Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Did Frost really say that? (1 Viewer)

hothouse_corn

Wide Receiver
"Winning is a habit. Losing is a habit. Trying to break that cycle. Just takes a few wins in a row. I just want to see it happen for these guys."

I didn't read the rest of the thread before posting, but this part of his quote is spot on for Scott, according coach speak, pundits, and most fans. If you're mad at Scott for this part, please think again, because most people believe this all to be true. The real question is can Scott break the cycle and build a winning habit.

Scott needs to prove it...get 3-4 wins in a row, build on that momentum, and get more wins after that. He needs to prove to his players, coaches, the media, and the fans that he can get wins in a row, and build momentum.

Sure, blaming some of that on the previous staff(s) is grating to me, but its partially true. At the same time, that was all so long ago it probably doesn't need to be mentioned at press conferences ever again.

Black Dean

Dean but also Black
Insider
tPB OG
I didn't read the rest of the thread before posting, but this part of his quote is spot on for Scott, according coach speak, pundits, and most fans. If you're mad at Scott for this part, please think again, because most people believe this all to be true. The real question is can Scott break the cycle and build a winning habit.

Scott needs to prove it...get 3-4 wins in a row, build on that momentum, and get more wins after that. He needs to prove to his players, coaches, the media, and the fans that he can get wins in a row, and build momentum.

Sure, blaming some of that on the previous staff(s) is grating to me, but its partially true. At the same time, that was all so long ago it probably doesn't need to be mentioned at press conferences ever again.

If Scott hasn’t broken the cycle by now in 4-years he needs to get the fuck out. Last Nebraska coach who wasn’t able to win 3-games in a row was Jennings.

Devaney, Osborne, Solich & Bo all did it in there first 3 games.

Riley and Callahan did it in there second seasons.

Solich won 3-games in a row 29x
Pelini 19x
Callahan 6x
Riley 5x

It’s on Scott Frost for not being able to build momentum.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member

This is why I ask people to be able to separate "excuses" from "facts". The quote is true, there are winning habits and losing habits. I'm not sur what the day to day in NS looks like, but it sure as hell looks like losing habits with about 8 minutes to go on 50% of Saturdays right now. Or in pure losses, most Saturdays. Individuals have to have winning habits, and then that turns into a collective team unit have winning habits. I don't know what's true or not in the Frost rumors, but it is all relative. If he was doing things that wouldn't be considered "winning habits", and his players knew about it, then I can see how that would trickle down into the first 2.5-3 years that we saw.

I'll always be of the mindset that coaches can only do so much, players have to execute on game days and apply any winning habits they've been taught. Shit, even if they question coaching even a little, they should still be good enough and smart enough athletes at this level to go a little rouge from time to time and make a play. It's just being an athlete.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
If Scott hasn’t broken the cycle by now in 4-years he needs to get the fuck out. Last Nebraska coach who wasn’t able to win 3-games in a row was Jennings.

Devaney, Osborne, Solich & Bo all did it in there first 3 games.

Riley and Callahan did it in there second seasons.

Solich won 3-games in a row 29x
Pelini 19x
Callahan 6x
Riley 5x

It’s on Scott Frost for not being able to build momentum.
It's on the program as a whole

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
The Frost Davidians don't buy that logic. How dare you say something bad about a Husker Legend. It's still Riley's fault!!!! Sad how some of our fans accept losing like we are
I wouldn't blame Mike Riley for an Adrian fumble against Michigan or a Cerni botched punt. And I hate Mike Riley. But those two things still wouldn't be his fault.

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
I wouldn't blame Mike Riley for an Adrian fumble against Michigan or a Cerni botched punt. And I hate Mike Riley. But those two things still wouldn't be his fault.
If stuff like those two things you listed were isolated incidents then it's hard to 100% blame coaches.

When they are constantly repeating the same type of mistakes and behavior then it is 100% coaching. We constantly make the same mistakes over and over, so it falls on coaching.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
If stuff like those two things you listed were isolated incidents then it's hard to 100% blame coaches.

When they are constantly repeating the same type of mistakes and behavior then it is 100% coaching. We constantly make the same mistakes over and over, so it falls on coaching.
For me it's opposite. First time or two there's an issue, coach them up. If players repeatedly mess things up, then to me that's the player issue for not doings things correctly. You can say that's the coaching issue for Recruiting that player, I won't argue there.

Coach tries to teach me a new curveball grip. Curveballs obviously work well if thrown correctly. If I can't throw it correctly over time, that's a me issue for not being able to do it.

DrinkItIn

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG
For me it's opposite. First time or two there's an issue, coach them up. If players repeatedly mess things up, then to me that's the player issue for not doings things correctly. You can say that's the coaching issue for Recruiting that player, I won't argue there.

Coach tries to teach me a new curveball grip. Curveballs obviously work well if thrown correctly. If I can't throw it correctly over time, that's a me issue for not being able to do it.

And if you can't or be taught to learn to throw a curveball, I am guessing your coach would take away your spot in the starting rotation no?

So why are those players still playing if they can't get it right? Is there no better player to take their spot if they keep fucking up? If there isn't a better player why didn't the coaches recruit or find portal players where they foresee a potential weak spot?

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
And if you can't or be taught to learn to throw a curveball, I am guessing your coach would take away your spot in the starting rotation no?

So why are those players still playing if they can't get it right? Is there no better player to take their spot if they keep fucking up? If there isn't a better player why didn't the coaches recruit or find portal players where they foresee a potential weak spot?
Well, we found out vs Purdue the Contreraz is competent enough to fill in for Culp... Who had consistently fucked up for 8 games. He may not be a world-beater but he only needs to be marginal to be an upgrade, yet it took until week 9 to even give him a shot despite glaring issues that likely impacted multiple games.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member

I won't argue that, you're correct. But for very specific events like some of these, in Year 4, I'm holding players accountable more than coaches. Context always matters. I would do the same with Riley and I hated Riley. If we were in games like we have been this year, and it was Tanner Lee instead of Adrian, I'm putting on Tanner every time. Not the staff's fault that Yant slipped on the hand off. I hated the play call and wanted it under center, but Yant has to be an athlete there. How the hell do you go from BIG Kicker of the Year in 2020 to blowing dick the next season?

Full disclosure, Frost doesn't deserve a 5th year. But I'm not blaming him for everything like most do. Athletes just gotta be athletes sometimes.

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I won't argue that, you're correct. But for very specific events like some of these, in Year 4, I'm holding players accountable more than coaches. Context always matters. I would do the same with Riley and I hated Riley. If we were in games like we have been this year, and it was Tanner Lee instead of Adrian, I'm putting on Tanner every time. Not the staff's fault that Yant slipped on the hand off. I hated the play call and wanted it under center, but Yant has to be an athlete there. How the hell do you go from BIG Kicker of the Year in 2020 to blowing dick the next season?

Full disclosure, Frost doesn't deserve a 5th year. But I'm not blaming him for everything like most do. Athletes just gotta be athletes sometimes.
We get it you have been a very loyal Frost Davidian and hate Riley even though Riley won more games in 3 seasons than Frost will win in 4. We are just fans so why don't we listen to the experts, not the media or fellow fans but the people who get paid to Coach and run teams.

Ask yourself this, "What would Nick Saban do?". If players aren't good enough he recruits over them. If players aren't able to be coached up he replaces them. And to show your understanding of football you say you would take Adrian Martinez over Tanner Lee. Do you consider yourself smarter than NFL Coaches and GM's? Do you think Adrian will get drafted or play in the NFL? You bag on a player Lee who was on a Lame Duck team that got drafted in the 6th Round of the NFL Draft. And he played in the NFL, the friggin NFL but you would rather have Adrian Martinez who has never once in his high school or college career had a winning record. How do you define Loser? Playing in the NFL or never being the starting QB of a winning team?

251184320_10226818537149074_8926567694968896739_n.jpg

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
We get it you have been a very loyal Frost Davidian and hate Riley even though Riley won more games in 3 seasons than Frost will win in 4. We are just fans so why don't we listen to the experts, not the media or fellow fans but the people who get paid to Coach and run teams.

Ask yourself this, "What would Nick Saban do?". If players aren't good enough he recruits over them. If players aren't able to be coached up he replaces them. And to show your understanding of football you say you would take Adrian Martinez over Tanner Lee. Do you consider yourself smarter than NFL Coaches and GM's? Do you think Adrian will get drafted or play in the NFL? You bag on a player Lee who was on a Lame Duck team that got drafted in the 6th Round of the NFL Draft. And he played in the NFL, the friggin NFL but you would rather have Adrian Martinez who has never once in his high school or college career had a winning record. How do you define Loser? Playing in the NFL or never being the starting QB of a winning team?

251184320_10226818537149074_8926567694968896739_n.jpg
I would take Adrian over Tanner Lee right now, yes. If I would option for someone else over Adrian right now, would I take them? Maybe, depending on who it is. Adrian is an athlete, but not a winner. He is who he is right now. We lose Saturday, cut ties with Adrian, say thank you and let Logan finish the year and see what happens.

Tanner Lee was bad at Nebraska. Tanner Lee was bad in the NFL. Tanner Lee got drafted because of measurements. Measurements don't win games.

Don't want either of them at the very moment.

Mythosaur

Bench Warmer
Elite Member
I just can never wrap my mind around the fact that he never takes responsibility for any of this. It’s always “they need to be better in this or that situation”, or “they shouldn’t need motivated all the time”, or etc. etc. When is he gonna realize that the reason this team is the way they are is because of the training they’re getting from their coaches? Obviously they consistently respond a certain way because of the way they are developed. Change something up with your methods. That’s the analysis you’re paid for, not excuse making.
Taking responsibility when things go wrong takes a level of humility I don’t believe he possesses. It appears beyond his capability to imagine that he has anything to do with what’s going wrong. That’s why I want him gone more than anything. You can’t trust the judgement of someone who thinks that way.

Ext. 55

Big Poppa
Elite Member
tPB OG
Taking responsibility when things go wrong takes a level of humility I don’t believe he possesses. It appears beyond his capability to imagine that he has anything to do with what’s going wrong. That’s why I want him gone more than anything. You can’t trust the judgement of someone who thinks that way.
Welcome to tPB...and here is yore first like. Carry on and god bless you.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds