Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Minneapolis Recs (2 Viewers)

Herbie

Quarterback
I get the way you're looking at it but can you not see the other way? The charge is the cost of business but gives you the choice to pay cash and save that cost. You'd pay the same price with a card for whatever it is you're getting whether or not they offer the cash discount.
I get your side too and honestly I have nothing wrong with cash discounts.

Here’s where my gripe comes in, no one uses them correctly/as intended. They just call it a cash discount to skirt around legality of ccp surcharging.

The menu price should be the price they charge to cover cost, not adding a surcharge on top of it. If I’m paying with cash that’s when the discount should be applied to my order.
If the menu price is what you pay with tax it’s not a cash discount. You’re just surcharging the ccp. Make your menu prices right and I have no gripe.

Herbie

Quarterback
wouldn’t be a problem if we had fewer shitty tippers.
Hospitality industry is fucked right now with a labor shortage.
But it’s funny when you step back, it’s either people bitching no one wants to work or the unicorn of staffing isn’t the issue.

The places with issues are places stuck in outdated models of how to run a restaurant today. Places that aren’t know how to handle their business. They know if they add an extra 3% to their food cost to supplement labor cost for employee retention that’s what they need to do.

Herbie

Quarterback
That’s what the restaurant is doing bro
It’s not really what they are doing tho. On their website it tells you it doesnt replace tipping.
If the restaurant does 100k/month that’s an extra 18k for employees. But the split that 18k evenly it says. So if they have 20 employees they split that up with each employee is looking at $900 a month before taxes. Like they still need tips to be able to live.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
It’s not really what they are doing tho. On their website it tells you it doesnt replace tipping.
If the restaurant does 100k/month that’s an extra 18k for employees. But the split that 18k evenly it says. So if they have 20 employees they split that up with each employee is looking at $900 a month before taxes. Like they still need tips to be able to live.
I mean....a restaurant that does 100k/month in receipts doesn't have 20 employees.

Herbie

Quarterback
Iirc their Katsu chicken was $10 when I was looking at it.
If they just raised the menu price 20% to $12 no one would give a fuck. And I’d tip 20% on top.
If you tell me it’s $10 then add on 18%. I’m probably not tipping. You lost your employees more money.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Iirc their Katsu chicken was $10 when I was looking at it.
If they just raised the menu price 20% to $12 no one would give a fuck. And I’d tip 20% on top.
If you tell me it’s $10 then add on 18%. I’m probably not tipping. You lost your employees more money.
Much better example.

KidsSeeGhosts

Quarterback
Elite Member

That's not how I read it at all. "You are under no obligation to leave an additional tip. Your server earns an hourly wage, as well as an even share of the service charge. Some of our guests have requested a tip line to thank their server for going above and beyond to provide an excellent experience. The additional gratuity is completely optional. There's a pretty decent movement to move away from tipped wages for restaurants and just use a service fee."

I get what you're talking about with the spots that add like a 3% fee to every check to provide health care or something like that. Pretty big movement and common these days to get rid of tipping for servers and just move to fixed wage. Tends to really piss people off so restaurants have to message transparently up front and still end up pissing people off. Bit lose lose

KidsSeeGhosts

Quarterback
Elite Member
I wonder how those wages compare to minimum plus tips.

Depends on if the place is paying minimum minimum or tipped minimum. Lot of it is just taking a variable pay rate w/ artificially low prices that depends on people tipping at a certain level to making it fixed. Lot of places ban tip sharing/pooling, so other part of it is to equalize between front of house and back of house.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Depends on if the place is paying minimum minimum or tipped minimum. Lot of it is just taking a variable pay rate w/ artificially low prices that depends on people tipping at a certain level to making it fixed. Lot of places ban tip sharing/pooling, so other part of it is to equalize between front of house and back of house.
Meant server minimum plus tips. Don't know of anyone around here that bans tip pooling. Pretty standard for the bigger restaurants.

Strippers it's discretionary but get treated like shit by the non strippers if they're perceived as being unfair.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds