Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Rumor Chip Kelly to be fired after the USC game. (2 Viewers)

Fargo Husker

Quarterback
Elite Member
Wasn’t Kelly doing TV or something before UCLA hired him? I bet he chills for at least a year or two.

Tsakoi

Running Back
Elite Member
We are seeing some old school style coaches being ushered out of CFB. I have to wonder if it has something to do with the changing landscape due to NIL and the portal. Maybe some of these old guys refuse to embrace it and the powers that be see that as a problem in the new environment.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
I figured the meltdowns would be epic this week, but my god are some on this board fucking insufferable.

Slowly becoming RSS lite
Yeah. Love Chip but he is a broken, burned out coach at this point. There is zero fire left in that dude.

I've been following him since he was hired at Oregon. People don't realize, when he was hired as OC at Oregon in 2007 he had already banked 14 seasons of coaching at New Hampshire. 14! And that was 16 fuckin years ago.

Energy & drive-wise, that dude is absolutely burnt to a crisp. He's got nothing left. There's a reason he took the pillow soft UCLA gig over Florida in 2017. He knew he was burned out. So if he was burned out then what does that make him now? He's certainly not stumbled onto a magic energy star since. It's not fuckin Mario kart.

He'd fit in on Rhule's young, energetic staff like David Duke on the Coach Prime sideline. He'd do zero recruiting and put in zero effort and probability wouldn't listen to Rhule anyway. And he'd cost probably $1.3m/yr. Other than that he'd be a great hire.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
We are seeing some old school style coaches being ushered out of CFB. I have to wonder if it has something to do with the changing landscape due to NIL and the portal. Maybe some of these old guys refuse to embrace it and the powers that be see that as a problem in the new environment.
I think more and more coaches are realizing they're 'done' at age 57-60. We're thrown on this because we saw Saban have so much success after age 60 but he is the exception to the rule.

Bo Pelini had the game pass him by at around age 54. Bob Stoops done at 56. Urban Meyer done before 60. Chris Petersen done before 60. Dabo has seen his best days before 60. Chip Kelly whether he continues or not is dunzo as an effective, "cutting edge" coach. Jimbo Fisher is only 58 and he's done for. The days of Bill Snyder or Bobby Bowden roaming the sideline til they're 75 are over.

You got a couple exceptions now with guys like Leipold and Brian Kelly....but mostly when these guys hit 60, they're done being an elite HC (those that have spent 35 yrs in coaching at that point, that is. Those that entered coaching later can be different).

vailhusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
I think more and more coaches are realizing they're 'done' at age 57-60. We're thrown on this because we saw Saban have so much success after age 60 but he is the exception to the rule.

Bo Pelini had the game pass him by at around age 54. Bob Stoops done at 56. Urban Meyer done before 60. Chris Petersen done before 60. Dabo has seen his best days before 60. Chip Kelly whether he continues or not is dunzo as an effective, "cutting edge" coach. Jimbo Fisher is only 58 and he's done for. The days of Bill Snyder or Bobby Bowden roaming the sideline til they're 75 are over.

You got a couple exceptions now with guys like Leipold and Brian Kelly....but mostly when these guys hit 60, they're done being an elite HC (those that have spent 35 yrs in coaching at that point, that is. Those that entered coaching later can be different).
I think the amount money that coaches are making today is also a factor. They can retire earlier with tens of millions of dollars in the bank and go enjoy your life instead of the 24/7 grind if being a head coach.

I don't think you will see guys like Ed Orgeron come back he's 62 years old and living his best life rizzing up college girls on the beach with his new blond wife.

Even look at Frost I don't know what the final tally was with his buyout but the guy is not even 50 yet and has tens of millions in the bank. He doesn't seem to have that competitive edge anymore so why come back. If I were him I would try to make a few good investments and live on an island the rest of my life and hope I would never see the color red again. 🤣

Papa...Football

3rd Gen Teller of Bad Dad Jokes
Elite Member
Yeah. Love Chip but he is a broken, burned out coach at this point. There is zero fire left in that dude.

I've been following him since he was hired at Oregon. People don't realize, when he was hired as OC at Oregon in 2007 he had already banked 14 seasons of coaching at New Hampshire. 14! And that was 16 fuckin years ago.

Energy & drive-wise, that dude is absolutely burnt to a crisp. He's got nothing left. There's a reason he took the pillow soft UCLA gig over Florida in 2017. He knew he was burned out. So if he was burned out then what does that make him now? He's certainly not stumbled onto a magic energy star since. It's not fuckin Mario kart.

He'd fit in on Rhule's young, energetic staff like David Duke on the Coach Prime sideline. He'd do zero recruiting and put in zero effort and probability wouldn't listen to Rhule anyway. And he'd cost probably $1.3m/yr. Other than that he'd be a great hire.
My point had nothing to do with Chip. It was about the constant fire Satt and bitching and whining by certain posters.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
If I'm reading the Turd Alberts tea leaves correctly, the NIL environment is probably going to evolve from it's current "wild, wild booster west" format into something that's directly underneath the university's thumb. That evolution may negate some of the "WTF is going on" feeling that the more experienced corches are feeling these days. An open bidding war for 17 year olds seems like a crazy way to 'croot, but here we are.

bbenson67

Cornerback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Chip's contract gives him an $8mil payout if they fire him before December 2023 and $4mil if they fire him after December 2023 but before December 2024. So, unless they've got a new coach lined up and there's some urgency, I doubt it happens right after the USC game but maybe after December 1st 2023.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds