Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

If Nebraska becomes Utah, would you be satisfied? (1 Viewer)

Is Utah a standard we should strive for?

• Yes

Votes: 22 45.8%
  • No

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Fuck Cockeye

Votes: 23 47.9%

• Total voters

GBR305

Linebacker
Pros
- Offense built on a power run game to open up the passing game
- One of the best offensive lines in the country year in, year out
- Tough, hard nosed defense full of playmakers
- A high number of NFL prospects, being known as an "NFL factory." 5+ draft picks every year.

Cons
- While usually competing for conference titles every season, never taken seriously as a national title contender
- Because of our location, it will be harder to truly ever recruit on the level of a Georgia/Alabama/Ohio State/USC
- Get embarrassed whenever we play against a national elite (think Bo in every big game ever)

Would you guys be OK with this?

cwessel76

Run The Damn Ball
Elite Member
tPB OG
No Way Meme GIF

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
The pushback, OP, is probably because even after Utah's success they have basically had zero presence in the national discussion. They play late games that no one sees. Never talked about on the ESPN or FOX game day shows.

They're almost invisible, despite all their success. And Husker fans don't like being invisible.

**Hell, you could argue Nebraska has maintained a higher profile than Utah these last 5 years and NU has sucked rhino cock

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
To put it bluntly, absolutely. To me, to an extent, that describes 2001. But, we would never be out of the spotlight.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
the same Utah that just won the Pac-12 2 years in a row? sign me up

there's no reason we can't aim for a similar model with better recruiting
I think 99% of people would sign up for Utah's winning % over the last 5 years. Nebraska doing that same winning % but in the B1G would be a 'take' for me.

Also Utah has won their conference 2 years in a row - so apply that to Nebraska and that would mean we win the B1G (division and conference championship game) two years in a row.

Not sure how anyone could say no to the winning % and the 2 B1G titles

GBR305

Linebacker
Our location is perfect. Right in the middle of the country.
I vehemently disagree. It's 2023 and recruits are still saying they thought we were in the middle of a cornfield. Lincoln Airport barely has any destinations & Eppley is an hour away from Lincoln. The closest metro areas that pump out football players (KC and STL) we don't have much luck recruiting.

CornHub

Offensive Lineman
If you compare them directly to Utah, no. Nebraska can and has recruited much better than Utah.

doublewing

Running Back
The response from the folks not satisfied with NU reaching Utah level would be "the price tag we're paying is for national titles, not conference championships."

If Rhule gets us to Utah level and we are that consistent but not a national title contender, would fans want to chance the coaching carousel again? I wouldn't and highly doubt others would.

I'd always want us to achieve at the highest level but wouldn't fire a 10 win coach to gamble that we'd get there. We know how these things work out even with the "slam dunk" candidate.

CornHub

Offensive Lineman
I vehemently disagree. It's 2023 and recruits are still saying they thought we were in the middle of a cornfield. Lincoln Airport barely has any destinations & Eppley is an hour away from Lincoln. The closest metro areas that pump out football players (KC and STL) we don't have much luck recruiting.
Nebraska still recruits much better than Utah year in and year out.

Stan Raymond

Cornerback
An hour from campus to airport is less than whole lot of schools. I do not see that as an issue.

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
the Omaha airport being 1 hour away is not a big deal. in a larger metro it's pretty common to be that far from the airport

BluesBucksNHuskers

Running Back
Elite Member
Honestly if you just put Nebraska Jerseys on the Utah Football team the last decade we would have been in the national discussion a few times in a weak Big10 west.

So if your question is if I’d be happy with that level of football. Absolutely
2014 - 9-4
2015 - 10-3
2016 - 9-4
2017 - 7-6
2018 - 9-5
2019 - 11-3
2021 - 10-4
2022 - 10-4

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds