Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Favorite Cornhusker (1 Viewer)

bbenson67

Cornerback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Favorite to me doesn't necessarily mean the most talented but more what their contribution at the time meant historically to the program. I'm older and have been watching the Huskers since the Gotham Bowl in 1962.

Given that the Game of the Century was the most important game Nebraska played in the Devaney era and arguably ever, since the outcome would shape the future of the program for the next 30+ years, my pick is Jeff Kinney. Seeing him blasting through the Oklahoma defense time after time with his tear away jersey in tatters and carrying the future of the Husker program on his back was one of the most inspiring performances in Husker history.

My number 2 pick is The Jet. Clearly the most talented player I've ever seen.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
Dana Brinson and DeJuan Groce. Nothing like a punt return to raise the blue hairs out of their seats and light the stadium on fire.

Also a big fan of Rich Glover. Not a huge guy IRL (we’ve smoke cigars together), but like @bbenson67 mentioned, he showed up big in the Game of the Century by stonewalling Tom Breheney, the Oklahoma center.

I’ll also sheepishly admit that I remain to this day a fan of Jack Mildren, the OU QB in that game. His mastery of that wishbone offense was a thing of beauty. I’m glad we had the ball last in that game, and Johnny the Jet’s return won the day.

bbenson67

Cornerback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Dana Brinson and DeJuan Groce. Nothing like a punt return to raise the blue hairs out of their seats and light the stadium on fire.

Also a big fan of Rich Glover. Not a huge guy IRL (we’ve smoke cigars together), but like @bbenson67 mentioned, he showed up big in the Game of the Century by stonewalling Tom Breheney, the Oklahoma center.

I’ll also sheepishly admit that I remain to this day a fan of Jack Mildren, the OU QB in that game. His mastery of that wishbone offense was a thing of beauty. I’m glad we had the ball last in that game, and Johnny the Jet’s return won the day.
Mildren was an artist at QB in the wishbone. Interesting side note on one of the final timeouts before Nebraska scored the winning TD. Devaney told Tagge just don't score too quickly because we don't want to give Mildren the ball with much time left. Respect.

doublewing

Running Back

Funny that you mention Brinson. I sometimes revisit old NU games on youtube and dialed up the ASU game from '88. I attended that when I was in HS and revisited it as it was a fun night game.

Brinson returns a punt that had a wall he could have driven a semi through. That and they almost blocked the punt. For all the talk about the NU running offense and the blackshirts during TO's era, special teams were right up there and don't get enough credit.

Huskers633

Cornerback
Elite Member
My favorite players from when I first started paying attention were Corey Dixon and Calvin Jones. I was probably around 7 or 8. As I got a little older my favorites were DeJuan Groce, Joe Walker, Mike Minter, and Mike Brown.

doublewing

Running Back
I was a big Steve Taylor fan.
I remember him being recruited. Both he and Jamelle Holieway were highly rated CA QB's out of the same class. NU got Taylor and OU Holieway and both were great college players.

Taylor also had a very good CFL career. Had the spread/RPO style offense been in place in the 80's, he would have been much better suited for that and an NFL prospect.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
I remember him being recruited. Both he and Jamelle Holieway were highly rated CA QB's out of the same class. NU got Taylor and OU Holieway and both were great college players.

Taylor also had a very good CFL career. Had the spread/RPO style offense been in place in the 80's, he would have been much better suited for that and an NFL prospect.
He was the first Nebraska QB that could somewhat throw. I don't really remember the 83 season.

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
I'm gonna go with @HuskerGarrett . Once you get past his numerous issue, he's an alright guy.
Suck Up Yes Man GIF by Noise Nest Network

bbenson67

Cornerback
Elite Member
tPB OG

One more anecdote and this concerns Rich Glover. Do you remember when he was being interviewed after the Game of the Century by the side line reporter? The ABC sports babe was gushing over all his tackles and asked him jokingly if he ever thought about taking up wrestling? He looked at her for a moment and said, no I'll stick to football. The look on her face was priceless.

HuskerDocCo

100 & havin fun GBR !!
tPB OG
One more anecdote and this concerns Rich Glover. Do you remember when he was being interviewed after the Game of the Century by the side line reporter? The ABC sports babe was gushing over all his tackles and asked him jokingly if he ever thought about taking up wrestling? He looked at her for a moment and said, no I'll stick to football. The look on her face was priceless.
did it seem like she wanted him to “gush” and give her a Pearl necklace later that evening?

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds