Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

New Commit Daniel Kaelin is N (1 Viewer)

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Serious question. If he was such a big husker fan growing up why choose Missouri over Nebraska to just back out and come here anyways? Did it have to do with not having an offer or what?
My read on it is that big program B1G or SEC offers are the holy grail for HS QBs. There's only like 15 of these every year. If you're a high 3* you probably know that you have to grab one of these while you can or you might get stuck at a Big12 school.

That's why I think Kaelin went so quickly for Mizzou. Probably no real emotional connection there, he just knew he was up against the clock.

Sous Chef

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
I always thought the Dylan Riola factor, was more important than landing Dylan Riola. The bump in landing other prospects trumped his abilities.
When it was suggested that part of Nebraska getting a commit from Dylan was if he could get a bunch of high four stars to join him here my brief hopes we would actually land him became vanishingly small. It all felt so much like the Riley recruiting. Eye popping visits and all kinds of hype but nothing but middle fingers from them come time to commit. It would be so tiresome to try list them all but remember Darnay Holmes? All of those four star receivers that went anywhere but here? Thats how I was feeling about the big recruiting weekend with all of those players. We MIGHT get one or two. MIGHT. But the majority were never seriously considering it IMO.

Mr.Bojangles

Offensive Lineman
My read on it is that big program B1G or SEC offers are the holy grail for HS QBs. There's only like 15 of these every year. If you're a high 3* you probably know that you have to grab one of these while you can or you might get stuck at a Big12 school.

That's why I think Kaelin went so quickly for Mizzou. Probably no real emotional connection there, he just knew he was up against the clock.
That makes sense also.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG

When something like the Kaelin commit happens, it can be fun to read an old-school sports feature story about it. A number of interesting items in this one.

Steven Sipple: Daniel Kaelin “ripped it” during workout for Husker coaches, and soon he’ll be playing in program where he best belongs​

Steven Sipple•about 1 hour
Article written by:
On3 image
Steven Sipple
steven_sipple
Plenty of people will tell you that Nebraska quarterback recruit Daniel Kaelin can “rip it.” That is, he can throw a football with such velocity that it might just rip through the hands of young receivers.
Well, that happened on Wednesday, a significant day at Bellevue (Nebraska) West High School.
Because Bellevue West’s two best receivers, Dae’Vonn Hall and Isaiah McMorris, were competing at the state track meet, Kaelin went through a workout for Nebraska coaches throwing to mostly Thunderbird backup receivers or defensive backs.
“Two different throws went right through their hands and into their face,” says Bellevue West head coach Mike Huffman, 48, who’s seen plenty in his career.
“I was just laughing,” the coach adds. “Daniel’s got a big arm, now.”
Plus, “He’s been training for this stuff since he was in the fourth grade.”
It was a significant day at Bellevue West because those two Nebraska assistants — Ed Foley and offensive coordinator Marcus Satterfield — were on hand specifically to evaluate Kaelin. Satterfield had flown in from a California recruiting trip for the unplanned visit to Bellevue. He had to see in person just what the kid had in his arsenal.

Tater Island ranks Daniel Kaelin 28th among nation’s QBs

You probably know much of the story: Nebraska’s primary quarterback target, Dylan Raiola, verbally committed to Georgia on Monday. The Huskers’ focus immediately shifted to Kaelin, who had been verbally committed to Missouri since mid-March. He committed to Mizzou in part because there was a time when Raiola-to-Nebraska seemed very possible.
Raiola is ranked as the consensus No. 1 quarterback in the nation for the class of 2024. Kaelin, a three-star recruit, is rated 28th among the nation’s QBs in his class by Tater Island.
Make no mistake, Kaelin had to show Nebraska on Wednesday — the workout began soon after lunchtime — that he should be its guy, Huffman says. If Kaelin had an off day, perhaps Satterfield and Foley would have gone back to Lincoln and told head coach Matt Rhule that they better consider other options.
No problem. Kaelin was on point, and he committed to Nebraska on Saturday.
Let’s be clear: Rhule, who was introduced as Nebraska’s head coach in late November, has been up front with Kaelin from the get-go, “and I’ve appreciated every second of it,” Huffman says. He recalls a conversation with Rhule in January. Huffman asked the new Husker coach point-blank: What’s your recruiting plan for Kaelin and Raiola?
“Coach Rhule attacks every question. He looked me in the eye and said, ‘We would be ecstatic and lucky to have Danny Kaelin as our quarterback, but we are aggressively pursuing another prospect’ — he didn’t use Raiola’s name — ‘and there’s a lot of factors involved. But if that does not go well for us, we will be relentless in pursuit of Danny.”
You know what? Nebraska last week relentlessly pursued Kaelin. Foley, in charge of in-state recruiting, called Huffman immediately upon hearing news of Raiola to Georgia. Was Kaelin open to Nebraska’s overtures? Of course, he was open. Kaelin has wanted to be a Husker since junior high.
Tuesday, Rhule called Huffman from North Carolina, where he was gathering belongings for his family’s move to Lincoln.
Huffman wanted more answers.
“When coach Rhule called Tuesday, I said, ‘Granted, you guys know what you’re doing as coaches, but if you’re moving more toward using a mobile (quarterback), you know, Danny can run, but he’s not a runner,’” Huffman says.
Rhule brought up Spencer Rattler, the former Oklahoma quarterback who played for Satterfield last season for South Carolina. Rattler is a strong-armed QB with accuracy, but he’s not fleet afoot.

QB improves accuracy after rough start in 2022​

There’s another key element in the discussion: Development. Huffman feels Nebraska’s staff can develop Kaelin’s game, and Kaelin’s willingness and ability to learn should help matters.
“He is so smart. So smart,” Huffman says. “He’s like having a coach out there.”
Kaelin’s ability to read the field and quickly process what he sees is one of his strengths.
“Then he also has the arm talent to take advantage of it,” Huffman says.
The 6-foot-3, 205-pound Kaelin this past season threw for 3,186 yards and 36 touchdowns, with only seven interceptions — including five in the first three games.
He was taking too many risks, Huffman says. In fact, Huffman told Kaelin that the picks had to cease immediately. “You’ve got to knock this sh—off!” the coach exclaimed.
Kaelin can handle tough coaching, Huffman says.
He ended up completing 63% of his passes.
“They call him ‘Danny Dimes’ because he’s so accurate,” Huffman says.
Kaelin shared time at his position as a sophomore. Following that 2021 season, Huffman wanted Kaelin to improve his mobility. So, Kaelin trained with Bronson Marsh in LaVista. Huffman didn’t care if Kaelin threw a ball all offseason that year. He wanted the quarterback to improve his change of direction and ability to throw on the move.
“Danny’s not a runner; he’s not Jeff Sims,” Huffman says of Nebraska’s projected 2023 starter. “But he’s certainly capable of pulling the ball on third down and scrambling for a first down or running the RPO game. We do it every week.”
Make no mistake, Nebraska coaches are confident in Sims. That immediately became clear to Huffman. Sims, though, has only two seasons of eligibility remaining.
That could work out perfectly for Kaelin.
“The Nebraska coaches think Jeff Sims is going to have an unbelievable year,” Huffman says. “To the point where if it’s really good, he might have to leave (for the NFL). But he’ll probably come back for that second year. Well, that puts Daniel in his redshirt freshman year.
“Perfect. Absolutely perfect.”

Rhule isn’t a reactionary type, Huffman says​

Kaelin will graduate in December, meaning he’ll be ready to practice for Nebraska next spring.
“It’s all adding up, right? And remember, Daniel has wanted this the whole time,” Huffman says. “We’ve got to be very clear on that. In eighth grade, he wanted to be a Husker.”
Former Nebraska quarterbacks coach Mario Verduzco offered Kaelin a scholarship when he was a freshman at Bellevue West — before he had ever played in a high school game.
Florida State had made an offer to Kaelin before Nebraska did.
“Some of these coaches can be so reactionary on this stuff, which has been kind of refreshing with Rhule because he doesn’t seem that way,” Huffman says.
According to Huffman, former Nebraska coach Scott Frost’s staff didn’t have much contact with Kaelin for several months before Mark Whipple was hired as offensive coordinator in December of 2021.
“Whipple literally said, ‘Why aren’t we paying more attention to this kid — this kid can rip it’” Huffman says.
Oh, yes, Huffman has visions of Kaelin “ripping it” on autumn Saturdays in the Big Ten. It could become incredibly exciting for Huffman. Exciting for Bellevue West in general.
At long last, Huffman, after 11 seasons in charge at Bellevue West, will have a Thunderbird playing QB for Big Red.
“I watch every second of every game,” he says. “Every Saturday, I’m decked out in Husker gear. Every Saturday. I told Danny this week when it was really, really trending (toward Nebraska), ‘Do you remember in 2020 when Zavier (Betts) scored that touchdown against Penn State? The feeling when it’s one of our Bellevue West guys and something happens for Big Red, it’s just different.’”
Bottom line, Nebraska seems like the place where Daniel Kaelin belongs.
He wants to be there. That much is certain.

Fargo Husker

Quarterback
Elite Member

When something like the Kaelin commit happens, it can be fun to read an old-school sports feature story about it. A number of interesting items in this one.

Steven Sipple: Daniel Kaelin “ripped it” during workout for Husker coaches, and soon he’ll be playing in program where he best belongs​

Steven Sipple•about 1 hour
Article written by:
Tater Island image
Steven Sipple
steven_sipple
Plenty of people will tell you that Nebraska quarterback recruit Daniel Kaelin can “rip it.” That is, he can throw a football with such velocity that it might just rip through the hands of young receivers.
Well, that happened on Wednesday, a significant day at Bellevue (Nebraska) West High School.
Because Bellevue West’s two best receivers, Dae’Vonn Halland Isaiah McMorris, were competing at the state track meet, Kaelin went through a workout for Nebraska coaches throwing to mostly Thunderbird backup receivers or defensive backs.
“Two different throws went right through their hands and into their face,” says Bellevue West head coach Mike Huffman, 48, who’s seen plenty in his career.
“I was just laughing,” the coach adds. “Daniel’s got a big arm, now.”
Plus, “He’s been training for this stuff since he was in the fourth grade.”
It was a significant day at Bellevue West because those two Nebraska assistants — Ed Foley and offensive coordinator Marcus Satterfield — were on hand specifically to evaluate Kaelin. Satterfield had flown in from a California recruiting trip for the unplanned visit to Bellevue. He had to see in person just what the kid had in his arsenal.

Tater Island ranks Daniel Kaelin 28th among nation’s QBs

You probably know much of the story: Nebraska’s primary quarterback target, Dylan Raiola, verbally committed to Georgia on Monday. The Huskers’ focus immediately shifted to Kaelin, who had been verbally committed to Missouri since mid-March. He committed to Mizzou in part because there was a time when Raiola-to-Nebraska seemed very possible.
Raiola is ranked as the consensus No. 1 quarterback in the nation for the class of 2024. Kaelin, a three-star recruit, is rated 28th among the nation’s QBs in his class by Tater Island.
Make no mistake, Kaelin had to show Nebraska on Wednesday — the workout began soon after lunchtime — that he should be its guy, Huffman says. If Kaelin had an off day, perhaps Satterfield and Foley would have gone back to Lincoln and told head coach Matt Rhule that they better consider other options.
No problem. Kaelin was on point, and he committed to Nebraska on Saturday.
Let’s be clear: Rhule, who was introduced as Nebraska’s head coach in late November, has been up front with Kaelin from the get-go, “and I’ve appreciated every second of it,” Huffman says. He recalls a conversation with Rhule in January. Huffman asked the new Husker coach point-blank: What’s your recruiting plan for Kaelin and Raiola?
“Coach Rhule attacks every question. He looked me in the eye and said, ‘We would be ecstatic and lucky to have Danny Kaelin as our quarterback, but we are aggressively pursuing another prospect’ — he didn’t use Raiola’s name — ‘and there’s a lot of factors involved. But if that does not go well for us, we will be relentless in pursuit of Danny.”
You know what? Nebraska last week relentlessly pursued Kaelin. Foley, in charge of in-state recruiting, called Huffman immediately upon hearing news of Raiola to Georgia. Was Kaelin open to Nebraska’s overtures? Of course, he was open. Kaelin has wanted to be a Husker since junior high.
Tuesday, Rhule called Huffman from North Carolina, where he was gathering belongings for his family’s move to Lincoln.
Huffman wanted more answers.
“When coach Rhule called Tuesday, I said, ‘Granted, you guys know what you’re doing as coaches, but if you’re moving more toward using a mobile (quarterback), you know, Danny can run, but he’s not a runner,’” Huffman says.
Rhule brought up Spencer Rattler, the former Oklahoma quarterback who played for Satterfield last season for South Carolina. Rattler is a strong-armed QB with accuracy, but he’s not fleet afoot.

QB improves accuracy after rough start in 2022​

There’s another key element in the discussion: Development. Huffman feels Nebraska’s staff can develop Kaelin’s game, and Kaelin’s willingness and ability to learn should help matters.
“He is so smart. So smart,” Huffman says. “He’s like having a coach out there.”
Kaelin’s ability to read the field and quickly process what he sees is one of his strengths.
“Then he also has the arm talent to take advantage of it,” Huffman says.
The 6-foot-3, 205-pound Kaelin this past season threw for 3,186 yards and 36 touchdowns, with only seven interceptions — including five in the first three games.
He was taking too many risks, Huffman says. In fact, Huffman told Kaelin that the picks had to cease immediately. “You’ve got to knock this sh—off!” the coach exclaimed.
Kaelin can handle tough coaching, Huffman says.
He ended up completing 63% of his passes.
“They call him ‘Danny Dimes’ because he’s so accurate,” Huffman says.
Kaelin shared time at his position as a sophomore. Following that 2021 season, Huffman wanted Kaelin to improve his mobility. So, Kaelin trained with Bronson Marsh in LaVista. Huffman didn’t care if Kaelin threw a ball all offseason that year. He wanted the quarterback to improve his change of direction and ability to throw on the move.
“Danny’s not a runner; he’s not Jeff Sims,” Huffman says of Nebraska’s projected 2023 starter. “But he’s certainly capable of pulling the ball on third down and scrambling for a first down or running the RPO game. We do it every week.”
Make no mistake, Nebraska coaches are confident in Sims. That immediately became clear to Huffman. Sims, though, has only two seasons of eligibility remaining.
That could work out perfectly for Kaelin.
“The Nebraska coaches think Jeff Sims is going to have an unbelievable year,” Huffman says. “To the point where if it’s really good, he might have to leave (for the NFL). But he’ll probably come back for that second year. Well, that puts Daniel in his redshirt freshman year.
“Perfect. Absolutely perfect.”

Rhule isn’t a reactionary type, Huffman says​

Kaelin will graduate in December, meaning he’ll be ready to practice for Nebraska next spring.
“It’s all adding up, right? And remember, Daniel has wanted this the whole time,” Huffman says. “We’ve got to be very clear on that. In eighth grade, he wanted to be a Husker.”
Former Nebraska quarterbacks coachMario Verduzco offered Kaelin a scholarship when he was a freshman at Bellevue West — before he had ever played in a high school game.
Florida State had made an offer to Kaelin before Nebraska did.
“Some of these coaches can be so reactionary on this stuff, which has been kind of refreshing with Rhule because he doesn’t seem that way,” Huffman says.
According to Huffman, former Nebraska coach Scott Frost’s staff didn’t have much contact with Kaelin for several months before Mark Whipplewas hired as offensive coordinator in December of 2021.
“Whipple literally said, ‘Why aren’t we paying more attention to this kid — this kid can rip it’” Huffman says.
Oh, yes, Huffman has visions of Kaelin “ripping it” on autumn Saturdays in the Big Ten. It could become incredibly exciting for Huffman. Exciting for Bellevue West in general.
At long last, Huffman, after 11 seasons in charge at Bellevue West, will have a Thunderbird playing QB for Big Red.
“I watch every second of every game,” he says. “Every Saturday, I’m decked out in Husker gear. Every Saturday. I told Danny this week when it was really, really trending (toward Nebraska), ‘Do you remember in 2020 when Zavier (Betts) scored that touchdown against Penn State? The feeling when it’s one of our Bellevue West guys and something happens for Big Red, it’s just different.’”
Bottom line, Nebraska seems like the place where Daniel Kaelin belongs.
He wants to be there. That much is certain.
That was a very good article.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
agree - one of the best he has written since leaving the paper
It's definitely the best thing they've had on their site since the rebrand/move. There was actual new info in that article as opposed to the normal regurgitated info that 24/7, IN and Tater Island guys recycle and post on their sites.

This had actual NEW reporting in it. Crazy! But very good.

Milo-of-Croton

Cornerback
Elite Member
But seriously, I would rather have a smart QB with average athleticism than a not so bright QB with great athleticism. They make too many bad decisions, mistakes. Just my experience, but I like coaching kids you don’t have to keep telling things to over and over. Kaelin is going to be a good quarterback for us.

Goskers07

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
But seriously, I would rather have a smart QB with average athleticism than a not so bright QB with great athleticism. They make too many bad decisions, mistakes. Just my experience, but I like coaching kids you don’t have to keep telling things to over and over. Kaelin is going to be a good quarterback for us.
See also: Zac Taylor.

That one worked out ok for us.

nja13

2x All-state FG/PAT holder
Elite Member
I just helped coach in 8th grade. It was a lot closer to dad hanging out at practice.
Do you (or anyone) know how Florida State found him so early? Did he attend a camp down there or something?

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds