Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Damon Benning talks about his son and his trip to that shit hole across the river (2 Viewers)

Hotcarl

Linebacker
Elite Member
Haha yeah I like DB and Sharp but I only listen during the season, and even then only to certain segments. I think Damon is a smart good guy but he is perpetually stuck between wanting NU to do well and wanting to be honest and insightful in his job, and when those things don't align his brain goes on the fritz.

So when he feels like he has to critique aspects of the program he speaks in codes and riddles so that he doesn't further damage the psyche of the team/fanbase, when he has relevant inside info he speaks in codes and riddles out of respect to his personal relationships, and when he hypes up aspects of the program he also speaks in codes and riddles so that he's not seen as a homer.

He can be exhausting but I do think he's usually trying to talk about things in good faith, rather than be a hater or homer or hot take artist. If nothing else, it makes his commentary hit extra hard when he DOES get emotional and emphatic about things every once in awhile.
This is just spot on

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
Fant, Johnson and now his own son.

It’s time to start asking if DB is Grooming these kids for Cockeye.

FWrixpLXoAYlydn

DuckSker

RedSeaFarts=Sandalwood
Elite Member
He’s done a bunch helping improve OPS from the inside before doing sports talks to that and mentors a bunch of youths in the area, but let’s forget all that
Doesn’t Damon live in an OPS district yet send his kid to Westside? (Non OPS)

…. Yeah i rest my case. And his help obviously didn’t do much- OPS is a complete joke and shithole

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
He doesn’t work for NU nor its fan base. His segment wasn’t pro U of I. But the mongos that think it was pro Cockeyes absolutely spread its footprint. Guarantee the number of hits on that segment and others in the future re: his son and Cockeyes will be through the roof.
No he doesn't work for NU but his job is 90% dependent on NU football. Being independent of NU I respect that he doesn't always tow the line for NU sports like some others in the NU media. His job is very much dependent on the success of NU football though. The longer they suck the less people care and the less listeners he has.

I'm not even really talking about the segment specifically. I still haven't listened to it. I'm just talking about if Caleb goes to Cockeye. A small evil part of me wants him to pick Cockeye just to watch the melt down and what I would assume would be Damon's local celebrity status suffer.

In the end I'd be surprised if that happens which is best for everybody involved. I feel bad for the kid. He's going to go through a lot of drama over who his dad is.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
See, I think his ratings will skyrocket. Clicks and listens surge more after losses, not wins. People looking for a place to vent or hear others vent. Same will be the case if Caleb goes elsewhere. Our fan base hasn’t dwindled under frost it’s just restless for what’s next.

I think it’s also worth noting that Damon says on air he doesn’t think his son is ready yet. The “drama” at this point is manufactured entirely by fans and Damon should absolutely take advantage of that by giving them what they want. Bits and pieces of what they’re going through.
Depends how long the losing goes on. There's a large amount of hard core fans that no amount of losing will matter. They'll as you said still be actively listening and calling in to vent. Losing most definitely reduces the overall number of fans though.

Winning gets you fans Nationally. I'm sure there's people in Nebraska becoming Alabama fans. Not because of any physical ties. They're just fair weather fans and usually young and easily influenced by success.

You win more you have more fans. You lose you don't gain fans. It's not necessarily replacing Nebraska with Alabama either. Maybe it's following your professional team the Chiefs more. No more Damon I'll start tuning into my favorite Chiefs talk show guy.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
I think it’s also worth noting that Damon says on air he doesn’t think his son is ready yet. The “drama” at this point is manufactured entirely by fans and Damon should absolutely take advantage of that by giving them what they want. Bits and pieces of what they’re going through.
I'm not sure what this even means. Kid is going to have some drama. Goes along with being a P5 recruit. The drama from the fans around him is what I'm talking about. There is no drama without the fans. Being the son of a legacy and radio host make it worse.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds