Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Mike Gundy?

Anyone know if there was any morsel of truth to the Jim Tressel rumors in 2014 or were those just people going full retard?

Total BS. Even if the guy would have had interest, Eichorst had his odd Riley infatuation which negated the possibility of finding a good coach.

Tressel still had a show cause that basically made coaching out of the question for him.

That was basically every coach I had growing up in the late 80's/early 90's. I always thought that is how it was done.

I was more pissed about how his defense never evolved. Him being a dick or a fiery coach never phased me.
Yeah, I think the Bo temper thing is some revisionist history. People soured on him because of the blowouts. The messages boards were littered with "would you rather be 9-3 with 3 blowouts and no chance of ever winning the B1G, or have some 7-5's in bad years but win the conference in the best years" threads.

Unfortunately, two coaches later we found a guy that will get a parade if he can stumble to his first 7-5 season in year 5.

Yeah, I think the Bo temper thing is some revisionist history. People soured on him because of the blowouts. The messages boards were littered with "would you rather be 9-3 with 3 blowouts and no chance of ever winning the B1G, or have some 7-5's in bad years but win the conference in the best years" threads.

Unfortunately, two coaches later we found a guy that will get a parade if he can stumble to his first 7-5 season in year 5.
It is but isn’t. I remember talking to my uncle he in one of Bo’s first years and the way we saw it is if Bo didn’t win enough people would start turning on him because a fair amount of people don’t like the type of image he put out there even though we had no issue with it. The same goes for a guy like Saban. If he started getting blown out and not competing for Championships Bama fans would turn on him and his firey attitude would turn into him being an arrogant prick. A coach can go from a hero to out the door pretty quick.

Only speaking for myself, but Bo being an enormous asshole had zero impact on how I felt about him as a coach - his teams peaking in 09 and 10, and then got worse. He didn’t recruit at a level to sustain success, couldn’t adjust and was going to get a lot worse in the near term.

I think his demeanor hurt him as a coach, but he could have called whoever he wanted a cunt if his teams won anything.

I don't think Gundy was "stable" at the time. IIRC he was on one of their big boosters shit list.
Sorry The Hangover GIF

Only speaking for myself, but Bo being an enormous asshole had zero impact on how I felt about him as a coach - his teams peaking in 09 and 10, and then got worse. He didn’t recruit at a level to sustain success, couldn’t adjust and was going to get a lot worse in the near term.

I think his demeanor hurt him as a coach, but he could have called whoever he wanted a cunt if his teams won anything.

Agreed. I always thought Bo was a shit coach who only benefitted from Callahan's stockpile of players. He was terrible at adjusting during the game and with his lazy ass recruiting he wasn't building towards anything. Frost isn't too dissimilar IMO...Frost just never had the benefit of players that Penis Pelini had.

Agreed. I always thought Bo was a shit coach who only benefitted from Callahan's stockpile of players. He was terrible at adjusting during the game and with his lazy ass recruiting he wasn't building towards anything. Frost isn't too dissimilar IMO...Frost just never had the benefit of players that Penis Pelini had.
I think Pelini’s issue was recruiting. He didn’t take it seriously enough. He had a fair amount of comebacks so I don’t know if I can by the adjustment part. He definitely didn’t adjust to Wisconsin.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back