Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

LeBron James (1 Viewer)

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
I
Too much, but being realistic, AD is almost always hurt, Westbrook is worth about a 10 mil contract, not 47 mil a year, and Lebron has only a year or two playing at a level where he can legitimately lead a bling team (which I think he can yet TBH). The Lakers wouldn't do that, but it wouldn't change their situation much either. Possible contenders, with a total rebuild coming soon.

Lakers are going to have to reset/rebuild in a couple of years regardless. KD is younger than LBJ, but no spring chicken himself and also had a major achilles tear (which he came back from very well BTW). Kyrie is so flaky, who knows how much more he will ever play in the NBA. He could just say he's done at any time. So even with KD and Kyrie (who is 29 I think, but can't see him playing a long time given his headcase ways), either way a reset/rebuild will happen sooner than later. Lakers will be in for a lot of down years soon, either way. Their saving grace is that they are the top team in the league super star players want to play for - they have that star destination thing going for them (whether people like it or not, it is true). They don't have to rebuild through the draft to get those all time greats who can win blings (and if you look back in history, nearly EVERY bling has had at least one all time, top 10 ever great, and usually 1 guy of that level and another allstar level guy or two along with a good supporting cast). They have drafted all time greats (West, Magic, Kobe), but also usually build their bling rosters with bigtime players coming other ways.
It doesn't get worse than missing the playoffs in the NBA. They were the 7 seed and out the first round the year before. I just don't know how else they unload Westbrook.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I guess just go another year without making the playoffs and hit the FA market in 23-24. Not the end of the world.
Gotta decide if increasing your odds in one of the last few great LeBron years is worth that 2027 unprotected 1st.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Meh. It's the Lakers. They'll always have an advantage in the free agent market.
Star Trek Ball GIF

tman87

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
I

It doesn't get worse than missing the playoffs in the NBA. They were the 7 seed and out the first round the year before. I just don't know how else they unload Westbrook.

AD got his knee injury, LBJ got a body thrown into his ankle - they would have probably made the finals and were well on the way to gentleman sweeping the Suns in the first round, then AD couldn't hold up (he was still pretty injured).

It is hard to repeat in any sport, very hard in the NBA with many cumulative games on the court with less rest than other teams because they played until late June (I think it was late Sept if not into Oct the bubble year, then the league started up 2 months later so even lest rest) - most teams don't repeat because their legs don't have as much left after a bling year. That year (2 seasons ago) was about injuries and tired legs, otherwise they still had a bing-worthy team. This last season, they traded their best D and role players for Westbrick - a terrible decision.

Missing the playoffs this year was a blessing actually. Again, major injuries, fairly important role players they picked up in Nunn and Ariza (Ariza was too old really, but then got hurt before the season for half the season) got hurt and Vogel was just the wrong coach for the poor fitting pieces they put together. I put most of the problem on the front office for doing a terrible job of putting the team together, then doing a terrible job by keeping Vogel who didn't fit the players they did bring on to the roster. A lost year before it started.

I think Darvin Ham will be a big improvement, and if they are healthy they will be much, much better. But I am not sold that the rest of the roster, or Westbrook, are good enough around a healthy Lebron and AD. We will see.

Huskerzz9457

Offensive Lineman
tPB OG
AD got his knee injury, LBJ got a body thrown into his ankle - they would have probably made the finals and were well on the way to gentleman sweeping the Suns in the first round, then AD couldn't hold up (he was still pretty injured).

It is hard to repeat in any sport, very hard in the NBA with many cumulative games on the court with less rest than other teams because they played until late June (I think it was late Sept if not into Oct the bubble year, then the league started up 2 months later so even lest rest) - most teams don't repeat because their legs don't have as much left after a bling year. That year (2 seasons ago) was about injuries and tired legs, otherwise they still had a bing-worthy team. This last season, they traded their best D and role players for Westbrick - a terrible decision.

Missing the playoffs this year was a blessing actually. Again, major injuries, fairly important role players they picked up in Nunn and Ariza (Ariza was too old really, but then got hurt before the season for half the season) got hurt and Vogel was just the wrong coach for the poor fitting pieces they put together. I put most of the problem on the front office for doing a terrible job of putting the team together, then doing a terrible job by keeping Vogel who didn't fit the players they did bring on to the roster. A lost year before it started.

I think Darvin Ham will be a big improvement, and if they are healthy they will be much, much better. But I am not sold that the rest of the roster, or Westbrook, are good enough around a healthy Lebron and AD. We will see.
Pretty accurate breakdown

I love the Ham hire and actually like these recent FA signings, it'll be interesting to see Nunn healthy assuming he doesn't get traded.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG

That's a whole lot of excuses put into one post.

tman87

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
That's a whole lot of excuses put into one post.

But valid reasons. It was basically the same team minus Mcgee and Howard. They had either the #1 defense in the league, or close to it - without AD and LBJ for good chunks of the season - they still had excellent role players/defenders, most of which had just won a bling a few months before. And tired legs coming off of less than 2 months rest between their last finals game and start of training camp because of the bubble season ending in late sept/early oct (I'd have to look up the actual date of their last finals game that season) definitely played into it, and into more injuries from lack of recovery and tired legs (although the Lebron injury was fluky/unlucky having a guy dive into his legs, AD was just worn down and is brittle as always).

Water under the bridge though - so moving on.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
But valid reasons. It was basically the same team minus Mcgee and Howard. They had either the #1 defense in the league, or close to it - without AD and LBJ for good chunks of the season - they still had excellent role players/defenders, most of which had just won a bling a few months before. And tired legs coming off of less than 2 months rest between their last finals game and start of training camp because of the bubble season ending in late sept/early oct (I'd have to look up the actual date of their last finals game that season) definitely played into it, and into more injuries from lack of recovery and tired legs (although the Lebron injury was fluky/unlucky having a guy dive into his legs, AD was just worn down and is brittle as always).

Water under the bridge though - so moving on.
Bottom line if I'm LA I'm moving Lebron and Westbrook as a package deal this year. Assuming they even have the power to do that. I don't want to sign either of them after the 22-23 season so why not get something for them now?

Lebron is still one of the best players in the NBA but he's breaking down. It isn't going to get any better. If he can go somewhere where he can play 45-50 games and be healthy for the playoffs he's got a chance for another ring. The odds of the Lakers being in the playoffs healthy without Lebron playing 75 games is almost NIL. AD would have to play more than 60 and everyone knows that isn't happening.

If they just have to wait for their contracts to expire then fine. I'm not that invested in the NBA so another year of missing the playoffs or losing 1st round isn't that big of a deal.

I became a Lakers fan when they had Eddie Jones, Nick VanExel, etc. I'd rather watch a fun team that does ok than a boring team that does better. Get some exciting young players that are fun to watch.

betsch

Safety
Bottom line if I'm LA I'm moving Lebron and Westbrook as a package deal this year. Assuming they even have the power to do that. I don't want to sign either of them after the 22-23 season so why not get something for them now?

Lebron is still one of the best players in the NBA but he's breaking down. It isn't going to get any better. If he can go somewhere where he can play 45-50 games and be healthy for the playoffs he's got a chance for another ring. The odds of the Lakers being in the playoffs healthy without Lebron playing 75 games is almost NIL. AD would have to play more than 60 and everyone knows that isn't happening.

If they just have to wait for their contracts to expire then fine. I'm not that invested in the NBA so another year of missing the playoffs or losing 1st round isn't that big of a deal.

I became a Lakers fan when they had Eddie Jones, Nick VanExel, etc. I'd rather watch a fun team that does ok than a boring team that does better. Get some exciting young players that are fun to watch.
Eddie Jones was unstoppable in NBA live 96 (I think it was). He wouldn't miss a shot if the computer was playing him LOL.

Huskerzz9457

Offensive Lineman
tPB OG

You finally mentioned AD in a way, Darvin Ham himself said their success will revolve around AD.

LeBron will play through ankle tweaks if he has to, he didn't last year because the season was toast before the All Star break and he was the only consistent performer.

tman87

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member

Trading Lebron would only happen if he wanted it (asked for it, probably in private but it would get leaked). And to the team he wanted. Lakers would take back a sub-par package since their leverage would be low. I do understand the idea of trading Lebron and Westbrook (and then AD likely gone too) though. Try to salvage as much as possible for their current value (current value for Westbrook is negative at his salary).

I know someone in NBA circles who is very close with Lakers people. This guy gets info before it hits other places. He says Lebron is likely going 1+1 (second year player option) for the remainder of his career no matter where he is playing. He wants power and flexibility. Lakers would like him to sign on for 2 or 3 more years, but that is not likely.

Lebron does want to stay in LA and as a Laker. But if things get bad enough he could bolt. Where his son Bronny ends up could be where he ends his career, but Lebron and Bronny will be able to finesse where he ends up playing in the NBA. Bronny is decent, but likely not a high first round type of guy. Not nearly as big as his father, likely won't be. So a smaller SG in the NBA. But teams will give the red carpet for him in hopes of getting his dad.

I became a Lakers fan when Magic was drafted. Now, I really wasn't old enough to know much or follow the NBA in depth back then, but that is where I started following the team. Even the 90's teams that didn't win much were fun to watch. Nick, Eddie, etc. Of course then Shaq and Kobe cemented everything. I actually enjoy watching the NBA more than any other sport (sans Husker football, but that has sucked ass for so many years running it isn't any "fun" being a Husker). The Lakers had some terrible years post Kobe achilles tear, but Lebron had been lining up going to LAL for a couple years before he joined, something I was aware of. He has lifted the franchise a ton, and they want to ride that wave as long as possible. They really fucked up in bleeding away at the margins of their future draft picks and not signing beneficial contracts for young players with value (THT is an example - 2 year contract at 10 mil a year, should have locked him up for 4 years as now teams that want him are willing to wait until he hits free agency next summer). Lakers front office is terrible, and that also has Lebron thinking about greener pastures.

But for now, they have Lebron, AD and Westbrook (who may be moved yet for Kyrie or if not Kyrie, several other decent players). They have a foundation and hope they can right the ship, and a hope their new head coach makes a big difference. They don't want to give Klutch (Rich Paul, Lebrons business partner, owns Klutch) too much power and this is pissing off both Klutch and Lebron, so that relationship is strained. Which is why they think Lebron is probably gone in a year or two, and why they don't want to give up more than 1 future 1st round draft pick to get out of Westbrook. They'd rather take their chances that Ham can make it work with what they have, or a good enough deal appears for Westbrook to improve to contender status. I think the chances it works out where they are contenders is not looking good right now though. Lots of time left before the season, so Westbrook could yet be moved and there could be more roster additions, albeit lower level addtiions like a Markeiff Morris type of guy (he was pretty good in the bubble bling season for them). As with the Huskers, we will just have to wait to see how what looks like a sinking ship situations plays out.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds