Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

June Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some kids freeze up running clocked sprints at camps, etc. It happens. Personally, I was clocked at some (at the time) best summer camp times by NU coaching staff at summer camps. Even though I was a late bloomer size wise physically, I had elite quicks. Those camp clocked times caught their attention, even several decades ago. But I have had instances where I ran a clocked much slower time than usual, because I froze up (there were other variables, but mostly it was nerves). Thankfully, this didn't happen at a time or place where it hurt me for my career really. But it still happened a few times.

"Feel" for the game, or instincts, is very important. Very. A player still has to have good enough athleticism to go with it of course. There is an entire package coaches need to consider. A great sprinter does not necessarily make a great football player. And there are also other important variables, like lateral quickness, etc.

I do like that Rhule and staff identify players with great measureables. Those things matter. I also trust that the staff is not just looking at track times (per se) to evaluate players.

Latest Wiltfong article -

We’re looking at Overland Park (Kan.) Blue Valley On300 linebacker Dawson Merritt. The Crimson Tide have led since the spring for Merritt, but Nebraska has stayed alive in that recruitment and gave the blue-chipper pause a couple times. Sounds like Alabama has steadied those waters.

The On3 Industry tabs Merritt as the No. 87 prospect in the country. He ranks as the No. 7 linebacker in the land per the On3 Player Rankings. I think the scheme fit at Alabama is one of the things that stands out most to Merritt and continues to give them the edge.

BamaOnLine has more on Merritt here.

Merritt isn’t the only coveted player Alabama has momentum for.

F

Latest Wiltfong article -

We’re looking at Overland Park (Kan.) Blue Valley On300 linebacker Dawson Merritt. The Crimson Tide have led since the spring for Merritt, but Nebraska has stayed alive in that recruitment and gave the blue-chipper pause a couple times. Sounds like Alabama has steadied those waters.

The Tater Island Industry tabs Merritt as the No. 87 prospect in the country. He ranks as the No. 7 linebacker in the land per the Tater Island Player Rankings. I think the scheme fit at Alabama is one of the things that stands out most to Merritt and continues to give them the edge.

BamaOnLine has more on Merritt here.

Merritt isn’t the only coveted player Alabama has momentum for.

F
Peace Out Fml GIF by Travis

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Frost and staff essentially tell Xavier that they didn't see him as a wide receiver but that they wanted him as a safety?

You can't give credit to Notre Dame because they "evaluated his skill set and figured out he wasn't a WR, but instead an elite strong safety." after they recruited him as a wide receiver. Now, an argument could definitely be made that sometimes you have to tell a kid what he wants to hear, and sometimes that may be "sure, we will give you a chance at receiver." But I don't think Notre Dame had any sort of better evaluation of him.

All of that brings us to Dawson Merritt. The 2025 recruit with a fascinating process that's led him to Alabama and Nebraska. And a whole lot of conjecture.

So what is the latest and what do we know? Let's examine:

— Merritt has been pretty tight lipped to everyone. The linebacker let 247Sports know he's close to a decision, but decided against doing a show or a live announcement. There's no exact date, but it's possible something could happen next week. Earlier is possible too, but seems less likely.

— Reaching out seems to indicate Merritt knows what he wants to do. But similar to other recruits who have been close between decisions, it's never particularly easy to just pick one when you've created your own artificial deadline.

— Also worth adding Merritt doesn't want to go back on a decision. The linebacker has said several times that when he commits he wants to be done with all of the process.

— After checking with my colleague at the Alabama site I think it's fair to say both coaching staffs, as recent as the weekend, felt good about where they sat with Merritt.

— Nebraska commits have been in touch — though I don't think peer recruiting is a big needle mover for Merritt.

— Nebraska has multiple linebacker targets including both Christian Jones (visited last weekend) and Will Hawthorne (visiting this weekend). They're certainly not in a "Merritt or bust" scenario. That said he's clearly become a top target in the class.

— My prediction? Still haven't heard enough to say Alabama is on top. Though that's certainly where the arrow seems to be pointing for some. I'm cautiously optimistic that Matt Rhule, Rob Dvoracek and Tony White pull it off — but I wouldn't take that to the bank either.

but then just now follows up:
Mike Schaefer avatar
Mike SchaeferSTAFF
Posted on 3 mins, V I P, User Since 159 months ago, User Post Count: 53650
  • 3 minsVIP
  • 159 months
Got my first Network indication that this seems to be steering away from Nebraska.

Nothing a done deal and recruiting is recruiting but barring a late change I believe the Huskers are finishing second now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back