Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Matt Rhule coaching staff changes between Years 1 and 2 (1 Viewer)

Fargo Husker

Quarterback
Elite Member
We are all fans of a college football team that sucks. Because of this, the discussion naturally steers towards which assistant coaches need to be fired.

We, as human beings, are also all creatures of habit. This holds especially true for Division 1 football coaches and, IMO, is ESPECIALLY true for Matt Rhule. If you want to get a good idea of what Rhule is going to do in the future, we need to look at what has happened with him in the past.

Given all this, I decided to look back at Rhule's past two D1 head coaching gigs at Temple and Baylor to see what transpired as far as changes in his coaching staffs. Here is what I found:

TEMPLE
Position2013 Coach2014 CoachReason for Change
AHC/TEEd FoleyEd Foley---
OCMarcus SatterfieldMarcus Satterfield---
DCPhil SnowPhil Snow---
DBFrancis BrownFrancis Brown---
RBTyree ForemanTyree Foreman---
OLAllen MogridgeCHRIS WIESEHANLeft to be DE/TEs at UCF where he coached in 2012
DLBrandon NobleELIJAH ROBINSONLeft for personal reasons, had health issues in the past
LBMike SiravoMike Siravo---
WRTerry M SmithADAM DIMICHELELeft to be DB coach at Penn State (where he remains to this day)

BAYLOR
Position2017 Coach2018 CoachReason for Change
DCPhil SnowPhil Snow---
Co-OC/RBJeff NixonJeff Nixon---
Co-OC/QBGlenn ThomasGlenn Thomas---
DBFrancis Brown (AHC)EVAN COOPERLeft to be Co-DC at Temple
OLGeorge DeleoneSHAWN BELLMoved into off-field consultant role
TEJoey McGuireJoey McGuire---
LBMike SiravoMike Siravo---
DLElijah RobinsonFRANK OKAMLeft to coach DL at Texas A&M (still there)
WRBob BicknellFRISMAN JACKSONLeft to coach WR with Cincinnati Bengals

MY TAKEAWAYS
1) Don't expect him to get rid of Satterfield.
2) There will be some turnover. In this day and age of CFB, it's almost unheard of to go from one season to another without any change amongst a coaching staff.
3) Most of the changes that occurred in Rhule's previous stops appeared to be steps up the ladder for those coaches. A lot of the others appear to also have been "logical" next steps for those coaches (i.e. Deleone "retiring" to an off the field role, Noble leaving for personal reasons). That leaves only Mogridge as someone Rhule "found a nice landing spot for." Long story short, it seems to me that the majority of these moves were not initiated or directed by Rhule himself.
4) He switched OL coaches after year 1 at both his stops. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'...
5) Based on these past results, if I had to make predictions on the most likely staff shake-ups for next year I'd say:
-Donovan Raiola: only holdover from Frost, not a "Rhule" guy, group is not developing well, and regardless of anything he says I can't imagine potentially nabbing Dylan wasn't in the back of Rhule's mind when he retained him
-Terrence Knighton: there have been some rumblings that the NFL may be his preferred land spot, not sure of the veracity of these claims but I hope he sticks because I like what he's done with his guys
-Tony White: the luster has come off of him a bit with our showings against CU and Michigan, but he is a guy with HC aspirations and depending on how the defense performs the rest of the way he could be in line for a G5 gig, also does not have previous allegiances to Rhule

Last edited:

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Get Jr. High Receiver Coach outta here. I think White is safe for atleast 1 more season, think Turd would pay him if need be. I think Satt is safe for atleast another season. It's on Pot Roast for his status, think he'd be in line for a small raise with Dvoracek.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
None of these are informed by anything guess, but I'd say the top 3 most likely turnover candidates are:

1. Foley. He's been put in off field roles before and our special teams ain't exactly lighting the world on fire. I do enjoy his cruising around Nebraska tweets though. This next part is obviously fanfic but there's a better ST coach and recruiter currently within 20 minutes of memorial stadium

2. Uncle Donny. Obviously the next 7 games will mean a lot for Dom's brother, but the line has been somewhere between underwhelming and utter horseshit. His contract is likely up and despite him being universally well liked by the players the position is too important to suck this bad at.

3. Garrett McGuire. Maybe there's a world where he takes his coaching training bra off and walks into a WR room full of talent, but this ain't it bròthér. The room desperately needs to be coached up and it remains to be seen if he can do it. Between that and his dad's connections, I could see him moving on.

Again, this is all just BS guessing. I think Martin is another guy who could be out too

Last edited:

Fargo Husker

Quarterback
Elite Member
Get Jr. High Receiver Coach outta here. I think White is safe for atleast 1 more season, think Turd would pay him if need be. I think Satt is safe for atleast another season. It's on Pot Roast for his status, think he'd be in line for a small raise with Dvoracek.
I’m fine with #RizzyMcGuire sticking around to develop our WR class from last year and coach the croots he’s bringing in for ‘24. We have a pretty solid group coming in.

Fargo Husker

Quarterback
Elite Member
I think Martin is another guy who could be out too
I forgot about Martin. Yeah it wouldn’t surprise me to see Rhule bring in someone else for that room.

Probably fanfic as well, but there’s a part of me that wonders with Wager out if Rhule will make a run at Peetz again. My feeling is that from the beginning is that Rhule wanted Peetz and Satt in Co-OC roles with Peetz coaching QBs and Satt potentially coaching TEs (which he has done in the past). Wager vacating his position opens this back up as a possibility. Likely very slim tho as the reporting I remember was that Peetz liked the work-life balance of the NFL better.

Eloot224

Running Back
Elite Member
Probably agree that Satt is not going anywhere. I’d like to see a Co-OC like at Baylor. Also, Raiola to be sent packing.

Curious if weren’t for Mickey going all Ike Turner if he would have been retained. I preferred the WR recruiting/profile of Mick.

Jury is still out for me personally on Mick Foley. Would have liked to see BB retained.

CornHub

Offensive Lineman
I forgot about Martin. Yeah it wouldn’t surprise me to see Rhule bring in someone else for that room.

Probably fanfic as well, but there’s a part of me that wonders with Wager out if Rhule will make a run at Peetz again. My feeling is that from the beginning is that Rhule wanted Peetz and Satt in Co-OC roles with Peetz coaching QBs and Satt potentially coaching TEs (which he has done in the past). Wager vacating his position opens this back up as a possibility. Likely very slim tho as the reporting I remember was that Peetz liked the work-life balance of the NFL better.
I don't think you can take finding a QB coach and moving Satterfield to TEs out of the equation simply because Peetz might not be on board.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I don't think you can take finding a QB coach and moving Satterfield to TEs out of the equation simply because Peetz might not be on board.
Indeed. I think with Satterfield the question becomes "if he needs help on offense, what good is he?" He's been around the block too many times to not have his shit together

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
I think the receivers coach will make some people eat their words down the road.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
None of these are informed by anything guess, but I'd say the top 3 most likely turnover candidates are:

1. Foley. He's been put in off field roles before and our special teams ain't exactly lighting the world on fire. I do enjoy his cruising around Nebraska tweets though. This next part is obviously fanfic but there's a better ST coach and recruiter currently within 20 minutes of memorial stadium

2. Uncle Donny. Obviously the next 7 games will mean a lot for Dom's brother, but the line has been somewhere between underwhelming and utter horseshit. His contract is likely up and despite him being universally well likes by the players the position is too important to suck this bad at.

3. Garrett McGuire. Maybe there's a world where he takes his coaching training bra off and walks into a WR room full of talent, but this ain't it bròthér. The room desperately needs to be coached up and it remains to be seen if he can do it. Between that and his dad's connections, I could see him moving on.

Again, this is all just BS guessing. I think Martin is another guy who could be out too
Problem with jettisoning Donny and McGuire is they are tied to some of our best recruits. 3 off the top of my head are: Taumua, Barney, and Kewan Lacy. McGuire has had his hand in recruitment of like 5-6 guys IIRC.

If you're Rhule you can't let that change your evaluation.....I'm just putting that out there. McGuire specifically is central to Rhule's TX HS strategy (and he's actually delivering on it).

I don't know how you can really expect McGuire to do much with this pathetic group of WRs anyway. Any replacement is probably going to be a worse HS recruiter in TX too.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Get Jr. High Receiver Coach outta here.
his 2 best WRs were both gone by game one. The remaining best is a midget who runs a 4.8 40. And then a bunch of Wyatt Liewer clones. And Marcus Washington apparently sulked around all fall camp & didn't want to be here.

You're an idiot if you think a magic WR asst coach is going to magically make shit players into Jerry Rice. Oh also we have the worst passing QBs in P5.

Firing a WR position coach with this shit to work with literally makes zero sense. Especially one that had had big wins on the recruiting trail. It's a very dumb thing to do.

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
I don’t get the McGuire hate. His room sucks and all the potential is locked up in the Freshman class.

Lloyd and Coleman are getting snaps, our QBs can’t hit a pass beyond 20 yards with any consistency.

Last edited:

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Problem with jettisoning Donny and McGuire is they are tied to some of our best recruits. 3 off the top of my head are: Taumua, Barney, and Kewan Lacy. McGuire has had his hand in recruitment of like 5-6 guys IIRC.

If you're Rhule you can't let that change your evaluation.....I'm just putting that out there. McGuire specifically is central to Rhule's TX HS strategy (and he's actually delivering on it).

I don't know how you can really expect McGuire to do much with this pathetic group of WRs anyway. Any replacement is probably going to be a worse HS recruiter in TX too.
I expect all coaches to make their position groups better. Obviously the WRs room for example can only go from a D- to like a C- reasonably, but I also think that McGuire has some risk from the leaving to go back to Texas side of the equation too. I think it's way too early to tell on the job he's done but despite our cornholing by Michigan I was actually reasonably encouraged by what the WRs did at times.

I don't necessarily think the list of guys I named need to be shown the door or anything. It's way too early for strong opinions on that, but they're who could move on this offseason I think there are reasons to suspect all of the for one reason or another in this way too early hypothetical to kill time on a Monday evening

nja13

2x All-state FG/PAT holder
Elite Member
What has done to think he is in anyway at risk of being let go?

Most asinine thing I’ve heard?
8f6bdf07-9040-47aa-b828-0c8f365dbbbc_text.gif

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
his 2 best WRs were both gone by game one. The remaining best is a midget who runs a 4.8 40. And then a bunch of Wyatt Liewer clones. And Marcus Washington apparently sulked around all fall camp & didn't want to be here.

You're an idiot if you think a magic WR asst coach is going to magically make shit players into Jerry Rice. Oh also we have the worst passing QBs in P5.

Firing a WR position coach with this shit to work with literally makes zero sense. Especially one that had had big wins on the recruiting trail. It's a very dumb thing to do.
Good points. I am probably forgetting but who are the big ones that he got?

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds