Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Herbie’s Hangout Johnson and NPG Tweets (1 Viewer)

lee_carvallo_12

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Sad Cry GIF by MOODMAN

ShortSideOption

Linebacker
Insider
Not paying guys promised NIL deals when they suck is good business IMO. Gets them of the roster. If Nebraska isn't paying Palmer or Thompson, I'll worry about it. Idgaf about paying dudes who cant beat out Johnny Walkon for 2nd string punt return team.
I mean i'd agree unless you get a reputation doing that. What if we wouldn't have been able to get Palmer or Thompson if this article came out a year earlier? I think that's the biggest issue.

ABM and Gerrod weren't smart enough to say "you get 100k if you end up starting", they said "sign with us and we will give you 100k" and didn't have any requirements.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
The fact that NPG and Johnson stayed here so long when it was clear they weren't doing fuck all on the field is incredibly damning.

They clearly (a) realized they sucked and (b) held on for dear life to their NU lifeline in hopes that their magical payments would be coming in. They each had to know early on that they weren't gonna amount to jack shit here. Most players get the hell out of dodge when that happens but they just sat here doing nothing. I have way more respect for the guys who transfer out of here so they can play. NPG and TJ knew they weren't gonna play but were happy to give up on their careers in the hope they cash a few checks on our boosters' dime. Pretty cynical fuckin attitude.

Not to sound old and cranky (too late) but this type of player should not be earning ANYTHING from any school. NIL needs to market correct to fix this.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
The fact that NPG and Johnson stayed here so long when it was clear they weren't doing fuck all on the field is incredibly damning.

They clearly (a) realized they sucked and (b) held on for dear life to their NU lifeline in hopes that their magical payments would be coming in. They each had to know early on that they weren't gonna amount to jack shit here. Most players get the hell out of dodge when that happens but they just sat here doing nothing. I have way more respect for the guys who transfer out of here so they can play. NPG and TJ knew they weren't gonna play but were happy to give up on their careers in the hope they cash a few checks on our boosters' dime. Pretty cynical fuckin attitude.

Not to sound old and cranky (too late) but this type of player should not be earning ANYTHING from any school. NIL needs to market correct to fix this.
The first year of NIL was basically the NBA cap spike year where Durant went to Golden State. Teams had a ton of new money and they spent the new money as if it was never going to have to make sense in the future. But the bill always comes due.

Hopefully Johnson will serve as a cautionary tale for any NIL outfit that Nebraska has now or will have in the future. Don't fucking pay scrubs or even allude to paying scrubs money. In fact, don't pay anyone who you aren't >80% certain will be a contributor that season.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
The first year of NIL was basically the NBA cap spike year where Durant went to Golden State. Teams had a ton of new money and they spent the new money as if it was never going to have to make sense in the future. But the bill always comes due.

Hopefully Johnson will serve as a cautionary tale for any NIL outfit that Nebraska has now or will have in the future. Don't fucking pay scrubs or even allude to paying scrubs money. In fact, don't pay anyone who you aren't >80% certain will be a contributor that season.
Yessir.

The funny one is Tyreke. I'm surr anyone NU talked with at OSU would have said "hey, fair warning, this guy fuckin SUCKS"... so we had to know. Then you get Gerrod out there trotting out $$$ cash money promises to a guy I guarantee we knew was probably gonna suck here.

Let's be honest, we all love the yr 3-4 surprise development guys... but the vast majority of CFB players, you know if they'll amount to fuck all in their first 12 months in a program. Especially if they're skill position guys (RB-WR-DB). O-line or D-line can surprise you later on sometimes... but w skill guys you pretty much know.

Milo-of-Croton

Cornerback
Elite Member
Good article and good comments. Why does it not surprise me it was never considered that players offered could be a bust? If it had been considered, then players you are uncertain about - who have never proven they can even play - would not have been offered exorbitant sums to sign. That is ignorance. Hopefully they learn from this.

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I mean i'd agree unless you get a reputation doing that. What if we wouldn't have been able to get Palmer or Thompson if this article came out a year earlier? I think that's the biggest issue.

ABM and Gerrod weren't smart enough to say "you get 100k if you end up starting", they said "sign with us and we will give you 100k" and didn't have any requirements.
Great piece. I'd love to rub $Dean's smug face in that ABM BS as his promoting & defending of ABM exacerbated the problem even more. His Sheople couldn't drink his Top 5 NIL Kool Aid fast enough

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
And dig in deeper with basketball and what Hoiberg had to deal with NIL. I know the Peeds are one of, if not our biggest booster but it would be nice to have a collective that was well run plus trusted by boosters and businesses.

If a subscription service was set up where you could donate $5, $10, $25....... a month then I guarantee a large number of fans would donate. Not every Husker Fan can afford to make large donations but our NIL hasn't even considered the common fans with checkbooks. Sell Merch like signed jerseys & helmets.

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Yessir.

The funny one is Tyreke. I'm surr anyone NU talked with at OSU would have said "hey, fair warning, this guy fuckin SUCKS"... so we had to know. Then you get Gerrod out there trotting out $$$ cash money promises to a guy I guarantee we knew was probably gonna suck here.

Let's be honest, we all love the yr 3-4 surprise development guys... but the vast majority of CFB players, you know if they'll amount to fuck all in their first 12 months in a program. Especially if they're skill position guys (RB-WR-DB). O-line or D-line can surprise you later on sometimes... but w skill guys you pretty much know.
if anything, Tyreke was the quintessential Frost recruit. he was once a 5-star recruit and they touted that as proof they were building a talented team.

in reality he'd already proven that rating was a joke when he couldn't hack it at tOSU. but since he'd been a 5-star Frost and crew could pat each other on the back and say they were all doing a great job. it's just like the 4-star recruits they took to pad the recruiting ranking who other schools backed off of

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
if anything, Tyreke was the quintessential Frost recruit. he was once a 5-star recruit and they touted that as proof they were building a talented team.

in reality he'd already proven that rating was a joke when he couldn't hack it at tOSU. but since he'd been a 5-star Frost and crew could pat each other on the back and say they were all doing a great job. it's just like the 4-star recruits they took to pad the recruiting ranking who other schools backed off of
Bingo.

One of the biggest early takeaways from the portal era is: if a guy is moving from a UGA/BAMA/OSU to a 4-8 program, that guy probably sucks. We have a fantasy that a 3rd stringer at UGA/BAMA/OSU would dominate at a Purdue or Nebraska if they only got a fair shot....but that hasn't shown to be the case.

I'm hoping this is wrong with Arik Gilbert and MJ Sherman however. Trey Palmer was kind of an exception but not really... he only transferred to follow his coach (and he benefitted from an OC who was in YOLO fly route mode all year).

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Bingo.

One of the biggest early takeaways from the portal era is: if a guy is moving from a UGA/BAMA/OSU to a 4-8 program, that guy probably sucks. We have a fantasy that a 3rd stringer at UGA/BAMA/OSU would dominate at a Purdue or Nebraska if they only got a fair shot....but that hasn't shown to be the case.

I'm hoping this is wrong with Arik Gilbert and MJ Sherman however. Trey Palmer was kind of an exception but not really... he only transferred to follow his coach (and he benefitted from an OC who was in YOLO fly route mode all year).
Gilbert at least has the LSU season as proof he's a legit talent. it's just a matter of whether they can handle him mentally. 4 schools in 4 years makes that a tall order

BBTown Bomber

In Memoriam 1952-2023
tPB OG

Trust me……..nothing wrong with “old and cranky”. I’ve created a cottage industry using that approach.

Oh, wait…….I mean I had some cottage cheese for lunch today. Joined @Jim14510 at that little deli on north 90th. Sorry……..🤷

Last edited:

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds