Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

4th quarter of the MSU game starting at 8:55 left. (1 Viewer)

hothouse_corn

Wide Receiver
At 8:55 left in the game with NEB down by 10 points, there was no urgency to get the ball snapped. TV people were talking about making sure to get the call right, but at that point I was thinking it was more important to be urgent.

When I started this post, I was going to include timestamps and receipts. I'm out of steam for the day, so I'll skip to the point.

I think NEB should have been much quicker to get the ball snapped after the 8:55 minute mark in the 4th quarter. I think NEB should have called timeouts earlier to save time. So, there was a mis-management of the clock on NEB side.

That said, the officiating at the end of the game seemed off to me, particularly on NEB's last time on offense starting with 0:43 left on the clock at the 27 yard line. The first play of that series was clearly a 10-11 yard reception for first down which should have stopped the clock to move the sticks. The third play was clearly a forward pass that should have stopped the clock rather than a fumble ruling and 18 yard loss.

I don't think there was a high likelihood of NEB moving down the field to either tie or win, but I do think the officiating was really bad at the end of the game.

Thoughts?

hothouse_corn

Wide Receiver
Everybody keeps saying that but looked to me like the defender knocked it out of his hand before he threw it.

Everybody keeps saying that because it is true.

Section 19. Article 2.C of the NCAA rulebook on passes:

"When in question, the ball is passed and not fumbled during an attempted forward pass."

An attempted forward pass begins when the forward motion of the thrower's arm begins.

Here's the full S19.AC of the rule book:

ARTICLE 2.
  1. A pass is forward if the ball first strikes the ground, a player, an official or anything else beyond the spot where the ball is released. All other passes are backward passes. When in question a pass thrown in or behind the neutral zone is forward rather than a backward pass.(Exception: Games using Instant Replay)
  2. When a Team A player is holding the ball to pass it forward toward the neutral zone, any intentional forward movement of his hand or arm with the ball firmly in his control starts the forward pass. If a Team B player contacts the passer or ball after forward movement begins and the ball leaves the passer’s hand, a forward pass is ruled regardless of where the ball strikes the ground or a player (A.R. 2-19-2-I).
  3. When in question, the ball is passed and not fumbled during an attempted forward pass. (Exception: Games using Instant Replay)
  4. A snap becomes a backward pass when the snapper releases the ball (A.R. 2-23-1-I).

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Everybody keeps saying that because it is true.

Section 19. Article 2.C of the NCAA rulebook on passes:

"When in question, the ball is passed and not fumbled during an attempted forward pass."

An attempted forward pass begins when the forward motion of the thrower's arm begins.

Here's the full S19.AC of the rule book:
Was just odd because the guy pulled the ball from his hand. It left his hand going backward. If he had hit his arm it would have been more obvious.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds