

Not to hijack the OP, but I'll add a few of my thoughts here instead of starting a new thread.

We must be closing to being back because that loss stung worse than any loss has the last few of years. Maybe I had gotten numb to the losing and now it hurts again because I have hope. But that's OK. Losing should hurt. I didn't watch a second of football Saturday because when the Huskers lose, I want to get football out of my mind.

It's puzzling what has happened to the defense, especially when we return essentially everyone, players and coaches, from a defense no one could run on last year. We saw cracks against Northern Cockeye, but anyone who noticed that was told, "What are you complaining about? We only gave up 3 points!" particularly by the media. Well, now we see what we were complaing about. Northern Cockeye punching holes in our defense on the ground foreshadowed a much better team -- who hasn't run the ball very well this year at all, mind you -- running right through us. I hope that's somethign we can figure out.

But I still have hope for this team. We weren't blown out and we had ample chances to win the game. It seems most people expected us to lose at least one game we shouldn't have, and hopefully this was it.

If there is anything that could convince me to believe in the simulation, it is Nebraska in overtime. Friday's overtime was the most typical example of what we've done in OT in a decade. We haven't scored a single pont in overtime during that time, and that's pretty remarkable considering you start with the ball in field goal range. It is just comical how bad we are in OT, through multiple coaching staffs and players.

GX-I0DbWkAAB6Zj

Last edited:
We must be closing to being back because that loss stung worse than any loss has the last few of years. Maybe I had gotten numb to the losing and now it hurts again because I have hope.
I woke up Saturday morning and this loss was still haunting me. Slightly into Sunday as well. This loss was really a kick in the junk.

In the Frost era I had actually gotten to the point where not only was I not bothered the next day...but I was actually over the loss later that day/night.

This must be a new era based on that reaction alone. That Illini loss pissed me off more than some of the losses in the Osborne era.

I woke up Saturday morning and this loss was still haunting me. Slightly into Sunday as well. This loss was really a kick in the junk.

In the Frost era I had actually gotten to the point where not only was I not bothered the next day...but I was actually over the loss later that day/night.

This must be a new era based on that reaction alone. That Illini loss pissed me off more than some of the losses in the Osborne era.
This sums my feelings up too. I had gotten to the point I just expected to lose with Frost. With Rhule I’m back to caring again and this loss bothered me more than any in a long time. But I’ve shaken it off and ready to move on.

Yeah. I couldn't bring myself to watch a second of football Saturday. Got lots of yardwork done, though.

I work in media and cover sports, so you'd think covering the Huskers would be my dream job. But no. I couldn't do it because when the Huskers lose I pout and want to shove it out of my brain ASAP.

Not to hijack the OP, but I'll add a few of my thoughts here instead of starting a new thread.

We must be closing to being back because that loss stung worse than any loss has the last few of years. Maybe I had gotten numb to the losing and now it hurts again because I have hope. But that's OK. Losing should hurt. I didn't watch a second of football Saturday because when the Huskers lose, I want to get football out of my mind.

It's puzzling what has happened to the defense, especially when we return essentially everyone, players and coaches, from a defense no one could run on last year. We saw cracks against Northern Cockeye, but anyone who noticed that was told, "What are you complaining about? We only gave up 3 points!" particularly by the media. Well, now we see what we were complaing about. Northern Cockeye punching holes in our defense on the ground foreshadowed a much better team -- who hasn't run the ball very well this year at all, mind you -- running right through us. I hope that's somethign we can figure out.

But I still have hope for this team. We weren't blown out and we had ample chances to win the game. It seems most people expected us to lose at least one game we shouldn't have, and hopefully this was it.

If there is anything that could convince me to believe in the simulation, it is Nebraska in overtime. Friday's overtime was the most typical example of what we've done in OT in a decade. We haven't scored a single pont in overtime during that time, and that's pretty remarkable considering you start with the ball in field goal range. It is just comical how bad we are in OT, through multiple coaching staffs and players.

GX-I0DbWkAAB6Zj

I think it’s a couple things with the defense. Our linebacker group doesn’t seem to be as good this year, and let’s be honest we faced mostly trash offenses last year. The one good offense we did face in Michigan had their way from start to finish with us. I still think we can have a decent defense, but I don’t see anyway we beat teams like USC and OSU.

I'm going to add some more because I'm still upset.

7: I'm not buying the long snapper issues. If LS was an issue how come it hasn't been a problem on extra points? And.....On the missed kick the laces were facing the wrong way.....give me a fucking break. He didn't miss based on where the laces were facing. I've followed football for over 40 years and this is the first time I've heard this bullshit excuse.

8: Time for Foley to step up or fuck off. I know, I know, I know he's everybody's favorite small town diner chuckle fuck. Hardy har he's at another greasy spoon. How about the work? Special teams has cost us plenty in the last two years and so I must surmise that abusing your colon at every roadside dump isn't helping somehow.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll wake up and move on, but today ain't the day.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back