Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of Mickey (2 Viewers)

Tsakoi

Running Back
Elite Member
(I'll start off by saying that I highly doubt this would happen)

If, and it is a big if, he can make this team look different in the next couple of weeks and pulls off a few wins there might be something there.

Positives:

1: I think he has the character and leadership that Turd was talking about.

2: He knows Nebraska but not in a "Nebraska is the only thing he knows" sort of way.

3: He is a relationship coach at the same time as being no nonsense.

4: Young and energetic.

5: We will find out in the next few weeks but I think the players like and respect him. He might already own the locker room.

6: No doubt that we would recruit better. Omaha recruiting would be fixed overnight. And as far as the current roster, I have a feeling we would retain the right ones and jettison the dead weight.

7: Maybe we retain Whipple and he can lean on Whipple's years of experience as guidance. Whipple has been a HC and could offer a lot in terms of mentorship.

8: What about the defense? His brother and AD are NFL defense dudes. They surely know tons of names he could look at to hire and would help him with those staff decisions

9: He wants to prove himself. I think this is key. Scott had just won COtY and probably thought he was the bees knees. Mickey strikes me as a guy who really wants to make a name for himself and is the opposite of a guy who thinks he's already made it.

Maybe I'm just crazy. Maybe I'm just high on hope. Maybe this is way too easy of a solution and I'm tricking myself. But something about all of this makes some (a little at least) sense.

Tyneb23

POTD Editor of tPB. Master interviewer
Titty Master
tPB OG
Mickey could absolutely be the right guy. He needs to recruit dudes here. You get the dudes and winning follows. Winning cures all

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
Mickey should be around 4-6 pick if the others don't go with Nebraska and depending on how MJ handles the conditions he's put in.

I've seen people say you need someone with coordinator experience to be HC. That's BS. A good HC can work with coordinators better than they can be one.

Mavsker

Big Ten referee
tPB OG
(I'll start off by saying that I highly doubt this would happen)

If, and it is a big if, he can make this team look different in the next couple of weeks and pulls off a few wins there might be something there.

Positives:

1: I think he has the character and leadership that Turd was talking about.

2: He knows Nebraska but not in a "Nebraska is the only thing he knows" sort of way.

3: He is a relationship coach at the same time as being no nonsense.

4: Young and energetic.

5: We will find out in the next few weeks but I think the players like and respect him. He might already own the locker room.

6: No doubt that we would recruit better. Omaha recruiting would be fixed overnight. And as far as the current roster, I have a feeling we would retain the right ones and jettison the dead weight.

7: Maybe we retain Whipple and he can lean on Whipple's years of experience as guidance. Whipple has been a HC and could offer a lot in terms of mentorship.

8: What about the defense? His brother and AD are NFL defense dudes. They surely know tons of names he could look at to hire and would help him with those staff decisions

9: He wants to prove himself. I think this is key. Scott had just won COtY and probably thought he was the bees knees. Mickey strikes me as a guy who really wants to make a name for himself and is the opposite of a guy who thinks he's already made it.

Maybe I'm just crazy. Maybe I'm just high on hope. Maybe this is way too easy of a solution and I'm tricking myself. But something about all of this makes some (a little at least) sense.
I'm cautiously optimistic too but nearly all of these are either true of most coaches or don't matter.

#1. True of most coaches.
#2. Muh Nebraska ties
#3. True of most coaches
#4. Irrelevant to being a good coach
#5. I remember a couple of my Notre Dame fan buddies showing me a video of the locker room after the players learned that Marcus Freeman had been hired. It was obvious the players liked and respected him. They just lost to Marshall and are still waiting on their first win.
#6. Important but with NIL recruiting doesn't matter as much. You can be the best recruiter in the world and most kids will still go to the highest bidder regardless.
#7. Good point but only if Mickey keeps him on.
#8. Any coach worth his salt has several contacts who know defense. Are we excited about the fact that a couple contacts fell into his lap? He very likely has other/better contacts he would reach out to regarding defense, or at least, I hope he does. Also some people are calling for Mickey as HC and his brother as DC (or some combination of the two) which is absurd. They should go ask Cockeye about their experiences with nepotism.
#9. True of most coaches and almost certainly true of Scott as well.

You do seem to be crazy/high on hope and/or tricking yourself. At least watch him coach a game first lol

Last edited:

Tsakoi

Running Back
Elite Member
You do seem to be crazy/high on hope and/or tricking yourself.
Wouldn't be something new for me. I was absolutely thrilled with the idea of Scott Frost becoming our coach a few years ago and didn't really see how it couldn't work. I was wrong, so so wrong.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Mickey ain't all that young. I'll warm up to the idea of Mickey when he wins some damn games. If he takes the team as currently constructed and rattles off a 6-3+ finish, I think it's a conversation worth having. If he doesn't, I hope he stays N as an assistant, but wish him the absolute best of luck if he capitalizes on the interim title and gets a head coach gig somewhere

cwessel76

Run The Damn Ball
Elite Member
tPB OG
Wouldn't be something new for me. I was absolutely thrilled with the idea of Scott Frost becoming our coach a few years ago and didn't really see how it couldn't work. I was wrong, so so wrong.
I drank the Kool Aid too.

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Which coaches that are being thrown around are better than Bo Pelini?

If the answer is none then I’m cool wandering the desert with MJ.

cwessel76

Run The Damn Ball
Elite Member
tPB OG
I don't think anyone needs to feel bad about it for the first few years. The hire was nationally lauded as a no brainer
Which means we have some sort of voodoo hex on us.

Honestly it was the midway point of last year where I gave up. I started this year with the same sunshine BS that I usually have but that faded Q3 of the NW game.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
Which coaches that are being thrown around are better than Bo Panini?

If the answer is none then I’m cool wandering the desert with MJ.
I'm not sure if I have 40 years left in me to wander along side ya, brother. Is there another option?

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I think it's easy to get caught up in thinking Mickey Joseph could be the right guy. The convince yourself you just have to look at Clemson and Dabo Swinney. Clemson was the butt of jokes "Clemson'ing", Nebraska is the butt of jokes.
Dabo was the WR coach and the interim head coach.
Dabo's forte is recruiting.
Dabo also stepped into a situation where the fanbase was ready to really show support i.e. facilities, paying players etc etc

All of those are pretty much mirror to Mickey...Mickey has more experience than Dabo did actually. But Dabo is also the exception and not the rule. I'll be interested to see how Mickey does.

kchusker1423

Linebacker
Elite Member
Mickey should be around 4-6 pick if the others don't go with Nebraska and depending on how MJ handles the conditions he's put in.

I've seen people say you need someone with coordinator experience to be HC. That's BS. A good HC can work with coordinators better than they can be one.
See Ed Orgeron...

BluesBucksNHuskers

Running Back
Elite Member
The advantage Mickey has is he gets to try out for the role with the whole state cheering him on.

The advantage for Nebraska is we get to see how it would go with Mickey before we have to decide if we want him.

The only right answer on Mickey is “Let’s see if he can win some fucking games”

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
The advantage Mickey has is he gets to try out for the role with the whole state cheering him on.

The advantage for Nebraska is we get to see how it would go with Mickey before we have to decide if we want him.

The only right answer on Mickey is “Let’s see if he can win some fucking games”
Exactly! He gets an actual audition. We will know if he's legit or not after the next 9 games. Personally I think it would be incredible if he pulls off a miracle run haha.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds