Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Matt Rhule coaching staff changes between Years 1 and 2 (3 Viewers)

BorWhiskey

Ziggy Stardust
Insider
Elite Member
You're an idiot if you think a magic WR asst coach is going to magically make shit players into Jerry Rice. Oh also we have the worst passing QBs in P5.
But if it’s a magic WR coach why can’t they magically make receivers turn into Jerry Rice?
There is some good stuff that has come from every OL position except LT. Improvements are evident from Benhart, Piper, and Nouilli. Not draft worthy or anything like that - but noticeably better than LY. Scott was a solid pickup - hoping for more from him though (was hoping for a solid B grade, so far a moderate C). .

TBH - Uncle Donnie has done better than I expected. We’ve gone from F to D+, with a shot at finishing around a C level. If we see continued improvement to that, he’s likely here for another year. That would be noticeable progress.
This is a good point. I joked earlier this week that we have a bunch of guards on the roster. It’s the truth, especially with Corc. We actually do not have a LT on the roster. Wtf are you supposed to do then?
You really can't go after a Co-OC and retain Satterfield imo.

Say we went after Tyson Helton as a Co-OC/QB coach (passing coordinator, he makes $800k as HC for WKU), where do you put Satt? He's not going to want to be the run-game coordinator.

My biggest problem with Satterfield is that the offense he ideally wants to run is not what Rhule is saying they're looking to run. As a QB coach he's never had a starter complete the season >100 QBR and he doesn't have a track record of developing QBs.
I get the ego hit that would come with it but it happens all the time. It wouldn’t be Satts decision.

I think the odds are low though.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Problem with jettisoning Donny and McGuire is they are tied to some of our best recruits. 3 off the top of my head are: Taumua, Barney, and Kewan Lacy. McGuire has had his hand in recruitment of like 5-6 guys IIRC.

If you're Rhule you can't let that change your evaluation.....I'm just putting that out there. McGuire specifically is central to Rhule's TX HS strategy (and he's actually delivering on it).

I don't know how you can really expect McGuire to do much with this pathetic group of WRs anyway. Any replacement is probably going to be a worse HS recruiter in TX too.
Which ones did Donny recruit? Silly talking about Boy Wonder with what he's working with.

I think I'm OK with anyone Donny recruited going away. Rather not lose the Hawaiian but not going to cry over it.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Which ones did Donny recruit? Silly talking about Boy Wonder with what he's working with.

I think I'm OK with anyone Donny recruited going away. Rather not lose the Hawaiian but not going to cry over it.
I agree on not making a decision on just one recruit, just pointing out that the Taumua kid is arguably our most important recruit (we need 4-5 of those OL recruits every year).

Just saying it'd suck to lose Taumua. But obviously you don't keep an asst coach for their recruit(s).

BluesBucksNHuskers

Running Back
Elite Member
I just don’t see a way you keep Raiola another year. Between Rhule being a line focused guy and having a shitty OL being a peg leg in a triathlon, I can’t envision a scenario this Y2 OL result warranting keeping a job in the highest paying sport/conference in college sports.

I hope we keep the whole defensive staff another year.

I really don’t care on the rest of the offensive coaches.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
I just don’t see a way you keep Raiola another year. Between Rhule being a line focused guy and having a shitty OL being a peg leg in a triathlon, I can’t envision a scenario this Y2 OL result warranting keeping a job in the highest paying sport/conference in college sports.

I hope we keep the whole defensive staff another year.

I really don’t care on the rest of the offensive coaches.
I don't expect Donny to be back. IIRC he's only on a 1 yr deal. He's easy to part with. I'm guessing Rhule will want a fresh start there.

I can't imagine we'd keep Taumua in that case which would suck. But thems the breaks.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds