Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Hunter Anthony Shirts and Hoodies (1 Viewer)

HuskerPAC

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
It sucks. Just posted about it on RSS. Already in a fight with some meth-addled goober in the Dean thread. Made another OP out of frustration about the whole thing.
Fun to follow that thread. I also think it’s dumb unless you’re a star player. I could see some of these as gag gifts in addition to friends and families buying them. Agreed if it is free to the kids, whatever. But some of these guys aren’t even going to get a tank of gas off of these deals. Lots of this just screams desperate.

“Oh cool a husker shirt…who TF is Trevin Luben?”

HuskerPAC

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
I don’t care that it’s happening, just find some of it humorous. If they can profit, more power to them. No different than “as seen on tv” items that you think are worthless but sell.

Johannes de Silentio

Safety
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Why are you so triggered by it? There’s no downside here at all. Why do you care?
I'm immensely triggered by it. I describe that in depth on RSS. I'll incorporate the response by reference here. If anyone who doesn't have access cares, I'll copy/paste.

Johannes de Silentio

Safety
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I don't have access, please do copy/paste here.
OP: "NIL is influencer-culture garbage; wish we could just do open bags of cash"

NFTs, crappy-graphic hoodies for third-stringers, hunting trips organized on GeoCities websites, JoJo Domann hosting already-obsolete podcast formats. Really? Even more traditional stuff like car dealership endorsements so football players can drive around in ludicrous trucks feels stupider now that it's not illicit. This ain't Rhett Bomar's corruption anymore, and I hate it.

Just pay the players salaries, for God's sake. Big ones. If they still want to pollute social media with the other shit, at least there's a good chance that it really is making them money instead of just being some perverse marketing LARP.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Explanation of my MAFness to another poster:

Yes, I'm MAF about the whole thing. The two main things I like about college football are the Nebraska Cornhuskers and the amateurism-mixed-with-shady-cheating. The former has been declining for a generation; the latter has cratered in but a mere few years. This whole NIL culture, especially combined with the way the transfer portal has operated, makes CFB much less entertaining to me as a fan. You don't have to feel the same way, but I suspect there are many like me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another snippet on same topic:

1) Nebraska needs to be good at NIL in order to be competitive in current CFB. It appeared like they weren't necessarily doing a great job. Maybe that was wrong; maybe they've gotten better. We'll see. In any event, every fan of Nebraska should want them to do great here. I'm not different.

2) NIL is a phenomenon that is affecting not just Nebraska but all of CFB. In conjunction with other recent structural changes like conference realignment's reemergence and the transfer portal, the game is radically different from even five years ago. It's not implausible that this could turn off certain long-time fans. I'm one of them.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds