Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

If Nebraska becomes Utah, would you be satisfied? (2 Viewers)

Is Utah a standard we should strive for?

• Yes

Votes: 22 45.8%
  • No

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Fuck Cockeye

Votes: 23 47.9%

• Total voters

Papa...Football

3rd Gen Teller of Bad Dad Jokes
Elite Member
I’d take Utah’s scenery over Nebraska’s.

I originally wanted to be a geologist and that state is beautiful (at least what I’ve seen).

Arches (Moab), Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capital Reef, Canyonlands.

Wife and I took a motorcycle trip thru there and it was awesome!

tman87

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
I’d take Utah’s scenery over Nebraska’s.

I originally wanted to be a geologist and that state is beautiful (at least what I’ve seen).

Arches (Moab), Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capital Reef, Canyonlands.

Wife and I took a motorcycle trip thru there and it was awesome!

Southern Utah is my favorite topography in the entire US. I have been through there several times. 10 years ago I took a solo motorcycle trip down through Moab, then down into northern Arizona, then back up to southern Utah. Went through and hiked all of the parks you mentioned, except Capital Reef. I was tent camping and usually wasn't finding my camping spot until almost dark each day, as I wanted to spend every minute possible riding through and hiking these stunningly beautiful parks. I could live in the Moab area - just love that whole are and the topography of southern Utah.

Mavsker

Big Ten referee
tPB OG
I took the question as meaning Nebraska becomes as good as Utah. Utah wouldn't win the Big Ten so imo we're not even talking about conference championships here. It would be a good start, but long-term, PASS.

Papa...Football

3rd Gen Teller of Bad Dad Jokes
Elite Member
Southern Utah is my favorite topography in the entire US. I have been through there several times. 10 years ago I took a solo motorcycle trip down through Moab, then down into northern Arizona, then back up to southern Utah. Went through and hiked all of the parks you mentioned, except Capital Reef. I was tent camping and usually wasn't finding my camping spot until almost dark each day, as I wanted to spend every minute possible riding through and hiking these stunningly beautiful parks. I could live in the Moab area - just love that whole are and the topography of southern Utah.
Agreed! I’ve rode in all 50 states and of the lower 48, Utah is at the top of the list to return and spend way more time in.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Utah's success in the Pac 12 has been really good.

But they don't recruit nor try to recruit at the level it takes to be a national contender.

Would I like the records Utah has put up over the past decade? Yes

But I also want Nebraska's NIL and recruiting operation to be more on the level of an SEC/Big 10 power.

There's only about 15-20 programs a year that recruit (pay) at a level that is even capable of being competitive at the highest tier of college football right now.

Bama
Auburn
Georgia
LSU
A&M
Florida
Florida St
Clemson
Ohio St
Penn St
Michigan
Texas
OU
USC
Oregon
Miami
Ole Miss

That's the list. What other schools have the depth and talent to win 2-3 straight playoff games?

No other schools play the pay game well enough to be on that level right now.

The counter argument is TCU. But I think they were an anomaly. They hurt like 6 QBs last year and won a ton of 1 score games and didn't win their own conference.

You can say Nebraska NIL is good. But they aren't cheating enough to recruit with these guys.

Losing happens at the top levels *see Penn State/A&M*. What I can't understand is if Nebraska, who supposedly has a rabid fanbase, isn't willing to pay what it takes to acquire talent..then what do they expect out of the team? Utah is at their celing because they can't acquire more talent without paying more.

I want Nebraska to get to Utah levels of winning and then break through with talent acquisition like the big boy schools do it.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Pros
- Offense built on a power run game to open up the passing game
- One of the best offensive lines in the country year in, year out
- Tough, hard nosed defense full of playmakers
- A high number of NFL prospects, being known as an "NFL factory." 5+ draft picks every year.

Cons
- While usually competing for conference titles every season, never taken seriously as a national title contender
- Because of our location, it will be harder to truly ever recruit on the level of a Georgia/Alabama/Ohio State/USC
- Get embarrassed whenever we play against a national elite (think Bo in every big game ever)

Would you guys be OK with this?
I would be ecstatic for as long as I never felt like we plateaued.

Also, Utah is 3-0 vs USC in last 3 match ups.

Lastly, if we are competing for a B1G championship going forward we are competing for a natty

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Pros
- Offense built on a power run game to open up the passing game
- One of the best offensive lines in the country year in, year out
- Tough, hard nosed defense full of playmakers
- A high number of NFL prospects, being known as an "NFL factory." 5+ draft picks every year.

Cons
- While usually competing for conference titles every season, never taken seriously as a national title contender
- Because of our location, it will be harder to truly ever recruit on the level of a Georgia/Alabama/Ohio State/USC
- Get embarrassed whenever we play against a national elite (think Bo in every big game ever)

Would you guys be OK with this?
I also edited your poll so I could select both Yes and Fuck Cockeye.

Husker_in_OK

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
If we're talking about the undefeated Utah team under Urban Meyer back in 2005. Then yes, I'd like to aspire to be that team

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I would be ecstatic for as long as I never felt like we plateaued.

Also, Utah is 3-0 vs USC in last 3 match ups.

Lastly, if we are competing for a B1G championship going forward we are competing for a natty
Do you think Utah with the current team competes at a Big 10 championship level?

I don't think they do. They are a really good program, no doubt. Love their coach. What he's done there is impressive. But Ohio St beat them in the Rose Bowl 2 years ago with a bunch of their guys sitting out. To me they are on the level of a Wisconsin or Cockeye. Really good, way ahead of where Nebraska is, but at their ceiling.

Is Utah really good or have they taken advantage of a Pac 12 where the Arizona's have been miserable, USC was down, Washington chose the wrong coach to take over for Petersen and Oregon went through 3 coaching changes. Kind of like Pelini and Wisconsin did those first 2 years of the Big 10 when Michigan and Ohio St were down and Penn State was molesting children.

Utah may win the Pac 12 again...they could also possibly as the 5th or 6th best team in the Big10.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Do you think Utah with the current team competes at a Big 10 championship level?

I don't think they do. They are a really good program, no doubt. Love their coach. What he's done there is impressive. But Ohio St beat them in the Rose Bowl 2 years ago with a bunch of their guys sitting out. To me they are on the level of a Wisconsin or Cockeye. Really good, way ahead of where Nebraska is, but at their ceiling.

Is Utah really good or have they taken advantage of a Pac 12 where the Arizona's have been miserable, USC was down, Washington chose the wrong coach to take over for Petersen and Oregon went through 3 coaching changes. Kind of like Pelini and Wisconsin did those first 2 years of the Big 10 when Michigan and Ohio St were down and Penn State was molesting children.

Utah may win the Pac 12 again...they could also possibly as the 5th or 6th best team in the Big10.
Yeah I would have a hard time seeing Utah at a Ohio State, Michigan or USC level, but I could see them being a Penn State or Wisconsin level in the B1G.

nja13

2x All-state FG/PAT holder
Elite Member
If we were winning games and conference titles like Utah, I think we'd be taken more seriously as a national contender because we're Nebraska and in the Big Ten.

Stan Raymond

Cornerback
I think our standard is Nebraska. I'd be perfectly happy if we have Nebraska from 1972 to 1993. I don't need national titles to be happy, even though they are nice, but I do need national relevance. When the top teams in the country are discussed I want Nebraska to be one of the teams mentioned.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
For a while - ABSOLUTELY. Then after a few years I’d be furious we weren’t REAL contenders.
I have lost 99.9% of my Husker fan "real contender" entitlement haha. I think I could feel satisfied by Utah level success for the rest of my life. (I reserve the right to probably change my mind if it ever happens...)

Cornicator

Cornerback
Insider
I vehemently disagree. It's 2023 and recruits are still saying they thought we were in the middle of a cornfield. Lincoln Airport barely has any destinations & Eppley is an hour away from Lincoln. The closest metro areas that pump out football players (KC and STL) we don't have much luck recruiting.

I just spent the past week in the deep south. I drove thru Tuscaloosa, Al, Starkville. MS, and Oxford, MS.

It is truly mind blowing how anyone can call Lincoln, NE rural compared to those towns. They are as country as it comes.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds