Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Breaking Glenn Thomas Official N (1 Viewer)

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
nice few paragraphs on Glenn Thomas' influence on the Steelers after Matt Canada was fired from Rivals' Zack Carpenter:

Thomas was an offensive assistant with the Steelers for just one season in 2023. Pittsburgh fired OC Matt Canada after Week 11 as the Steelers had crawled to a 6-4 record despite a negative point differential (-29) and being outgained in each of their first 10 games. They ranked 28th of 32 NFL teams in scoring offense (16.6 points per game), 28th in yards per game (280.1) and 31st in passing yards per game (170).

>> Pittsburgh Steelers' playoff push got a jump-start once Glenn Thomas' influence on the offense increased

The Steelers turned to QBs coach Mike Sullivan and RBs coach Eddie Faulkner to handle OC duties, but the scuttlebutt was pretty strong that Thomas had more responsibilities and influence on the structure of the offense once Canada was gone.
Pittsburgh saw immediate dividends once it fired Canada, eclipsing the 400-yard mark the very next week while beating the Cincinnati Bengals after being the lone team in the NFL to not have a single game of 400 yards in the previous 59 games under Canada. Over the final seven games – again, with Thomas having been rumored to have had a bigger hand in the offense – the Steelers jumped to 19.7 points per game, 338.9 yards per game and 209 passing yards per game.
The Steelers had more total passing yards over those final seven games than the first 10 combined, and they had nearly the same amount of total yards over the final seven compared to the first 10. It overall led to better sustainability, a 4-3 finish, a 10-7 overall record and a playoff berth.
Thomas bookended an eight-year path as college OC/QBs coach with the one-year stint in Pittsburgh and seven years with the Atlanta Falcons. He was an offensive assistant in Atlanta for four seasons (2008-11) before earning a promotion to quarterbacks coach with the Falcons (2012-14), who went 56-24 during Thomas’ first four seasons with the organization before a 10-22 mark in his last two years.

Tsakoi

Running Back
Elite Member
Paul Chryst probably didn't want the Cockeye OC job since it might only be for one year and then he would have to move again. There is nobody on this planet that think Kirk is gonna just keep chugging along indefinitely. And this year they won't be able to take advantage of a weak Big 10 West. This year you have to win for real. Also they don't have a QB or any WRs to speak of and that has to be a factor. Why would anyone want to join them? They haven't brought in any transfers of note and their returning QB makes the Statue of Liberty look mobile.

BugeaterInWa

Linebacker
Elite Member
Led by HuskerGarrett his rise to stardom has dominated the competition amongst the Nebraska sports media. The announcement of Coach Rhule was made on tPB well in advance of any other media outlet. In fact the announcement was ridiculed by the clowns directing the Tater Island website (Sparkle Callahan et al).

"It's the best message board on the planet."

-Jim14510-

"I've devoted every spare minute in my life to assist in the education and breaking news on Nebraska sports."

-Carm-

"I like to stick candy up my asshole and then suck it clean."

-Baron Winnebago-

"I got some ice cream, I got some ice cream... wanna lick, syke"

-Eddie Murphy

vailhusker

Heisman Winner
Insider

New Huskers assistant Glenn Thomas 'fired up to be here'​

It seems all the right ingredients to make for a good first week or so on the job.

A new challenge. A setting where he can already tell fans are fueled for football. Some well-known faces on staff with a head coach he considers a mentor. Young QBs eager to learn and lead.

Yes, Glenn Thomas can scribble checkmarks down the paper on why he's in Nebraska, with a house already under contract and his family moving here in a few weeks.

"It was cool to see all the familiar faces from Garret McGuire, who I coached in college, to E.J. (Barthel), who was in the recruiting department back in the day. Coop [Evan Cooper}. You name it..." said Nebraska's newest full-time assistant coach on the Huskers Radio Network on Tuesday night. "It just made total sense in that way and obviously I knew the expectation from Coach Rhule as far as culture and standard. What he really preaches here, I understand what that was and I felt like I could add to that coming here to this staff."

A native of West Texas, with an accent offering the hint, Thomas is hopeful his time as both a college coach and in the NFL – which included work with Matt Ryan when the QB had some of his best days in Atlanta – can serve him well now in his new post.

Husker fans know it's a big post: QBs coach and co-offensive coordinator after serving last year as an offensive assistant with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

"From a professional perspective I think you have to approach it a little bit different. Obviously (in the NFL) you're dealing with a grown man that has a mortgage and kids and the whole deal and been in the league eight to 10 years, where coming here you're maybe dealing with an 18-year-old freshman that's kind of creating that foundation of football," Thomas said in the interview with Greg Sharpe.

He's thinking his time at both the college and pro levels has made him a better coach, having learned how to communicate with a seven-year Pro Bowler and also having coached 18-year-olds thrown in as a starter to his college team right off the bat.

"So I think that's helped me really be conscience and deliberate in my coaching style and how I deliver information," Thomas said.

He'll coach a room with three scholarship QBs in junior Heinrich Haarberg and freshmen Dylan Raiola and Daniel Kaelin, the latter two already on campus as early enrollees.

It is fun getting those young guys fresh to the college game. Of course there are challenges to be met with it too.

"You got to figure out where they are. What is their floor, as you will, and build upon that," Thomas said. "I think there's a lot of feedback that needs to happen early. Let them talk. Let them communicate what they know, their experiences, what they like – what they think they like – and then how you can build upon that. So I think that's probably the first challenge."

That process has begun in the last few days.

Thomas did know Raiola a little bit when the Raiola family was down in Arizona while Thomas was coaching with Arizona State. He's also been impressed, he said, with Haarberg and Kaelin in his initial conversations with them.

"Extremely hard workers. Leaders. You can already tell that they got a great aura and persona about them, so I think we're in a great place with those guys."

Thomas reminded it's not just Raiola and Kaelin on the first pages of the playbook.

"I think it's all of us, right? We're kind of starting from Day 1. I'm kind of learning the offense myself. I don't think it's anymore pressure on them than it is for me," he said. So the last few days have featured those initial conversations about what they did last year, and how something was coached and how can anything be adjusted a little bit. "So I think it's all of us: start from the very basics and then build upon that."

Some days you'll go faster and some days you need to take a step back and revisit, the coach added.

He won't need an introduction to Marcus Satterfield, who also holds offensive coordinator duties and will coach the tight ends, Rhule announced along with the Thomas hire.

Satterfield and Thomas have known each other for more than 20 years. After his 2014 season with the Atlanta Falcons, that link paved the way for Thomas to take the open QBs coaching job at Temple. He didn't know Matt Rhule yet until that season.

"But had the chance through Satt to get a chance to talk with Coach Rhule and it all lined up that (that) was going to workout," he said. "So got a chance to go up to Philly and be the quarterback coach up there in '15. That was a great time. I'm from a little small town in West Texas and to end up in center city Philadelphia was really a great experience for me. We were able to win some games and had some production so that was kind of my interaction with Coach Rhule. And then from then on he's been a mentor of mind and really respect what he does and how he builds programs."

As for his new surroundings, Thomas said the facilities are even "more than expected" seeing them in person and describing it like no other.

But just as impressive to him, he added, was the energy he felt from the players, seeing them bouncing around with urgency as they headed for 6:30 a.m. winter workouts. It gave him a strong vibe the culture is in place and headed in the right direction.

It got him as excited as any new building could.

"Just fired up to be here and get plugged in with the community, which is fantastic," he said of coming to Lincoln with his wife and two sons, aged 11 and 13. "That's one thing when you walk in here and you feel the energy of what Lincoln is and the support of what this place is. It's unique. It's like no other. We're at the basketball game last weekend for junior day, just walking in there and you feel the energy in the stadium. And people (saying), 'Hey Coach, glad to have you here.' It's really cool. You really feel it when you're actually here."

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds