Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

It's Official - CU @ NU is Primetime on NBC

Why do people like that even go to games?
We have to take donor measures to get all the tickets sold already due to stadium over-expansion & the nut-kicking product we've put on the field the last several years - what are they going to do, put the tickets up for sale on the non-existent secondary market? It's probably literally going to be an empty seat if they don't go.

Winning some games (& not consistently having the losses be by choke jobs) will fix the atmosphere issues.

Excellent points.

PBA is an interesting comparison because PBA has a lot of grandparent-age STHs (they're the only ones that want to drive down from Omaha for a 7pm TUES night game). Women's VB is another interesting comparison bc their fanbase is EXTREMELY old but they have great crowds, relative to other VB teams.

Maybe it really just is FB fans tired of having their heart ripped out in every big game for 23 yrs. Bc our old people are loud for MBB and VB.

But I also think FB has more 75 yr olds who keep renewing STHs because they feel "obligated" since the seats have been in their family since the 1940s.
Like another post has said in bringing up Memorial's over-expansion - PBA, and basketball games in general, are a much, much more intimate atmosphere compared to Memorial. It is easier as a fan to think you are making an 'impact' at those games.

FWIW, I am not an elder and make those drives down from Omaha

Winning some games (& not consistently having the losses be by choke jobs) will fix the atmosphere issues.
Yeah I tend to agree with this. The Bo years had much more lively atmospheres most of the time, for example. But as always, the problem with having so many losing seasons in a row is that the younger generation doesn't give a shit in the same way and many people who DO give a shit are either old or priced out.

When I was a student during the aforementioned Bo years, we were the kids who grew up with the 90s-early 00s teams. We, along with the rest of the crowd, were ravenous to be "BACK" after a few years of embarrassment. Kids in the student section now were elementary schoolers at that point, the best Husker seasons in their memories, and they weren't even THAT good! It's why I'm always kinda skeptical when I see the student section and there are some students who look and act like crazy Husker fans - wtf are they attached to? God bless em, we need em, but there's no way they invested any real emotion into a team that has been an unending embarrassment since they were 8. Nor should they have.

So anyway, yes winning will help, but we should also keep in mind how much of the crowd nowadays is the same old people who are now even older than they were last time we were decent, and students who haven't had a chance to develop any passion for the team since before they hit puberty.

As a 35 year old starting a family of my own I wish more people my age had a chance to get a foothold in the season ticket world (and more of the atmosphere was catered to our generation and younger) but it's just not feasible until the 70+ crowd starts going to the great endzone in the sky, or they change the way season tickets are sold and distributed.

During the 63-10 beat down at Ohio state in 2016 I ended up with tickets in the Nebraska players family section, which was right in front of tOSU student section. A student had a portable PA system that he was leading the entire student section in chants, which I thought was pretty fucking awesome. I mainly remember the whole second half in the beat down they were doing the O-H / I - O chant over and over. Eventually they moved on to trying to get people in the stadium to do it. The whole student section in unison based off the PA guys instructions would say “hey Mike Riley O-H” they’d repeat it over and over moving on before moving on to hey Nebraska cheerleaders o-h. Hey Nebraska fans o-h, Hey urban meyer o-h. Hey Kirk herbstreet o-h. Both urban and herby eventually responded by doing the I-O hand symbol and the place went nuts. A Nebraska players father eventually went up to the PA system guy and he let the father do a chant and he got the whole student section to do the gooooo big red chant

Anyway, if anyone knows a student at UNL, get them to copy this.

Our stadium is fine and gets plenty loud. The energy of the crowd feeds off the team. Crowd is dead when we are down by 10 and just fumbled again. It's human nature. As we start winning again the crowd will be into it and loud. As with most things in sports winning cures all.
It’s day of the living dead in there. Will never change

Yeah I tend to agree with this. The Bo years had much more lively atmospheres most of the time, for example. But as always, the problem with having so many losing seasons in a row is that the younger generation doesn't give a shit in the same way and many people who DO give a shit are either old or priced out.

When I was a student during the aforementioned Bo years, we were the kids who grew up with the 90s-early 00s teams. We, along with the rest of the crowd, were ravenous to be "BACK" after a few years of embarrassment. Kids in the student section now were elementary schoolers at that point, the best Husker seasons in their memories, and they weren't even THAT good! It's why I'm always kinda skeptical when I see the student section and there are some students who look and act like crazy Husker fans - wtf are they attached to? God bless em, we need em, but there's no way they invested any real emotion into a team that has been an unending embarrassment since they were 8. Nor should they have.

So anyway, yes winning will help, but we should also keep in mind how much of the crowd nowadays is the same old people who are now even older than they were last time we were decent, and students who haven't had a chance to develop any passion for the team since before they hit puberty.

As a 35 year old starting a family of my own I wish more people my age had a chance to get a foothold in the season ticket world (and more of the atmosphere was catered to our generation and younger) but it's just not feasible until the 70+ crowd starts going to the great endzone in the sky, or they change the way season tickets are sold and distributed.
The key to the next level crowd noise IMO is the feeling of knowing your team has a chance in big games (opponents ranked #1-15 specifically). Which we haven't had for a LOOOONNG time.

If you put yourself out there emotionally to think your team might beat the #7 team in the country, you gotta get rewarded at least every once in a while. Sans the MSU game in 2015 we've pretty much lost every single one of these games going all the way back to the Solich era. Pelini didn't win any of these games (#1-15 at home). Callahan didn't. Frost didn't. Riley had the one. Rhule hasn't yet.

Beating Colorado will be a good start to repairing this, even though they won't be ranked that high.

Our stadium is fine and gets plenty loud. The energy of the crowd feeds off the team. Crowd is dead when we are down by 10 and just fumbled again. It's human nature. As we start winning again the crowd will be into it and loud. As with most things in sports winning cures all.

This is the truth. When it's a big environment and the team is playing well, the crowd responds. The Michigan game that we lost at night with Frost was loud and rowdy and that's after all of the disappointment that Frost had given us. I guarantee you that we start winning games, the crowd will be rowdy and hostile in big games and against big opponents. Our fans got spoiled for a long, long time, in that we won most of our games and outside of Oklahoma in the 80's and Colorado/K-State in the 90's, there wasn't a real need to get loud and rowdy because the games were out of hand. Then we went through the period of shitting the bed for quite a few years and so there wasn't anything to get up for.

The key to the next level crowd noise IMO is the feeling of knowing your team has a chance in big games (opponents ranked #1-15 specifically). Which we haven't had for a LOOOONNG time.

If you put yourself out there emotionally to think your team might beat the #7 team in the country, you gotta get rewarded at least every once in a while. Sans the MSU game in 2015 we've pretty much lost every single one of these games going all the way back to the Solich era. Pelini didn't win any of these games (#1-15 at home). Callahan didn't. Frost didn't. Riley had the one. Rhule hasn't yet.

Beating Colorado will be a good start to repairing this, even though they won't be ranked that high.

This is the truth. When it's a big environment and the team is playing well, the crowd responds. The Michigan game that we lost at night with Frost was loud and rowdy and that's after all of the disappointment that Frost had given us. I guarantee you that we start winning games, the crowd will be rowdy and hostile in big games and against big opponents. Our fans got spoiled for a long, long time, in that we won most of our games and outside of Oklahoma in the 80's and Colorado/K-State in the 90's, there wasn't a real need to get loud and rowdy because the games were out of hand. Then we went through the period of shitting the bed for quite a few years and so there wasn't anything to get up for.

I think that Michigan game was the last time any fans thought Nebraska might have a viable future. The team had just come off that beat down of Northwestern and they had a chance to go 5-2 with a top 5 win.

It was the pinnacle of Frost's Coaching career at Nebraska.

We can blame the shitty football team all we want which is definitely part of the problem.

But I remember going to games with my dad in the 90s sitting about 20 rows up in west stadium and him bitching up a storm about the blue hairs on their headphones who spend all game farting on their hands instead of making any noise. We definitely have too many olds in the stands too

Pelini won at least one of them, when we beat the brakes off of Missouri when they were #7 and Helu ran for 2,376 yards on six carries.

Last edited:
IMO I think the university requiring a donation to buy tickets is why we have so many old people. Old people have a lot more time and money than someone like me starting a family and then eventually having games and other activities to go to. Could I afford tickets, yeah but I'm not going to pay the donation and then only go to half the games and not be able to sell my tickets for enough to cover some of the donation too. Just my two cents.

We can blame the shitty football team all we want which is definitely part of the problem.

But I remember going to games with my dad in the 90s sitting about 20 rows up in west stadium and him bitching up a storm about the blue hairs on their headphones who spend all game farting on their hands instead of making any noise. We definitely have too many olds in the stands too

Yeah, as opposed to our rowdy student section, who's more infatuated with scrolling through Insta or Tik-Tok than paying attention to what's going on in the game... Prior to getting my current season tickets, I had them with my friends in the last row of the South Stadium and so we'd always just sit in the Student Section. It was eye opening to so how disinterested most of them were about the game compared to when I was a student there after transferring from Kansas in the 90's.

You aren’t wrong

As long as we win this year. Been a LONG time comin'. Time to exorcise those demons.

The 92 game is one that will never be forgotten for me.... can remember most things that happened in that game, down to the particulars of many plays (and for good reasons), and what happened on the field during all of it. Was an epic beatdown we gave them. Just epic. That beatdown in that cold and shitty weather, is one of my most cherised memories. Some things are not replaceable in life - THAT game is one of those.
I was flying into ATL teaching a sales training class that started Sunday evening, and was "urging" the shuttle bus driver (a good ol' boy named Charlie from Fayetteville, GA) to get us to the Aberdeen Woods Conference Center in Peachtree City, GA STAT so I could catch the rest of the game.

We arrived, I snagged my room key and skedaddled to my room, flicked on my tv, found the game and the first thing I saw was ... my best friend, soaking wet, screaming into the TV cameras as they prepared to cut away for a commercial. One of the most surreal things I've ever experienced. I just sat down on the bed, dropped my bags and said out loud, "WTF did I just see?"

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back