Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Grass at Memorial Stadium? (1 Viewer)

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
I know Rhule mentioned preferring grass fields when he first got hired, and McKewon said in his article today that Rhule wants it in Memorial Stadium. Is there any momentum behind this for real? I'd love it. Football just *looks* better with dirty uniforms and grass stains, it's science.

iu

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I know Rhule mentioned preferring grass fields when he first got hired, and McKewon said in his article today that Rhule wants it in Memorial Stadium. Is there any momentum behind this for real? I'd love it. Football just *looks* better with dirty uniforms and grass stains, it's science.

iu
I hope they put in grass. I know artificial turfs have improved immensely since I played but when I played I absolutely hated playing on artificial turf. Could feel it in my legs, feet & knees whether practice or games. My whole lower body hurt and felt drained after a game from running on the turf. Grass seemed so much more forgiving on my legs. I can remember a few years back when a Free Agent outfielder in Major League Baseball said he wouldn't sign with a team that had artificial turf because of the wear & tear on his body compared to natural grass.

Rhule said he prefers grass for games and practice so thats good enough for me. I'm sure Rhule has stats that he would use in recruiting players explaining why practicing and playing on grass is better for them short and long term.

2010sarenevercoming

5 Star Punter
Elite Member
Why wouldn’t we / why haven’t we already??
Because this used to be what happened to grass fields all the time. Now imagine you don't have massive separate practice fields, and once it gets ripped up, it's trashed & almost impossible to bring back for the rest of the season. And multiply that several times over if you have other events at the stadium.

Less of an issue these days due to separate practice fields, better grass tech, and more money poured into management systems & crews, but you've also got the added cost & construction for setup of the turf management if you want to completely switch out systems, so it's easier & more predictable to roll out a new carpet.

1716222004099.png

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
It would be cool if we put in a heated grass system like they have in Green Bay and other NFL stadiums. The field is heated by underground water pipes. Can't imagine damage to my body from having a 325 DT landing on top of me on a frozen grass or artificial turf field during a cold November game.

Osborne1992

Linebacker
Elite Member
We did just spend a few million a couple years ago on new field turf...or maybe it was just last year?

At any rate, I'd think we'd need to use that for awhile...OR if it can be reused, perhaps a local high school could get a good deal on used field turf.
We also paid Frost like $9 million to fuck off a week early. I think we can manage this

cwessel76

Run The Damn Ball
Elite Member
tPB OG
a loyal husker fan should volunteer to spin their truck tires all over the current turf so the university can take an insurance policy out on it
I’m sure we can all get together, have some chili, and take explosive dumps on the field.

That might prove to be a biohazard concern though.

CornHub

Offensive Lineman
It’s incredible how poor some Husker fans think we are. We have unlimited money
We're definitely not as rich as some people think. We have several sports facilities in desperate need of upgrades and apparently not enough money to do it.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds