Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Mike Gundy?

The one thing that gets overlooked with Gundy is the guy does a very good job of finding good assistant coaches. He has had to replace a lot of solid coaches throughout the years.
They also signed a whopping 10 4 stars in the 5 years leading up to their 12-2 season last year

It's because Eichorst was a cunt. I was 100% in agreement with Bo on that one.

The Mike Riley hire was one of the most WTF hires of any blue blood I remember. NU was still a decent program in 2014 and could have had 30 coaches better than Riley.
If you really want to blow your own mind, imagine if we'd have hired Mike Riley just 5 years earlier than we did. His resume at that time would have likely counted him as a "splash" hire. 2 time Grey cup champ. Former NFL HC. Only finished worse than 3rd in the PAC twice, during prime PAC era. Averaged 8 wins a year over his first 7 years at OSU.

He'd have come here with all that fan fare just to crumble just as bad as he truly did.

2008/9 or even as late as 12, wanting old man Riley was defensible. Before or after that seems iffy

If you really want to blow your own mind, imagine if we'd have hired Mike Riley just 5 years earlier than we did. His resume at that time would have likely counted him as a "splash" hire. 2 time Grey cup champ. Former NFL HC. Only finished worse than 3rd in the PAC twice, during prime PAC era. Averaged 8 wins a year over his first 7 years at OSU.

He'd have come here with all that fan fare just to crumble just as bad as he truly did.
Great minds think alike.

I'm still iffy on if Riley was fucked more by the circumstances than he was a genuinely bad coach. But there certainly wasn't ever going to be a time he would have worked in Lincoln given that buy in would have been very low at any point in time for his hire
I think you're right about him being fucked by circumstances. Admin played him like a drum. I don't think he was ever going to be a national championship coach, and I think he was on the downhill slope of his career, but I think he could have averaged 7 or 8 wins here easily if left alone to do his thing.

Our Coaching hires have been a disaster since T.O. quit coaching. Not one of the fired coaches ended up with a Head Coaching job where they were even decent. Callahan got a quick Interim Coach title in the NFL but he is better suited being one of the best O-Line Coaches. Riley ends up in the USFL or whatever those Knock Off NFL Leagues are. Pelini and Solich both were underwhelming at Youngstown St & Ohio University. If you can't even win a Conference Championship in the MAC in almost 20 years, what makes you think you can compete in the B1G? Pelini struggled mightily at Youngstown St.

Our AD's have passed up on so many good coaches to hire Pelini, Riley & Frost. These coaches expressed serious interest in coaching at Nebraska and were not hired, and in some cases not even given any interest:
-Mike Sherman
-Chris Peterson
-Bob Stoopes
-Al Saunders with Kevin Steele as his DC
-Mike Gundy

Didn’t read the full thread. But…

Gundy would have been at the height of his hatred with OkieSt in 2014.

Gundy’s sister lives in Lincoln. Her husband is a big wig with Farm Bureau Nebraska.

Gundy interviewed and was ready to go to Tennessee in 2017.

I think he could be pulled away from Okst for the right price still.

I'm still iffy on if Riley was fucked more by the circumstances than he was a genuinely bad coach. But there certainly wasn't ever going to be a time he would have worked in Lincoln given that buy in would have been very low at any point in time for his hire
Circumstances. He's not a great coach, but he's not as bad as the frost apologists make it seem.

I think you're right about him being fucked by circumstances. Admin played him like a drum. I don't think he was ever going to be a national championship coach, and I think he was on the downhill slope of his career, but I think he could have averaged 7 or 8 wins here easily if left alone to do his thing.
Riley was not the right hire but he was totally screwed over by the Husker Power Brokers. Once again an outsider not accepted or supported by so much of the establishment. T.O. wouldn't even meet with Riley when he said he would love to speak with T.O. about succeeding at Nebraska. The more I have learned about what went on behind the scenes it just blows my mind as former Coaches/AD's and Boosters acted like jilted teenage girls with some of their petty antics when they didn't get their way or when presented with anything that wasn't Traditional Nebraska. They did not want any change.

Hopefully Turd has the Stones and safety to tell these detrimental people to back off so he can do what is right for the Husker Football program.

Our Coaching hires have been a disaster since T.O. quit coaching. Not one of the fired coaches ended up with a Head Coaching job where they were even decent. Callahan got a quick Interim Coach title in the NFL but he is better suited being one of the best O-Line Coaches. Riley ends up in the USFL or whatever those Knock Off NFL Leagues are. Pelini and Solich both were underwhelming at Youngstown St & Ohio University. If you can't even win a Conference Championship in the MAC in almost 20 years, what makes you think you can compete in the B1G? Pelini struggled mightily at Youngstown St.

Our AD's have passed up on so many good coaches to hire Pelini, Riley & Frost. These coaches expressed serious interest in coaching at Nebraska and were not hired, and in some cases not even given any interest:
-Mike Sherman
-Chris Peterson
-Bob Stoopes
-Mike Gundy
People talk a ton of shit about Stevie P, but that mother fucker got out his elephant gun and went big game hunting to replace Solich. It didn't work out, but you can't fault the effort

People talk a ton of shit about Stevie P, but that mother fucker got out his elephant gun and went big game hunting to replace Solich. It didn't work out, but you can't fault the effort
Stevie P was not afraid to go after the biggest names out there. Got shot down a ton of times but kept getting up. After Solich was let go though he was in the crosshairs of T.O. & his gang. Lots of friction behind the scenes, and ultimately T.O. ended up replacing him. Can you imagine our dynasty if T.O. had just kept coaching for another 5-10 years instead of forcing Frank on us and then ascending into the AD position? Probably had a couple more National Championships. We were the Bama of our time and could have probably hired any college coach in the country and T.O. forced the AD's hand to hire a RB's Coach who had never even been a Coordinator let alone a Head Coach.

He had a plan is about all I’ll say. Even if his plan would have worked exactly how he thought it would have or should have, we end up with Mike Sherman who proceeded to go 25-25 at Texas aTm. So I’m not sure I’d call that a winning formula.

Things would have probably been better had he gotten his second choice in Al Saunders than his first choice.

He had a plan is about all I’ll say. Even if his plan would have worked exactly how he thought it would have or should have, we end up with Mike Sherman who proceeded to go 25-25 at Texas aTm. So I’m not sure I’d call that a winning formula.

Things would have probably been better had he gotten his second choice in Al Saunders than his first choice.
Knowing what we know now probably not, but we didn't know it at the time

-Mike Sherman
-Chris Peterson
-Bob Stoopes
-Mike Gundy
Nebraska has been its own worst enemy for what going on almost 25 years now. JFC that was sad to type out.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back