Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Could you ever see Callahan making "changes" with the HOL staff?

Johannes de Silentio

Offensive Lineman
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I just found myself wondering about this as I read TT this morning and saw it pointed out by corn husk that they still referred to Ho'ohuli as a signee when he's not (and it took posters pestering for days to get them to confirm what everyone else was reporting) and how little information Nate Clouse had in his section (and that's not a new thing). There are literally scores of people who have noticed and pointed out in various forums (both here and there, at a minimum) that the recruiting coverage has gone downhill lately. Does it ever reach a point where Callahan fires someone? How would that even go do down? It would have to be about one of the weirdest things that ever happened on that board.

Turning over staff every 10 years is not the way to succeed @Johannes de Silentio ...
😉
Edit: this is really an homage to Dean’s changing narrative about firing Frost (which I agree 3 years is just not enough time), but he has already been updating that from 3 to 4 years on some posts. Already moving the goal posts in prep for next year.

I just found myself wondering about this as I read TT this morning and saw it pointed out by corn husk that they still referred to Ho'ohuli as a signee when he's not (and it took posters pestering for days to get them to confirm what everyone else was reporting) and how little information Nate Clouse had in his section (and that's not a new thing). There are literally scores of people who have noticed and pointed out in various forums (both here and there, at a minimum) that the recruiting coverage has gone downhill lately. Does it ever reach a point where Callahan fires someone? How would that even go do down? It would have to be about one of the weirdest things that ever happened on that board.
The value that HI adds has been lackluster since the summer. I’ll keep it because I enjoy RSS but outside of that...

Turning over staff every 10 years is not the way to succeed @Johannes de Silentio ...
😉
And just to be clear, I don't want anyone to get fired or anything like that. I'm not going to wish ill on folks like that, especially dudes like Nate who are good people. This is more just curiosity, because the notion seems so farfetched to me, but you'd think there'd have to be some point where Callahan would go Scott Frost on someone and arrange for them to "move on."

I have never been a part of 247 but Rivals seems to be getting left behind. Similar to the way Scout did by Rivals.
247s national coverage seems to be way ahead of Rivals. And with no visits in the past year that would be a big asset.
I also think that the struggle is worse because...there’s just not as many fans of a losing team.

I have never been a part of 247 but Rivals seems to be getting left behind. Similar to Scout did by Rivals.
247s national coverage seems to be way ahead of Rivals. And with no visits in the past year that would be a bit asset.
I also think that the struggle is worse because...there’s just not as many fans of a losing team.
We joke about it, but when you seriously compare what Steve Wiltfong brings to the table versus Mike Farrell...yeesh. I wonder if Callahan worries about having hitched himself to a sinking ship despite having the stronger team site (for now).

We joke about it, but when you seriously compare what Steve Wiltfong brings to the table versus Mike Farrell...yeesh. I wonder if Callahan worries about having hitched himself to a sinking ship despite having the stronger team site (for now).
247 is one site redesign away from gaining at least one more subscriber.

247 is one site redesign away from gaining at least one more subscriber.
There are very few things, at this point, that HOL has on Husker247:

1) RSS still shits on their board, even though RSS has taken its hits.

2) Rivals still looks a million times better.

That's it. The national and regional coverage you get from 247 is better; the interaction with other sites is immensely better, e.g., we learned that Kaden Johnson was not N several hours before Clouse got wind of it (he had thought N) due to the Minnesota and Wisconsin 247 guys sharing their information; the prediction functions are actually used and encouraged; and the team coverage guys are, at worst, a wash but have a more chummy vibe on their podcast, which is fun.

I think it’s just because a majority of people have lost interest in recruiting the last couple years.

Hard to get excited when you know the top prospects aren’t coming here and the kids that do end up signing have around a 20-30% chance of even being contributors.
There are definitely external factors that made following it more of a drag this year: no visits, no coaches on the road, some high school seasons called off, etc. Then you factor in the Nebraska-unique features of so many of the members of the '20 class that excited us so much leaving right away, and I get that there was a bit of shine taken off the whole thing. All that notwithstanding, there's clearly still a decent appetite for it, and 247 is definitely doing more legwork on that stuff. They, at least, seem to care more about it.

24/7 provides much better information and it's not even close.

The only reason rivals is doing as well as they are is because of the message board.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Picture grid mode

You can control the structure where you can open/close images in the grid forum list.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

Close radius

You can use the radius at the corners of the blocks according to your taste by closing/opening it.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Backgrounds are not available!

Background checks are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Back