Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Media pass for tPB (1 Viewer)

nja13

2x All-state FG/PAT holder
Elite Member
@nja13

Aren’t you a journalismist? What’s the scoop?
I would be surprised if they granted a message board a media pass. Though passes to practice and post practice interviews are easier to get than a gameday credentials. Yore best bet would be someone who already works for a media company to go and be our “correspondent.”

Though, TBH, I don’t know what they would be able to provide this board above and beyond the observations published by the 50 or so media members that already go to these media sessions. I don’t see a high return on investment from a credentialed TPB correspondent. This board is about behind-the-scenes insider stuff. A credentialed media member would just be feeding us the same thing every other media member is already putting out there.

Last edited:

Husker Priapism

Linebacker
tPB OG
I know we have brought this up before but haven’t really done a lot to actually get it done.

It’s pretty awesome how many behind the scenes inside sources we’ve been able to get, in addition to all of the practice input from @alt f4, Waterboy (including a new waterboy for this year - more to come on that), @Faux Sean Callahan, and everyone else that always brings the goods. But we honestly might as well get a media pass too if possible. The more info, the better!

Does anyone know anyone in the athletic department that could help us get this? Or, does anyone know the general process to apply? I’ve tried a few methods before but have never heard back. If anyone has any leads or suggestions please let me know.
When I called last year. They said all the local passes had already been allotted. Not sure if it was BS, but if true, this is a good time to be pursuing it.

2010sarenevercoming

5 Star Punter
Elite Member
I would be surprised if they granted a message board a media pass. Though passes to practice and post practice interviews are easier to get than a gameday credentials. Yore best bet would be someone who already works for a media company to go and be our “correspondent.”

Though, TBH, I don’t know what they would be able to provide this board above and beyond the observations published by the 50 or so media members that already go to these media sessions. I don’t see a high return on investment from a credentialed TPB correspondent. This board is about behind-the-scenes insider stuff. A credentialed media member would just be feeding us the same thing every other media member is already putting out there.
A big part of the value IMO would be being able to ask better questions. Like if it was Donnie's day at the podium, asking him about his philosophy with thumb/hand placement would generate 100x better substance than the typical generic stuff that's typically asked. The answers wouldn't necessarily be exclusive to this site, but would be getting way more content out there for us all.

Black5hirt

Offensive Lineman
tPB OG
I thought he was a teacher.
giphy.gif

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG

Yeah just from the outside looking in, this might be an idea that seems cooler than it is... It would be awesome and hilarious to see a tPB representative at press conferences or whatever, but once you get in that world you don't really get free reign, you have to protect your access, which means making hard decisions about what to allow on the site.

I feel like it could easily become a situation where @HuskerGarrett has to block certain inside info from the board because he knows tPB media access could get revoked, and then the next thing you know he's wearing Lulu Lemon gloves and shaving his head while us message board peasants viciously start trying to call him "HuskerDean-arrett"

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG
I know we have brought this up before but haven’t really done a lot to actually get it done.

It’s pretty awesome how many behind the scenes inside sources we’ve been able to get, in addition to all of the practice input from @alt f4, Waterboy (including a new waterboy for this year - more to come on that), @Faux Sean Callahan, and everyone else that always brings the goods. But we honestly might as well get a media pass too if possible. The more info, the better!

Does anyone know anyone in the athletic department that could help us get this? Or, does anyone know the general process to apply? I’ve tried a few methods before but have never heard back. If anyone has any leads or suggestions please let me know.

I realize this may be a bit unorthodox, but if you're looking for a creative back door way into learning how to get a pass, you may want to consider a small town media outlet. If someone on here works for a small town newspaper and has a media pass, they might be able to lend you a pass (to start). That will allow you to work your contacts, or just probe them on who you should be talking to in order to obtain one.

With your scenario, something out of the box might work better?

About 20 years ago, I worked with this guy from a small town who was a photographer for a small-town newspaper in Nebraska. Therefore he had a media pass he lent me; along with his badass camera. I did have to bullshit my way through security a bit, but I was able to get on the field during the ISU/Nebraska game. Opportunity of a lifetime really.

The traditional method might be more cumbersome. JMO

nja13

Elite Member
I realize this may be a bit unorthodox, but if you're looking for a creative back door way into learning how to get a pass, you may want to consider a small town media outlet. If someone on here works for a small town newspaper and has a media pass, they might be able to lend you a pass (to start). That will allow you to work your contacts, or just probe them on who you should be talking to in order to obtain one.

With your scenario, something out of the box might work better?

About 20 years ago, I worked with this guy from a small town who was a photographer for a small-town newspaper in Nebraska. Therefore he had a media pass he lent me; along with his badass camera. I did have to bullshit my way through security a bit, but I was able to get on the field during the ISU/Nebraska game. Opportunity of a lifetime really.

The traditional method might be more cumbersome. JMO
This method could work. But you would still have to apply to get credentials. There isn't a singular "media pass" all newspapers posses that gets them access to such events. Media passes to Husker events are issued by the UNL Athletic Department.

nja13

Elite Member
A big part of the value IMO would be being able to ask better questions. Like if it was Donnie's day at the podium, asking him about his philosophy with thumb/hand placement would generate 100x better substance than the typical generic stuff that's typically asked. The answers wouldn't necessarily be exclusive to this site, but would be getting way more content out there for us all.
So this one TPB representative would have the talent and knowledge to ask better questions than the 50 or professional media outlets already there, and of course all of us TPB members are going to agree that the one or two questions TPB board guy gets to ask were the right questions and superior to all the other questions.

I appreciate the enthusiasm for the idea. I just don't see it working out in reality the way some of you are imagining it. It's a lot of effort to have Donny Raiola say "I just like the mobility and leverage this hand placement gives us" and then move on to the next question.

2010sarenevercoming

5 Star Punter
Elite Member
So this one TPB representative would have the talent and knowledge to ask better questions than the 50 or professional media outlets already there
This is not a high bar.

There may be a handful of guys in that gaggle who have some X's & O's knowledge, but are asking different questions for the human interest/mass media clicks story angle, but serious question: can you think of a single time one of them has asked something of a technical at even a JV football level? Tom, Sam, Dean, Mitch, Sip... go on down the list, it's not a group of guys who are adding insight on what's happening if they're in your living room watching the game with you & some buddies.

It would not be all that difficult to look at which coaches had availability coming up, think of a couple points that are worthwhile, and get a very basic understanding of those issues from a technical perspective. Most coaches really like discussing a lot of the theory and technique, and I'll bet a lot of them would relish the chance to say something about what they're passionate about, rather than give the same boilerplate offseason answers about how the team is doing.

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG
This method could work. But you would still have to apply to get credentials. There isn't a singular "media pass" all newspapers posses that gets them access to such events. Media passes to Husker events are issued by the UNL Athletic Department.
Very true. Sometimes working connections (new or old) so they can be advocates is a method to get your foot in the door. Sort of what Garrett did by starting this thread.

I just think doing what you can to get closer to the situation will lead places. Shit, maybe it's as simple as reaching out to someone in Lincoln or Omaha that has close ties to the university and asking for advice. I'm talking about sending a DM to Damon Benning, or friending Larry the Cable guy on IG

Really anything in life is about asking and being persistent. I've embarrassed my wife and family a few times with this method...lol

BorWhiskey

Ziggy Stardust
Insider
Elite Member
Yeah just from the outside looking in, this might be an idea that seems cooler than it is... It would be awesome and hilarious to see a tPB representative at press conferences or whatever, but once you get in that world you don't really get free reign, you have to protect your access, which means making hard decisions about what to allow on the site.

I feel like it could easily become a situation where @HuskerGarrett has to block certain inside info from the board because he knows tPB media access could get revoked, and then the next thing you know he's wearing Lulu Lemon gloves and shaving his head while us message board peasants viciously start trying to call him "HuskerDean-arrett"
Arnie needs to get a pass. He’s not going to jeopardize his integrity for the sake of the pass. And he will ask hard hitting questions about, I presume, what’s going on in pop culture at the moment.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
So this one TPB representative would have the talent and knowledge to ask better questions than the 50 or professional media outlets already there, and of course all of us TPB members are going to agree that the one or two questions TPB board guy gets to ask were the right questions and superior to all the other questions.
sam richardson GIF by Team Coco

BIG TONE SOPRANO

Really Big Truck
Elite Member

@nja13

Aren’t you a journalismist? What’s the scoop?
I tried brother. Let me see what I can figure out.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds