Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Minnesota Game Week Thread (1 Viewer)

Tsakoi

Running Back
Elite Member
They don't want to fair catch kick offs because of...tradition?

Nah, a high kick inside the 10 outside the hash is a fair catch all day to me. Take advantage of the rule.
That quote from Rhule might just be some gamesmenship. Say something like that a few days before the game and the opponent is forced to work kick coverage a little more in practice and waste their time.

Last edited:

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
That quote from Rhule might just be some gamesmenship. Say something like that a few days before the game and the opponent is forced to work kick coverage a little more in practice and waster their time.
Fair enough.

I just can't imagine why you wouldn't fair catch a ball that is landing on top of the numbers at the 2 yard line.

2010sarenevercoming

5 Star Punter
Elite Member

Nah, a high kick inside the 10 outside the hash is a fair catch all day to me. Take advantage of the rule.

That quote from Rhule might just be some gamesmenship. Say something like that a few days before the game and the opponent is forced to work kick coverage a little more in practice and waster their time.
I think it's legit. The analytics reason is a big play tends to have a large impact on game result, much more so than the potential field position tradeoff.

The psychological reason is that it puts pressure on your opponent, and is another piece of instilling the attitude that you go out & win games.

I don't think that means we'll discard all situational awareness, but I would expect we will be returning the vast, vast majority of kicks if he's saying this.

LNKinLNK

Bench Warmer
Elite Member
Fair enough.

I just can't imagine why you wouldn't fair catch a ball that is landing on top of the numbers at the 2 yard line.
It makes sense if you believe your return team can average more than 25 yards per return. That would be top 25 for returners last year.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG

Suspicious Red Flag GIF by ABC Network

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds